CLEAN BEAUTY mascara

Top Green Beauty Mascara Picks

This mascara post has been a long time coming!  Having been in green beauty for almost six years now, I’ve tried my fair share of mascaras.  I’m pretty picky when it comes to a stellar formula too.  It has to meet some strict requirements.  I mean a girl doesn’t want just volume, but length, separation, and maybe even a bit of drama.  Who’s with me?!

I had some standards as I tested out mascara.  One it couldn’t be over $30 for a tube.  I knew I wasn’t going to spend that much on a regular basis and I knew if I wasn’t then the average person probably wasn’t going too either.  Next, there have been some mascaras I’ve noticed some people pegging as “clean” but they had questionable ingredients.  For example, if a mascara had phenoxyethanol in it-I didn’t even try it.  My top recommendations are completely clean.  However, there are a few ingredients here and there in some of the other mascaras that rate a higher score on EWG.  In comparison to conventional mascaras, I think they’re pretty good.  But that’s a decision you have to make for yourself.

Also, a few tips on mascara I’ve picked up along the way.  I’ve found for me any mascara, whether conventional or green beauty mascaras, they all do better after a week or two.  It helps when they’ve been exposed to some air.  It makes them become a little more buildable.  So don’t give up on one after a day or two-give it at least a week.  Always swirl the brush inside to pick up product, don’t pump. Once your mascara gets clumpy it’s time to get a new one.  Oh and side note-I never wear mascara on my lower lashes.  I find I haven’t found a solution to the under eye smudging that occurs.

Top Picks-

Hynt Beauty Nocturne Mascara- (Gluten Free)

This mascara-where do I start?!  If you’ve followed me long enough, you know I’m obsessed!  In fact, I need to order some more-almost out.  It gives my lashes volume, separation and length-what more do you want?  It’s the holy grail of green beauty mascaras in my opinion.  Doesn’t clump but lifts my lashes.  I get the dramatic lashes I used to get from mainstream brands, but could never quite get from green beauty formulas.  I love the brush too!  I know mascara can be such a personal pick but for me this is it.  And it’s so clean!  Use coupon code: GurlGGrn20 for 20% off (excludes samples and kits) $24

m01-2t-1

GIA minerals- (Gluten and Cruelty Free)

This may sound like a broken record from what I wrote above about Hynt but they’re both the bee’s knees when it comes to mascara.  GIA’s also lifts my lashes, separates, add volume and lengthens.  It’s just so good!  I don’t get any clumping with this one either.  Just those vixen lashes we all crave!  The brush is very similar to Hynt’s brush.  I don’t get any flaking or irritation with this mascara.  Can’t say enough about this mascara-get it you won’t be disappointed! $28

mascara_52748546-d997-4b26-bd26-37da1f33afab_medium

100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Ultra Lengthening Mascara-

This stuff offers the perfect combination of length and separation.  Plus, it can build up in length quite well after you let it dry for 30 seconds and go back and add some more. It doesn’t claim to be waterproof but water resistant, which is still pretty awesome for a green mascara.  It didn’t flake on me, but held up really well. It didn’t offer quite as much drama to my lashes as I would like but an overall great pick.  Bonus: it smells like blackberries! $25

masblack_grande_cc6904b8-27dd-44c5-a82c-e738f3af2676_1024x1024

W3ll People Expressionist Mascara- (Gluten Free)

I initially didn’t really like this mascara but after giving it two solid weeks I really liked it.  Initially it was hard to get the product off the brush.  In my opinion, it gets better as more air is exposed to it.  It gets a little more goopy and helps the product to be able to build on your lashes.  It didn’t give me quite as much length as I would like but definitely gave my lashes a bit of drama.  It’s not a lightweight mascara, you can see there is product on your lashes.  The brush wasn’t my fave at first-it’s the new high tech rubber brush.  I’m into the old spoodle brushes.  Overall, definitely a great product.  There is a couple ingredients in it that scored a 5 or higher on EWG.  However, they don’t seem significant enough, especially with some data gaps.   $21.99

21mxn7lrlvl-_ac_ul320_sr288320_

Lily Lolo- (Vegan)

This is my most recent mascara find.  This mascara definitely gets some good product on your lashes.  It seems a little wetter of a formula.  It’s a little harder to build the product on the lashes unless I wait a minute or two for the first coat to dry.  I really love the big spoodle brush.  I don’t get any flaking or smudging from it.  It stays on great the whole day.  The only thing I noticed was some irritation when my eyes would water-which was randomly when I had my second baby-hormones are real people!  I feel the formula got better the more I used it and air got to it.  A great all around mascara! $19.50

018

Zuzu Luxe Mascara- (Vegan)

A great everyday mascara, for someone who doesn’t want anything too dramatic.  Adds great color definition and builds well too.  It comes off easy at the end of the day.  It’s a great pick for those who have sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers.  It isn’t going to give you the drama or vixen lashes but a great option for those wanting something a little subdued and have sensitive eyes.  I  also love how easy it is to find.  They sell it at most Whole Foods and natural groceries.  You can get it often for 20% off as well. $17.60

z_onyx-web

Fails-

Zao Organic Volume Mascara-

This does cross over into the $30 range, which I said I wouldn’t buy.  I didn’t buy this one, it came in a beauty subscription box.  I wasn’t impressed with it.  The formula was so wet and it left my lashes more limp than vixen.  It smudged and came off easily too.  At $33.20 a pop, I was disappointed in the overall performance of this mascara.

masc_vol1-525x700

RMS Beauty Volumizing Mascara-

This was probably the biggest flop.  If you’ve been around green beauty long enough you know RMS Beauty.  Their products are superior and ingredients top notch.  However, it unfortunately didn’t translate into their mascara.  The product is almost invincible on my lashes.  I had to coat them but even then you could hardly see the product or a difference.  It flaked too.  There were some questionable ingredients too.  Not worth it at $28.

mascara2_brush1_1024x1024-1

Jane Iredale Purelash Lengthening Mascara-

This is similar to RMS mascara in my opinion.  It was hard to see the product on my lashes or even notice I had on mascara, it was so subtle.  If you like your mascara to look as natural as possible then this would be your mascara.  But for me I want some drama in my lashes!  $24

1855

Honest Beauty Mascara-

This mascara was my least favorite.  However, it’s been a year since I tried it when it first came out.  Since then they have reformulated and the product could be better.  It has a primer on one end and the other end is the mascara.  You wait 60 seconds after you apply your primer and then apply the mascara.  It definitely gave me length and was very buildable.  It didn’t give me as much thickness as I like with my mascaras.  The real reason I didn’t love it- it stung my eyes every time I took it off.  I know sad.  I tried taking it off different ways too but each time, I could barely open my eyes.  My eyes aren’t normally sensitive so I’m not sure what the deal is.  I called Honest and told them of the stinging and they said they had several other people complain about stinging. $22.

images

That sums up my mascara post!  I hope it helped you have a better idea of what mascara you should go for.  XO

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

Shelia
    September 30, 2016 at 9:19 am

I have the Hynt and w3ll people mascara and both of them give me raccoon eyes within hours! Do you have any suggestions on how to stop the under eye smudging? I love the way my lashes look with both mascaras. I have the zuzu and it doesn’t smudge, but doesn’t give that “look”.

Suzi
      September 30, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Oh no! I don’t apply mascara on my lower lashes, only the top. I totally get what you mean about the Zuzu. What if you applied the Hynt or W3ll People on your upper lashes and then ZuZu on your lower? You could also try setting your lower lashes with a translucent powder. It might help soak up some of the excess oil.

Emily
    September 30, 2016 at 9:29 am

I feel like you have always mentioned Coleur caramel in your past posts as top, now I see it’s not even listed. Why?
    I ask because I went off your previous posts and purchased a tube a month ago but I’m not a big fan. Wish I would’ve realized you had a lot of others that ranked higher.

Suzi
      September 30, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Hi Emily! Yes, it used to be my fave and really the only mascara out there for a while that really performed like conventional mascaras. However, I noticed they changed the ingredients and it now has an ingredient that I’m not comfortable using. I’m so sorry! It’s hard sometimes because formulations change and sometimes I’m not even aware until I look at the ingredients again randomly. Companies can be so sneaky! I’ve been working on this mascara post for a while because I wanted to be able to give more of a broad range for people. I had people say Couleur Caramel was too expensive or irritating. I realized mascara is such a personal thing because everyone’s eyes are so different and what might work for one, may not work for another. So I wanted to give people options. I had been waiting to post about mascaras until I had a more broad range of options.

Nina
    September 30, 2016 at 3:58 pm

I’ve been using poofy organics mascara and when that’s out I wanted to try some other brand. Thank you so much for this post.

Suzi
      September 30, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Oh good, of course! I know it can be hard trying to find a good mascara!

Alyssa Brantley | EverydayMaven
    October 15, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for this great review! I am considering the Hynt and wondering if it smudges or flakes a lot? I have been using waterproof mascara since I had Lasik and find that even a little bit of flaking / smudging causes irritation.

Suzi
      October 16, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Hi Alyssa! It does flake a little towards the end of the tube-but usually by that time it’s time to toss it. I didn’t have any smudging! But i think that can often depend on the individual and how their eyes are. Hope that helps!

Rebecca Sherman
    November 16, 2016 at 8:35 am

Hi! Do you have any recommendations for a waterproof mascara?

Suzi
      November 16, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Hi Rebecca!

Yes, there are a couple I like. With mascara in green beauty you won’t get waterproof-no such thing. If it says that they’re using chemicals, which you don’t want anyways. Instead with a lot of green beauty mascaras they will say “water resistant.” The ones I like best are 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Ultra Lengthening Mascara and Honeybee Gardens Truly Natural Mascara. Both say they’re water resistant and I’ve found do the best job. The Honeybee Gardens isn’t going to give you those vixen, drama lashes but once you apply it and it drys it stays put. Hope that helps!

Janine B.
    November 20, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Hey just wanted to let you know that the Honest Beauty company actually took their mascara off the market for almost a year to fix that problem. It’s back now and doesn’t sting anymore! I love it now but did have the same exact issue initially.

Alana
    February 22, 2017 at 7:17 pm

I love the PUREhaven Essentials mascara! Have you tried it?

Suzi
      February 22, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I haven’t but now I’ll have to try! Thanks for the rec. 🙂

Shaunna
    February 25, 2017 at 7:48 am

I love the Lily Lolo mascara! It is the only natural brand I have tried that makes my lashes look as good as a conventional brand. The best part being that it stays on all day and does not smudge or make my eyes sting. Every other brand I have tried so far has left me with raccoon eyes too. I am going to try out the Hynt Beauty and Gia Minerals that you recommended as well. Thanks so much for your thorough research!

Suzi
      March 8, 2017 at 4:39 pm

of course! Thanks for reading!

Suzi
      March 18, 2017 at 9:34 am

Shaunna! Thanks for the comment. Yes, Lily Lolo is a great mascara and you should definitely try out Hynt and Gia-serious faves too 🙂

meb
    March 1, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Howdy!

Thanks for your list. I’m gonna guess you’re a black mascara gal, so may not have any suggestions, but I’m looking for more brown mascaras that hold up well.

I don’t mind a bit of smudging, but little-to-no flakes is a requirement, and does a formula that isn’t real wet, because I have abysmally wimpy lashes, with eyes set back into my head, and heavy hoods. Wet formulas I get everywhere, and force me to redo any eye makeup that’s already applied. I also have ultra sensitive eyes, so I’m rather high maintenance. I’ve finally found eyeshadows I don’t react to, but mascaras are so very tricky.

Green and clean is the way to go.

Thanks!

Suzi
      March 18, 2017 at 9:33 am

Hi! Have you tried ZuZu Luxe mascara in dark brown? I really like their black mascara. It doesn’t flake on me and after about 10 days the formula dries up a bit and isn’t wet. It’s a really great price too!

hellolindasau
    March 15, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Which one lasts the longest? I have oily and watery eyes and the Hynt Beauty mascara smudged on my within a few hours 🙁

Suzi
      March 18, 2017 at 9:25 am

The 100% Pure is a great option then. It isn’t waterproof-no green beauty mascara can be but it is water resistant!

Shelia
      March 18, 2017 at 9:30 am

I had the same exact problem with Hynt mascara and well people. I recently tried Lily Lolo and I love it! No smudging for me! Zulu Luxe also didn’t flake but didn’t have the same look as Lily Lolo.