In honor of my birthday I thought I would share with you 34 natural products that changed my life. I really thought long and hard about these and wanted to give you products that truly made the cut for me. I’ve been on the this real food journey for 10+years, this natural beauty journey for 8 years and creating a nontoxic home for 2 years. It’s totally a journey but one that is doable! Remember it’s not a sprint but a marathon. Keep your sanity and slowly detox your life.
34 Natural Products That Changed My Life-
- Berkey Water Filter- I got a Berkley water filter for my home 7 years ago and I haven’t looked back. After learning what’s in our drinking water I knew I needed to get a water filter. The average drinking water can contain pharmaceutical drugs, fluoride, chlorine, heavy metals- just to name a few. Berkey is not only filters out all the nasties but also is pretty affordable. You can choose what size you need depending on your family. Get one here!
- Doterra On Guard Essential Oil- This essential oil was introduced to me by my friend Steph Duford. I’m beyond grateful for it now! I use it as a cleaner in my house to kill bacteria and parasites. Many natural cleaners don’t kill parasites. But On Guard does! I make my own DIY cleaner with it and my house is so clean. I fill a squirt bottle- (the size of a normal apple cider vinegar bottle). Get On Guard here!
- Kiddobloom- Love these stainless steel eating trays and utensils for kids. They aren’t plastic and don’t leach chemicals! The silverware is rounded at the edges, so really great for kids. They even have the cutest mugs. Shop Kiddobloom here!
- Kosas Lipstick- These lipsticks are my fave in natural beauty! They offer a ton of color options, are highly pigmented and last. Plus, they’re hydrating. Trust me, you’ll be hooked in no time. Some favorite colors I love are Thrillest, Royal, and Rosewater. Snag a lipstick here!
- Josh Rosebrook Hairspray- If you’ve been transitioning to natural beauty for a hot minute then you know finding a natural hair spray can often feel like a daunting task. Well, I’ve literally tried them all and the only one that meets my standards is Josh Rosebrook. Get it here and thank me later!
- Live Botanical Luna Rose and Honey Mask + Cleanser- Basically my holy grail when it comes to morning routine. I apply this to my face, while I brush my teeth and 5 minutes later I’m left with skin that glows. It’s magic in a jar! Plus, so budget friendly. Use my coupon code: GURLGONEGREEN for 20%! Snag one here!
- Pharmaca- Oh Pharmaca how I love you! So as many of you know I’m an esthetician. Well, I worked as an esthetician at Pharmaca years ago. I loved it! For those who don’t know what Pharmaca is, allow me to explain. It’s your one stop shop when it comes to living a natural lifestyle. They have natural supplements, natural beauty products and natural baby products. There’s really not much you can’t find at Pharmaca. I love how I can find everything in one spot, but I also love how Pharmaca is constantly having sales! It’s kind of amazing. They are usually offering 20% off all the time, which means more money in my wallet! Shop all of Pharmaca here!
- Elite Fuel Iron- This iron literally changed my life. My iron depletion was severely low in the summer. So much so that after workouts I would feel dizzy. I knew something was up. After having my blood drawn I saw that my levels were crazy low. My naturopath recommended this specific iron supplement. It had been shown to increase iron absorption much faster. Usually if you take an iron supplement it takes a while to build up storage again. I noticed a difference after a couple weeks! Can’t recommend it enough!
- Naturpedic Organic Mattress- Sleeping on an organic mattress is pretty life changing. The amount of toxins in conventional mattresses is pretty disheartening. Since we sleep a 1/3 of our lives. It’s important to know what your sleeping on and what your body is absorbing. My husband and I have LOVED our naturpedic mattress! It’s seriously so comfortable. This is the naturpedic mattress we have!
- White Lotus Home Pillows- Finding organic pillows that my husband, myself and kids love has been no small task. But thanks to White Lotus Home- it’s been so easy! My husband literally won’t stop talking about his shredded latex pillow- he loves it. My kids and I love our Kapok Pillows. They offer such great customer service, can help you figure out which pillow is best and offer so many varieties depending on your pillow needs. Check out all their pillow options here!
- SOL Organic Sheets– These sheets are a game changer! They’re soft, and not filled with toxins. I love that they offer several options depending on what you like. They’re luxury sheets but at affordable prices. Check out the sheets here!
- Fitglow Beauty Lip Serums- Say hello to your new favorite lip serum- but for real! These are my favorite lip glosses in green beauty. I hadn’t found a favorite until I used these. Now I can’t go back! They aren’t sticky, or goopy like you might think. They are so smooth, hydrating and nourishing. The founder actually made them to act like a lip serum for the lips that is filled with antioxidants and vitamins. Check out all the lip colors here!
- Crunchi Foundation Brush- This foundation brush is EVERYTHING! It’s so soft, love that it has a flat top and is vegan. I know it sounds funny but when it comes to foundation brushes this brush takes the cake! Get yours here!
- Blendtec Blender- Yep, a quality high speed blender changes lives. I’ve had my Blendtec Blender now for over 4 years and I can’t recommend it enough. I love that it gets my smoothies so smooth, and can make nut butters. It gets used at least once a day if not twice. Check it out here!
- Cuisinart Food Processor- I didn’t get a food processor until this last year and I’m kind of kicking myself that I waited this long. It’s seriously SO amazing! I use it for my raw veggie bread, kale chip recipes, protein balls, granola bars- the list is endless! This is the one I have!
- Vitacost- where do I even start with Vitacost?! I love this online health food store. It has all my favorite natural products for food and living but at a fraction of the cost. Plus, they’re always offering coupon codes! I can’t recommend them enough! Shop Vitacost here!
- If you care parchment paper- I know how has a parchment paper changed my life- well it has, allow me to explain. Parchment paper can actually be really toxic. It’s bleached and can contain many toxic chemicals. Things that you don’t want in your food and eventually in your body. In comes If You Care Parchment Paper- it’s unbleached, and nontoxic. So basically you can have your cake and eat it too! I love using parchment paper everyday for cooking. It makes cleaning after cooking so easy! Get your parchment paper here!
- Body Love Book- This book really opened my eyes to how our bodies process sugar, carbs, protein, fats, etc. If you’re wondering why you’re feeling low on energy, can’t lose the weight, or other health issues- check this book out. She breaks it down so simply! Get your book here!
- Honest Beauty Mascara- This mascara is my FAVE in natural beauty! It works like no other mascara and stays put. Plus, you can get it from Amazon for $14.99! Grab one for yourself and a friend here!
- Reusable Water Bottle- I don’t think I need to explain why this is such a life changer but I’ll give you a brief overview. Plastic bottles aren’t going away and the more we stop using them, the more change we can create. Plastic contains a host of problems in our bodies too. Have you ever drank out of a plastic water bottle? You can literally taste the plastic! Grab a reusable water bottle and change your life and the environment!
- Raw veggie Bread Ebook- I love raw veggie bread. Sounds weird but it literally has changed the way I eat and consume veggies. I dabbled in raw veggie bread here and there but didn’t start consistently making it until 2018. Wow, what a difference that made! My hubs is addicted and so am I. Imagine consuming a ton of veggies in a piece of bread that is made with healthy fats like nuts or seeds, olive oil and flaxseed…you would become addicted too. I use mine for veggie wraps, dip in hummus, egg wraps, and to just eat by itself. Check out the e-course I took here!
- Excalibur Dehydrator- Have you ever made kale chips in the dehydrator? Yeah, it’s life changing as well. Once you make them in the dehydrator, you’ll never go back to the oven. Plus, in the dehydrator all the nutrients are kept intact, since it’s not cooked past 115. I use my dehydrator for making raw veggie bread too, fruit leather, dried fruit, sprouted nuts- again the list is endless! Check out my Excalibur Dehydrator here!
- OSEA Ocean Cleanser- I found this cleanser this past year and I haven’t looked back. I’m already on my second bottle and these are large bottles! I love that it I can use it on my eyes to remove all my eye makeup and it doesn’t sting. I also love that it foams up ever so slightly and that it washes off with water- no washcloth needed. Another product that everyone loves! Plus, it smells amazing! Get yours here!
- True Botanicals Antioxidant Boost and Cellular Repair Serum- I’ve been using these two for a serious dose of antioxidants and vitamins for the skin for several years. They seriously work! I always tell people if you’re looking for products that deliver in natural beauty, then look no further, these are it! These products are what are going to help with those fine lines and help to age gracefully. Get them here!
- Activ Whey Protein Powder- If you follow me, you know I love Activ Whey! It’s a goat whey protein that comes in vanilla and chocolate. Tastes amazing- you will become addicted. It also is so light, not heavy at all. It’s completely different than cow’s whey. It’s hypo-allergenic versus allergenic, is immune boosting and promotes healthy digestion. Check it out here!
- Waseda Farms- I just discovered Waseda Farms a couple months ago and I’ve been hooked! I get nothing from recommending them, other than hopefully more business sent their way. They are the best organic, pastured meat delivery farm I’ve found. Most meats deliveries are organic but not pastured- Waseda is both! Their selection is amazing too! From pork, chicken, beef, lamb, and turkey. The taste is amazing too- you won’t be disappointed. Plus, they deliver it right to your front door! That’s my favorite part. For so long I had to go to all these farms to get it but now I just go to Waseda! I have my good friend Steph Duford to thank! Check out all their offerings here!
- Stasher Bags- These silicone bags have changed my food storage game for the better! I don’t use plastic bags anymore. But use these instead. They aren’t leaching any toxic chemicals, and I save money because I’m not constantly buying plastic bags. Plus, you’re saving the environment! Get yours here!
- E3 Live- This is an organic algae that has given me energy and helped my hashimotos. I started taking it over a year ago and I have felt so much better taking it! It gives my body all the nutrients! Algae supports digestion and the immune system, helps with mental clarity, and brain health. Trust me, this stuff is SO good! Get your E3Live here!
- Ilia True Skin Serum Foundation- I talk about this foundation all the time and sometimes I feel like a broken record but it’s because I just love it! It doesn’t look heavy on the skin, covers redness, and creates and overall polished glow. You’ll be loving how your skin looks. I’ve tried all the natural foundations and this one always calls to me! It performs just like it’s name- True Skin Serum Foundation. I wear the color SF3. Snag it here!
- Almond Cow- I never knew I needed this clever gadget until I started to use it- now I don’t know how I got along without it. It makes making nut milks a breeze- I mean seriously so easy! You’ll love it! Get your Almond Cow here!
- Xtrema Cookware- I started using this nontoxic cookware several months ago and wow it’s a whole new world in the kitchen! Things don’t stick like they used too, it’s so easy to clean and it continues to look good. I’m going to be giving these as gifts!
- Agent Nateur Holi Rose Deodorant- I probably had tried 50 natural deodorants until Agent Nateur Holi Rose. Once I tried it though, there was no going back. This deodorant doesn’t mess around. It has never irritated my skin, and keeps me smelling fresh all day long. I’m not the only one that thinks this. This is a holy grail among green beauty bloggers! Snag one here!
- Kosmatology Hand Soap- There’s hand soaps and then there’s Cosmetology hand soaps. These hands soaps are squeaky clean, don’t dry out your hands(hello) and come in a ton of fun scents. Get one for you and for a friend here!
- Aila Nail Polish and Nail Polish Wipes- I’ve tried a lot of natural nail polish and Aila has stolen my heart. It goes on so smooth, isn’t goopy at all. Love all the colors! They have a top coat called better than gel that literally acts like a natural top coat on top of your nails. I also love their nail polish remover wipes. I can easily take them anywhere because they come in a wipe form. Get your Aila nail polish and wipes here!
See anything you love too? What are some natural products that have changed your life?
What did it feel like going makeup free for a week? Well, let’s first start with why I even began this journey. I recently had an experience where I was judging my own mother- I know sounds horrible. Honestly, I feel bad even writing it. I was at church and I saw my mom and my first thought was, oh she isn’t wearing makeup. Now, my mom definitely doesn’t wear makeup all the time and doesn’t even wear a lot. She has amazing skin and is naturally gorgeous. However, whenever you go to church you put your face on- or at least that’s what I thought. I remember seeing her and thinking why aren’t you wearing makeup? Are you starting the trend like many women as they age and just go bare faced? I was concerned she wasn’t taking care of herself. Fast forward a couple of days later and I found out she couldn’t wear makeup for a while because she had a procedure done on her eyes. As you can imagine I felt horrible! What kind of daughter judges her own mother for not wearing makeup, but secondly what type of daughter does it after her mom has gone through several eye treatments? Well apparently me.
It got me thinking really hard. What is my relationship with makeup? Why did I feel the need to care if my mom was wearing makeup or not? Better yet, does makeup define my appearance? These are questions I really sat with for a while. Then I started to realize I didn’t like what my answers were. Who do I blame for these feelings of judgment on myself and others? Society, associations with family and friends and growing up reading the latest fashion and style magazines. Now I’m not trying to point fingers but I do want to bring to light these 3 areas as I feel they do affect us more than we realize.
Society- We see it on TV all the time, women who are successful put their makeup on in the morning and look put together before going to work. I mean do you really see successful women trotting into the office with no makeup? Maybe you do- which is great! But often I find we are portrayed that successful women put themselves together (hair and makeup) and unsuccessful women don’t. I even recently heard someone saying on social media how we should make sure we’re taking time to get our makeup on because we want to look good for our husbands and it sets the tone for the day. If my husband’s love is based on me getting my makeup on for the day, then is it even love?
Family/Friends- How you grow up obviously has a big effect on how you see the world. You may have grown up with a mom who never would go anywhere without makeup, you hardly knew what she looked like without it. Your friends started wearing makeup early on, and so you followed suit. You realized you got more attention from guys when you wore makeup, you felt accepted by your peers. Maybe your dad only complimented you when you had makeup on.
Fashion/Style Magazines- Yes, magazines. The power of magazines is real and I’m living proof. I remember I loved flipping through them as a teenager(keep in mind these are crucial formative years). Those glossy, perfectly polished photos called to me! I want my skin to look like that, I wanted that lip color for my lips, and I realized my eyelashes could use a boost. What really happened as I was perusing the latest magazines was the fact that I wasn’t measuring up. Mmm…sounds almost like social media these days! I realized I needed makeup in order to look like all the pretty models in the magazine. It could make me feel complete.
Barefaced for a week.
So here’s what I did…I went makeup free for a week. No makeup touched my skin. I was bared faced for everyone. It didn’t matter what was on my calendar. I want to share my takeaways and what I learned in the process about myself.
- My skin actually looked so much better after a week of no makeup. It was clearer, healthier looking and less congested.
- I saved time getting ready each morning.
- I realized my identity was oddly tied up in “putting my face on” each morning. In the past if I didn’t put my face on then I was staying at the house all day and wearing lululemon pants. But when you are going to meet up with friends and you’re not wearing any makeup…things start to feel different.
- I felt like I needed to explain to people I wasn’t wearing makeup- why? This was a weird realization. I noticed it first with my hubs and then on Instagram…it was so odd that I felt the need to almost apologize for not wearing makeup!
- Although my face felt clean, I didn’t feel completely put together. It was like I kept forgetting something.
- I realized how much my focus is on my appearance sadly.
- It was weird to do my hair and wear nice clothes but not wear makeup…like I had all the pieces but one.
- I kept thinking throughout the week, I wonder if people think I’m just not trying or caring for myself?
As you can see I had a lot of realizations as I went through this no makeup journey. Realizations I wasn’t necessarily proud of. But my hope is that by being vulnerable with you, it will cause you to take a deeper look at why you paint your face each day. It’s not that makeup is bad or the enemy. But the immense value and weight we place on it in our lives. I don’t want my girls growing up thinking makeup is needed for beauty. Beauty is so much deeper than that. Makeup is fun and I enjoy trying new lipsticks and color palettes! I don’t intend to stop. However, I will go days without wearing it, and being barefaced when it might seem uncomfortable. If I want my girls to embrace themselves fully, then I must first embrace myself. Flaws and all.
Beauty is not painted nails, a perfectly toned body, or wearing the latest makeup product. Sure those are pretty things but beauty is so much deeper. Beauty is seeing my daughter pick out her outfit for the day and wearing it proudly even when it doesn’t match. It’s seeing my Gracie Girl giggle at her sister. It’s watching my hubs sing my girls to sleep. Trust me, I ‘m not trying to get all mushy. But I’m trying to paint a picture of what beauty really is. It’s not the fake, the fluff or the exterior. It’s the simple things we see everyday that are truly beautiful. As a natural beauty blogger it’s important I share this message with my daughters. Makeup has it’s place as a fun hobby. But it’s not have it’s place as part of who I am. I’m not going to stop wearing makeup- no not at all. I’ve just become more aware of what I don’t want it to be and where it’s place is in my life. The minute I feel I’m not who I am without it, is the minute I need another makeup detox week to realign my true values.
Let’s stop letting society decide what beauty is and let’s make our own definition.
Have you found yourself ever wrestling with these thoughts? If you want my full skincare routine, check it out here!
Hey, happy spring!! It feels so good to say that! Winter is hopefully almost gone and spring is in the air. Well this month’s Glowing Beet’s box gave me a little taste of spring with a lipstick from FitGlow Beauty that’s a mauve pink the perfect transition from winter to spring. Plus, it’s exclusively made just for Glowing Beets-how cool! Then I got some skincare goodies from Gaffer & Child- a facial serum that smells like lemony goodness, and a facial cleanser that’s minty fresh. Plus, some pins to serve as a reminder to not only love yourself but love more in general. If you haven’t heard of Glowing Beet’s then read below on how this subscription box works. If you have, skip to the full review of the March box!
Why Glowing Beets? Well, for starters they include high quality indie brands and they make it so simple. Their website alone is so easy to navigate and browse. They have one box, it’s $29.95-a steal for high end green beauty products. The boxes are all the same, but may vary slightly. For ex. some boxes may get a different lipstick color, but they’re all from the same brand. All boxes are shipped at the end of the month once you’re a subscriber, and if you order during the month it will be shipped out within a few days, up until the 15th of the month. You can sign up for one box, otherwise you will be billed monthly.
I love the concept of Glowing Beets for those who are new to the green beauty scene. They give you a good selection of products, so you’re able to test them out without making a big commitment at first. They also offer special discounts to those brands if you do like them-how cool is that?! Glowing Beets does the research for the best products so you don’t have too. They include a card in each box that lists what the products are.
On to the review!
FitGlow Lipstick in Beet-
I love the name of this lipstick! Obviously perfect for Glowing Beets but also so true to the color. The lip color reminds me so much of a beet. It’s mauve, with some pinkish and berry notes mixed in. A great color for everyday wear but also for kicking it up a notch at night if you keep your lips pretty minimal during the day. The lipstick itself is super hydrating and goes on so smooth. I’m not new to FitGlow Lipsticks. I actually found my perfect red lipstick in a Glowing Beet’s box last year in the color Love. I’m pretty sure this newest find is going to become a fave for spring!
Gaffer & Child Face Cleanser-
So you guys know I love anything with mint in it-and that goes for food too! Haha, love the smell, love the taste. So when I saw peppermint essential oil in this face cleanser I was all in. This cleanser does offer a light foam, even though it’s oil based. It suds up and gives an overall clean feeling to the skin. It says to avoid the eye area, so I did, but it removed all my facial makeup. Their ingredients are mostly organic, minus the green tea extract and willow bark extract. I really dig the glass pump bottle, not only for the environment but also for product preservation.
Gaffer & Child Hydrating Serum-
Next up is their Hydrating Serum. This serum as I mentioned earlier smells like lemons- a very pleasant scent. The oil itself is lighter than a lot of oils I’ve tried and goes on smooth. My skin felt hydrated and moisturized in the morning. Also, a great serum for in the morning before applying your makeup, as it’s not a heavy serum. A little goes a long way with the product. I love that the first ingredient is argan oil-one of my favorite oils. It’s 100% raw, vegan, organic and non-gmo. With only 8 ingredients this oil packs a punch. A light refreshing oil perfect for spring!
Fred and Far Pins-
This month we got some cute pins in our box too! These pins are special reminders to choose love first and foremost. One of the pins says Me-a gentle reminder about self love. Remembering you can’t love other people, unless you truly love yourself. Also, the More Love Pin is a sweet greeting card to celebrate love. These are encouraging messages we all need to hear!
Did you see anything you want? Have you signed up for Glowing Beet’s yet? Check out Glowing Beet’s here and use code GGG10 for 10% off your first box!
I was so excited to collaborate with Whitmor. I had seen Sammie from Hullosam post about their makeup organizer and it was love at first sight! I know it might be hard to believe but I’ve never had an official makeup organizer…gasp! Being the makeup junkie that I am I knew I needed one! In comes Whitmor. Whitmor is a 4th generation family business. They have been bringing organization to people’s homes for 70 years. They literally have anything you could want for organizing your life. From organizing your shoe racks, storage baskets, laundry, etc. Plus, they’re a private company too. Something so special about keeping it private. I’ve loved working with them!
Not only did I receive their 5 Tier Acrylic Cosmetic and Accessory Organizer, but also their Supreme Cart in Chrome. Both products have been home runs for me. Keep reading for all the deets!
This makeup organizer has been a lifesaver for me with organizing all my makeup. I love that it’s clear and I can see all my makeup easily. It makes getting ready so much quicker because I’m not searching for my blush or a certain lipstick color. I organized each drawer in different categories. For instance, one drawer has my foundation and powders. I know exactly what drawer to go too when I need it. The top part flips up, giving you a good amount of storage space. Then there are four drawers below that. The first drawer has two dividers, which gives you six separate spots to organize makeup. I love that drawer for little things like eyeshadows, concealer, and lip products. The next drawer is the same size as the first drawer but without the dividers. The next two drawers are a little bigger. I even added some of my own little trays I had on hand to help keep some things separate. Plus, have I mentioned how chic it looks on my bathroom counter?! I seriously love it and think everyone needs one! It’s makes getting ready faster, and more fun. Maybe you’re not a makeup junkie like me? No worries, you could feel this with whatever you want. Skincare, jewelry, hair accessories-really anything! And guess what?! I’ve teamed up with Whitmor to giveaway one to a lucky winner! Check out my Instagram to learn how to enter.
This cart has been another find! I have tried to find something to store all my glass containers in my pantry and I finally found the answer. Not only is the cart super roomy but it has wheels. Yep, you heard me! So you can wheel whatever you have on it right into your kitchen. I’ve loved this! I just wheel it out when I want to use certain flours or ingredients-makes it so convenient to have it right there by me. Plus, it looks so modern and chic too with the chrome. It has three shelves and I keep all my glass containers on two of the shelves plus half of the first one. Then I keep some staple pantry items on the top shelf. Things like quinoa, coconut milk, ghee, etc. Makes it easy to grab when I need something. It also gives you a good amount of space between each shelf, so you could stack items if you wanted or put taller items on the second or third shelf. I’ve used this for my pantry, but you could use it for anything around the house. I could see this in a laundry room, garage, multi-purpose room, really the list is endless! You won’t be disappointed with this handy cart.
Be sure to check out all of Whitmor’s products on their website here. Also, be sure to check out my Instagram page for a chance to win the makeup organizer!
Ok, since summer is officially here, I think it’s time to review my top picks for bronzers. Who doesn’t want a summer glow? For those of you (me) still sportin’ the winter skin, we’ll need to fake our glow. Cue the bronzer! (more…)