*On a side note: I also find it interesting that companies don’t want to label their products GMO, when GMO’s are present, I mean if they’re not harmful than it shouldn’t matter right?
Top foods to avoid that contain GMO’s:
You should pass up on any one of these items unless it’s organic or says verified Non-GMO. Look for these symbols:
1. Corn– Once you start looking at ingredient labels, you will be in shock as to how many items contain corn. Also, there are many corn derivatives as well that will sneak up on you. Here is a full list:
2. Soy– It’s interesting how manufacturers put soy in everything these days. Just take a walk down the protein bar aisle. I once went to the grocery store just to see if I could find a protein bar that didn’t contain soy protein…I didn’t find one. The only place I’ve found that carries a protein bar that isn’t soy protein is Whole Foods. God bless them! The reason why it’s in so much of our food now is because it’s cheap…sad but true.
3. Canola Oil– Yep, a cheap oil indeed and can be found in so many food items in your local grocery store.
4. Papaya– It’s interesting to me that the E.U. doesn’t allow GMO papaya into their countries, yet the U.S. welcomes it.
5. Dairy– When buying dairy make sure you buy organic (as with all of the above ingredients), but if you can’t, look for the label that says no rBGH. It’s a hormone that’s been chemically altered to increase milk production in cows…yuck!
6. Zuchini and Squash– They change these vegetables so they resist viruses.
7. Sugar– Yes, this ingredient is in everything these days and unless it’s organic cane sugar I would stear clear of it.
Another way to avoid GMO’s is to look at the PLU code on any produce. If it starts with an 8 it’s GMO but if it starts with a 9 it’s organic. Avoid the 8!
Also, if you just eat whole foods and avoid the middle aisles of the grocery store you’ll be avoiding many GMO’s. Stick to organic foods when possible and avoid processed packaged junk. My motto is if you want a cookie, go make it! More than likely it will taste a lot better and you won’t be ingesting chemicals since you can be selective with all your ingredients.