This past weekend my little babe turned one. It’s hard to believe a year has come and gone. I was so excited for her 1st birthday! I wanted to make the event memorable but also keep it green. I’m so happy with how things turned out. It was a very special day for my sweet little girl.
Here are some ways I went “green” for the party-
- Bamboo plates instead of plastic. These plates are pretty amazing! They are made from unbleached, chlorine free, pesticide free, dye free, natural discarded wheat stalk and bagasse (sugarcane fiber). Completely compostable in an industrial composting facility. They’re also tree free and contain no plastic at all. Oh and they were so sturdy for all the party food. Not to mention they have three compartments, which is nice when plating the food.
- Wooden Forks, Spoons and Knives instead of plastic. These are biodegradeable and made from solid birch wood. They worked great, and looked super chic as well!
- Mason Jars as cups instead of plastic or paper ones. This was a no brainer for me. I already use mason jars all the time, and they look so chic at a party or event. Not to mention, they are completely re-usable! I used the Kerr wide mouth 16 oz. mason jar.
- Cloth Napkins instead of paper. My mom is an excellent sewer and I asked her to make me some simple cloth napkins for the party. They looked so cute all rolled up with a piece of burlap string on the table. The best thing, they can be used for the next party! My mom made my napkins, but they’re are some great options I found on Amazon.
- Paper boxes filled with treats as favors, instead of plastic bags. I found these cute little kraft recycled paper boxes, and filled them with a golf ball (my daughter’s favorite toy) and Yummy Earth Organic fruit snacks.
- There was a piñata and I filled it with yummy treats, just not junk. I filled it with Yummy Earth Organic fruit snacks, Justin’s organic peanut butter cups, organic fruit leathers, Yummy Earth Organic lollipops, and Trader Joe’s honey mint patties (three inredients-chocolate liquor, peppermint oil and honey).
- The food- So many times I go to a party and the food stinks. As if it’s ok to eat a bunch of junk at a party. I wanted the food to be fresh, organic and tasty. From what I heard from fellow party goers, it was! The menu was Paleo waffles, with almond slivers, bananas and blueberries as toppings. There were also egg cups filled with chicken sausage and spinach, turkey bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese, and a summer salad mix with strawberries, sliced almonds, goat cheese and red onion. For dessert, I had my mom make her famous gluten free organic chocolate cake and gluten free organic carrot cake. They’re both amazing! Oh and my sister made her mini, chocolate, vegan and gluten free donuts. Let’s just say dessert was off the hook! For Finley’s cake I made a paleo banana bread with coconut whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup. You’ll see by the last photo, someone really enjoyed her cake! 🙂