We are at it again with the best of clean beauty 2018! My girl Lisa from the blog The New Knew and I are dishing up our faves this year in clean and natural beauty. This is our third year in a row and the post always seems to be a crowd favorite.
I’m going to give you a quick run down on some past favorites too that we can’t stope reaching for, plus some personal picks that I’ve tried and Lisa hasn’t. But before I do, I wanted to share a little about two places that keep me well stocked when it comes to clean and natural beauty products. The first is The Detox Market
This was the very first green beauty store I shopped at. I still remember angels singing when I visited the actual store in L.A. Ok, maybe angels weren’t singing but it felt like I had arrived in green beauty heaven! They have ALL the brands and more. You want some Josh Rosebrook- they’ve got you covered. Need some Osmia Organics in your life, sister they have it. Want some Odacite? No problem- they have the whole line. It’s your one stop shop for all things natural beauty! They have a list of ingredient standards, which lists ingredients they don’t allow in their formulations, so you can be sure your products are squeaky clean. I remember hearing about their pop up shop in 2010- I was salivating to go! It was at the same time I had started to detox my beauty products. It’s so crazy to think where The Detox Market is today! There’s so many natural options, compared to 8 years ago. I love their mission on educating the consumer and bringing awareness. Forever a Detox Market fan! You can basically get any clean beauty product from their store. Also, I love Boxwalla!
This is a clean beauty box that you can get bi-monthly. In case you’re not familiar with Boxwalla– allow me to introduce you. This box delivers some of the best of green beauty. I find that’s what sets them apart from other green beauty boxes is their thoughtful curations. I always find they go out on a limb and really find brands and artisans that I haven’t heard of- which I love! If you’re into trying new brands and discovering people that truly love their craft- this box is for you. I also love that this box is bi-monthly versus every month. It helps me to savor each box and really get to know the products. Their selections are always cruelty free as well. The products are also free of certain ingredients according to Boxwalla standards. You can find the specific ingredients they avoid here. Another reason I love getting behind this box! Plus, don’t get me started on their actual boxes the products come in- seriously next level. I keep each box and give them to others with gifts in them because they’re so gorgeous! Read below on how their boxes are made. A quote from Boxwalla’s website:
Each box containing Boxwalla goodies is carefully crafted from tree-free handmade paper. A small company in India makes the paper for us, from cotton scraps, using the traditional art of paper-making that involves 9 steps and takes several weeks. The handmade paper is then meticulously fashioned into the boxes that you see in the pictures. The whole process is completely child labor free and employs 63 local villagers and 20 skilled artisans whose families have been making paper for generations. We love supporting socially and environmentally conscious businesses such as these: They craft beautiful products while preserving traditional crafts and skills that would otherwise be completely lost.
If you want to start the new year off right and start discovering the best of green beauty, sign up for a Boxwalla box here!
Here are past favorites of Lisa and I that we can’t get away from:
- Josh Rosebrook Hairspray- Some things never change and this hairspray is one of them!
- True Botanicals Shampoo- Gives your hair that clean feeling we all crave and smells divine.
- Agent Nateur Holi Rose Deodorant- This stuff doesn’t play. It works SO well. Basically a cult following in green beauty.
- Live Botanical Luna Rose and Honey Mask– If you follow me you know I can’t get away from this Mask- it’s truly so good. My skin is always glowing after.
- Leahlani Mermaid Mask- Another cult favorite in clean beauty- the Mermaid Mask by Leahlani. It does wonders for the skin. First mask I used in natural beauty that literally showed improvements after the first use!
Ok, on to the BEST OF CLEAN BEAUTY 2018!
- Moss Skincare Beurre Céleste Honey Antioxidant Infusion Recovery Mask in Cleansing Baume- It was love at first swipe when I used this cleansing mask/balm. It comes in a balm form and quickly melts in your hands and removes makeup and grime so effortlessly. Your skin feels so clean, and not stripped in any way. I often use it in the mornings and leave it on my skin while I brush my teeth. Such a unique formula too because it’s completely waterless- so no preservative!
- African Botanics Fleurs de’Afrique- An amazing plant based retinol oil that my skin LOVES! I literally have seen a brightness in my skin and hyper pigmentation fade- no joke. If you got it, then you know what I’m talking about. I discovered this in a Boxwalla box- they are always dishing out the good stuff.
- Kosas Lipstick- These lipsticks are the best. To own a Kosas lipstick is to love it! These are pigmented, long lasting and moisturizing. I almost have all 8 colors in the collection and there isn’t a bad color.
- Odacite Lip Serum- I had never used a lip serum like this on my lips until Odacite’s. It helps to hydrate, minimize fine lines on the lips and plump. I love applying as my last step in my skincare routine. My lip’s nightly nightcap!
- Laurel Sun Damage Repair Serum- This is a serum and oil in one that helps to repair sun damaged skin. The formula contains 27 whole organic plants! It helps to reverse the signs of aging that the sun brings. It also helps to brighten and fade age spots. The oil feels richer on the skin but it also seeps right in. When I used it I noticed a decrease in overall redness, faded sun spots and clearer skin tone.
- Khus Khus Modern Herbal Fusion + RASA Restorative Potion- This is such a unique body cream. Not only does it contain adaptogenic herbs but Ayurvedic and Western nervine herbs as well. It helps to bring a calm to the nervous system. It feels so soothing and healing! Plus, my skin feels so hydrated as well.
- True Botanicals Cellular Repair Serum, Antioxidant Booster and Vitamin C Booster- The Cellular Repair Serum is designed to reverse the cellular damage caused by sun exposure and aging. Pretty sure everyone wants to sign up for that-am I right?! Besides reversing cellular damage it also replenishes moisture and plumps up skin. It’s highly concentrated and goes past the surface of the skin to really get to the cellular level. This Vitamin C Booster treatment is preserved in it’s freshest form. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps to even skin tone, brighten and fade wrinkles, stimulate collagen, plus firm and repair skin. I mean every face needs this stuff. You might be wondering why it comes in a powder form. When vitamin c is mixed with a liquid it slowly loses potency. By keeping it in powder form you can be assured it’s in it’s freshest form. The Antioxidant Booster is similar to the Vitamin C Booster but it uses apple peel powder instead, which has actually been shown to be more powerful then Vitamin C! It helps brighten dark spots, even out skin tone and firm skin.
- Sappho Brow Pomade- When my beloved brow cream that I had been using for a couple year from Hynt was reformulated I was back to the drawing board to find one that worked just as good! Thankfully Sappho answered my prayers. This works so well. Leaves my brows looking natural and so easy to apply. I wear the color dark brown black.
- Honest Beauty Mascara- If you’ve followed me for a hot minute you know I’m OBSESSED with this mascara! It’s the best I’ve found in green beauty. It gives my lashed definition, length and drama. Plus, you can get it on Amazon and it’s under $15! I know- we hit the jackpot with this one.
- Osmia Body Oil- I can’t get enough of Osmia’s Body Oil. It’s like the biggest drink of water for your body. Your skin will thank you and so will your mind as you wrap yourself in this goodness. I apply mine right out of the shower or bath and my skin stays silky smooth all day. I love the Night Oil scent- with notes of lavender, roman chamomile and atlas cedarwood. But if you don’t like scent you would love their naked oil- it has no essential oils in it.
- Maya Chia The Optimist Hydrating Essence- I get SO excited for any new Maya Chia product and The Optimist was no exception. This gem is housed in a dark glass bottle, preserving every last drop of goodness. Smells divine with hints of neroli, sweet orange, and ylang ylang. The formula itself feels so hydrating on the skin and refreshing with white tea, antioxidants, fatty acids and phytonutrients- just to name a few. I can’t forget the actual spray function. It works so well! I know it might sound funny, but after truing hundreds of mists in my day, the spray function is actually quite important. You don’t want the mist to feel like it’s attacking your skin or spraying you in the eye! The Optimist sprays so well all over the face. The founder Susanne nailed it!
Here are some favorites of mine that I discovered this year and I can’t not share:
- Beautycounter’s Face Wipes- These wipes are the best I’ve found in green beauty. They offer the perfect amount of moisture, and they remove all my makeup! Plus, they’re biodegradeable.
- Beauty counter’s Eye shadows- I love these shadows. They get the best eye shadow award in clean beauty hands down! They are so pigmented, go on smooth and stay on forever- the whole day. Trust me- you will be hooked once you use them. They are having a sale right now for 30% off their holiday eye palettes too!
- Beautycounter’s Eye Makeup Remover- Ok, I seriously was so excited when I tried this eye makeup remover. All you Mary Kay fans will get me. Back in the day I used to be big Mary Kay Eye Makeup Remover devotee. It was the best I found and since I stopped using it I’ve never even able to find a replacement. Until now! This eye makeup remover works like a charm- can’t say it enough. If you like having an eye makeup remover- you’ll love this!
- Ilia Eye Primer- I have finally found my favorite eye primer in clean beauty! This magic little wand does not mess around. It keeps my eye shadows in place the whole day, no creasing, or smudging. I can’t recommend it enough.
- Tata Harper’s Clarifying Mask- I had tried this once before this year but nothing more. It had been a small sample. Then I got a full jar and lets just say, it quickly dwindled! This helps purify pores, detoxify the skin and leave you with an overall glow. Can’t get enough!
That’s it for The Best Of Clean Beauty 2018! Want to see what The Best Of Clean Beauty 2016 and 2017 was? Check out 2016 here and 2017 here. Go check out my girl Lisa’s take on all our faves, plus see what 5 products she discovered this year! *Also don’t forget to check out our Instagram pages @gurlgonegreen and @thenew.knew to enter to win over $500 worth of clean beauty loot! See any faves?
Thanks for this great list.
There was a golden face balm in one of your stories a while back that I loved the sound of. What was it?
Generally looking for something richer than a face cream for really dry skin this time of year.
Also trying to remember a rose powder blush I saw on one of your stories or blogs ages ago.