I’m sharing my favorite aluminum free deodorant with you today! Primally Pure! I have tried my fair share of natural deodorants in my day. Trust me, it seems a new deodorant shows up on my doorstep every week. But I didn’t land one that was great for everyone until Primally Pure.
Their aluminum free deodorant takes the cake for my husband and I! (Scroll to the bottom for my full review on my faves). They not only create amazing deodorant but also provide so much education on natural deodorant in general. I wanted to share what sets them apart and why it’s so important to make the switch to a natural deodorant.
Now let’s back the truck up and talk about why you want an aluminum free deodorant in the first place.
I really wanted to share the toxic burden mainstream deodorants carry. This is one area of going green that I want to shout from the rooftops! Why? Because people use deodorant everyday, or at least most of us should. Maybe you can get away with every other day, but you get my point. Multiply that by 365 days and you’re rubbing toxins on yourself daily!
So what is this toxic load I speak of? Well, let’s first talk about the biggest offender when it comes to mainstream deodorant, aluminum. Aluminum is put in deodorant for the sole purpose of blocking your pores from sweating. In essence, so you don’t get wet. There’s a problem though, we were made to sweat, and our body uses sweat as a way to rid ourselves of toxins.
So where does the aluminum go? Into our blood stream, fatty tissue, and can settle into breast tissue. Unlike toxic food that can be broken down once digested, chemicals we put on our body cannot. Instead they find a home in our fat and can wreak havoc. Specifically in breast tissue. A quote from the Journal of Inorganic Bio-chemistry states, “Over 50% of breast cancers start in the upper outer quadrant of the breast local to the underarm region.” Although, that doesn’t equate to aluminum causing breast cancer, it certainly lays a case for it. Plus, it’s not just the application of the antiperspirant but the application onto underarms that have just been shaven. The broken skin makes it even more permeable for the aluminum to get into the body. Why take the risk if you don’t have too?!
And the crazy part about it all? Aluminum isn’t the only toxic ingredient in your mainstream anti-perspirant. Even if you’re using a mainstream deodorant without the aluminum you’re still putting harmful toxins in your body. I can’t forget triclosan, parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol and fragrance. These all do a number in your body too, and I’m not talking a happy number! Your best bet is to make the switch over to a non-toxic deodorant that’s free from all the toxic offenders.
Now, I know this can be a tricky thing to do-trust me. I sweat and I sweat a lot! However, I have picked up some tips to make the transition easier.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL TRANSITION TO A NATURAL DEODORANT:
- DETOX YOUR UNDERARMS– Since you’ve spent years piling on the toxins, it’s time to remove them. These toxins and bacteria get blocked up from the aluminum in your lymph nodes and fatty tissue and they have no where to go. Talk about a recipe for B.O.! Primally Pure has a great blog post on how to detox your underarms.
- DRINK WATER– Sounds like a no brainer but not drinking enough water can leave your body stagnat-nothings moving and that’s not good. Make sure you’re drinking enough water for your body weight and having consistent bowel movements.
- CONSIDER YOUR FOOD- Often times what we eat has a direct effect on our smell. If you’re putting junk into your body, i.e. refined sugar, white flour, processed foods etc. then chances are you’re going to smell it too. Eating more leafy greens and fruits causes your body to have a sweeter smell. Also, some foods even if they are healthy can cause you to smell just because of their makeup. Be mindful of when you eat odor causing foods that may take your stench to a whole new level. Avoid these foods for a bit to see if your odor improves.
- EXFOLIATE UNDERARMS- It’s time to slough off all that bacteria and make sure your underarms are clean. Getting rid of the bacteria and creating a clean canvas will help ensure you’re not creating further stench.
- SWEAT- Many people don’t like to hear it but sweating is actually one of the best ways to detox naturally. It pushes the toxins out of your body. I’ve noticed myself I always smell better when I’m consistently getting a good sweat on through some form of exercise. Also, epsom salt baths are great for helping to sweat, as well as saunas. If your glands have been blocked for so many years chances are they have some mucous and bacteria buildup. Remember sweating is a good thing! Your body may even go through a period where you sweat a little more during the transition-totally normal. Your body will adjust.
- CLOTHING- For the first several weeks consider the clothes you wear. Opt for material such as merino wool, bamboo, hemp and cotton-all natural fibers. Avoid synthetic fibers which can trap sweat and help breed bacteria. Choose loose fitting, breathable clothing.
- WATCH YOUR SHAVE- To avoid irritation, don’t apply your deodorant right after you shave. Since your pores will be open and fresh, it’s best to avoid putting the deodorant on right away. It may cause irritation and redness. Give it some time. If you can, shower the night before and apply in the morning or wait an hour to apply after you shower in the morning. An hour gives your pores a chance to close up.
- DON’T GIVE UP– Just because one natural deodorant doesn’t work or you’re still feeling like you smell, don’t give up! It takes time for your body to acclimate and this may not be a quick fix. Ask around, be diligent de-toxing, and eventually you’ll reap the rewards.
Primally Pure as I mentioned takes the natural deodorant cake in all areas. From an affordable price, squeaky clean ingredients, smell good scents and no irritation. Overall the formula works so well! They have a couple blog posts that really help understand natural deodorant. Check out what you need to know about using natural deodorant and also their blog post on the science of natural deodorant and why their formula works so well.
My hubs loves the Charcoal Deodorant. I love their Blue Tansy. Although I tried the Charcoal and I have to say I would use that any day too! It’s crazy because the more I tell people about their deodorants the more feedback I hear on how amazing they are. It seems to work for the majority of people.
If you haven’t been able to get your husband to make the switch I recommend grabbing him a Primally Pure Deodorant. My hubs is picky and when he says it’s his fave, I know it’s good. The Formula goes on so smooth and doesn’t cause any irritation. I smell fresh all day long. The Blue Tansy smell is just so good! I also love how the charcoal smells minty fresh- you know I’m all about anything mint.
If you’re also wanting to switch your products over in the skincare arena, check out Primally Pure’s skincare products. I’ve tried a handful of their products and I can’t get enough of their simple ingredients, and effectiveness.
Some Favorite Skincare Products From Them Are:
- Blue Tansy Beauty Cream- This cream soothes skin so well. Blue Tansy is known for it’s soothing and calming properties. It also smells divine. It melts right into the skin and leaves behind complete hydration. It also has emu oil which is known for it’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- Dry Shampoo- This is my favorite dry shampoo I’ve used in natural beauty! They have it in a darker shade for dark hair and lighter shade for light hair. It soaks up excess oil in hair so well and really adds some great volume!
- Blue Tansy Body Oil- This body oil also has blue tansy…I know can you tell I’m a huge fan of blue tansy. This oil is so great for the skin and calms irritation or inflammation.
If you’ve been searching for your favorite natural deodorant, then look no further! Check out all of Primally Pure’s Products here!
If you liked this post, check out past posts below: