Ok, it’s finally here, my Top Natural Deodorant Picks. I’ve been working on this thing for too long, and I’m so excited to finally share it with you guys! Besides sharing my favorite natural alternatives to mainstream deodorants, I really wanted to share the toxic burden mainstream deodorants carry. This is one area of going green that I want to shout from the rooftops! Why? Because everyday people use deodorant, or at least most of us should. Maybe you can get away with every other day, but you get my point. Multiply that by 365 days and you’re rubbing toxins on yourself daily!
So what is this toxic load I speak of? Well, let’s first talk about the biggest offender when it comes to mainstream deodorant, anti-perspirant. What’s in anti-perspirant- aluminum. This toxic ingredient is put in deodorant for the sole purpose of blocking your pores from sweating. In essence so you don’t get wet. There’s a problem though, we were made to sweat, and our body uses sweat as a way to rid ourselves of toxins.
So where does the aluminum go? Into our blood stream, fatty tissue, and can settle into breast tissue. Unlike toxic food that can be broken down once digested, chemicals we put on our body cannot. Instead they find a home in our fat and can wreak havoc. Specifically in breast tissue. A quote from the Journal of Inorganic Bio-chemistry states, “Over 50% of breast cancers start in the upper outer quadrant of the breast local to the underarm region.” Although, that doesn’t equate to aluminum causing breast cancer, it certainly lays a case for it. Plus, it’s not just the application of the antiperspirant but the application onto underarms that have just been shaven. The broken skin makes it even more permeable for the aluminum to get into the body. Why take the risk if you don’t have too?!
And the crazy part about it all? Aluminum isn’t the only toxic ingredient in your mainstream anti-perspirant. Even if you’re using a mainstream deodorant without the aluminum you’re still putting harmful toxins in your body. I can’t forget triclosan, parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol and fragrance. These all do a number in your body too, and I’m not talking a happy number! Your best bet is to make the switch over to a non-toxic deodorant that’s free from all the toxic offenders.
Now, I know this can be a tricky thing to do-trust me. I sweat and I sweat a lot! However, I have picked up some tips to make the transition easier.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL TRANSITION TO A NONTOXIC DEODORANT:
- DETOX YOUR UNDERARMS– Since you’ve spent years piling on the toxins, it’s time to remove them. These toxins and bacteria get blocked up from the aluminum in your lymph nodes and fatty tissue and they have no where to go. Talk about a recipe for B.O.! The Wellness Mama has a great recipe for detoxing arm pits that I’ve used and always share with others.
- DRINK WATER– Sounds like a no brainer but not drinking enough water can leave your body stagnat-nothings moving and that’s not good. Make sure you’re drinking enough water for your body weight and having consistent bowel movements.
- CONSIDER YOUR FOOD- Often times what we eat has a direct effect on our smell. If you’re putting junk into your body, i.e. refined sugar, white flour, processed foods etc. then chances are you’re going to smell it too. Eating more leafy greens and fruits causes your body to have a sweeter smell. Also, some foods even if they are healthy can cause you to smell just because of their makeup. Be mindful of when you eat odor causing foods that may take your stench to a whole new level. Avoid these foods for a bit to see if your odor improves.
- EXFOLIATE UNDERARMS- It’s time to slough off all that bacteria and make sure your underarms are clean. Getting rid of the bacteria and creating a clean canvas will help ensure you’re not creating further stench.
- SWEAT- Many people don’t like to hear it but sweating is actually one of the best ways to detox naturally. It pushes the toxins out of your body. I’ve noticed myself I always smell better when I’m consistently getting a good sweat on through some form of exercise. Also, epsom salt baths are great for helping to sweat, as well as saunas. If your glands have been blocked for so many years chances are they have some mucous and bacteria buildup. Remember sweating is a good thing! Your body may even go through a period where you sweat a little more during the transition-totally normal. Your body will adjust.
- CLOTHING- For the first several weeks consider the clothes you wear. Opt for material such as merino wool, bamboo, hemp and cotton-all natural fibers. Avoid synthetic fibers which can trap sweat and help breed bacteria. Choose loose fitting, breathable clothing.
- SWITCH PRODUCTS UP- Change your deodorant after a while. If you notice after several months your deodorant isn’t working anymore-switch it up. Sometimes your body can get accustomed to one and it’s good to switch it up. I’ve had this happen to myself and others have shared the same thing with me.
- WATCH YOUR SHAVE- To avoid irritation, don’t apply your deodorant right after you shave. Since your pores will be open and fresh, it’s best to avoid putting the deodorant on right away. It may cause irritation and redness. Give it some time. If you can, shower the night before and apply in the morning or wait an hour to apply after you shower in the morning. An hour gives your pores a chance to close up.
- DON’T GIVE UP– Just because one natural deodorant doesn’t work or you’re still feeling like you smell, don’t give up! It takes time for your body to acclimate and this may not be a quick fix. Ask around, be diligent de-toxing, and eventually you’ll reap the rewards.
Ok, enough of the nitty gritty. Let’s get to my review of the deodorants. I have some all-stars, and my hub’s favorites. Also, something for every budget! One thing to keep in mind is every person is so different. Deodorant is such a personal choice. What works for one, may not work for another. It could be body chemistry, irritation, or just scent.
FAVORITE NONTOXIC DEODORANTS-
Where has this deodorant been all my life?! But really. I first tried this in the fall of 2019 and let’s just say I was hooked after I used it for the first time. I remember looking at it when I got it in the mail and thinking there is no way this is going to work. I don’t know about you but spray deodorants have never worked for me- not even conventional ones. That is until I tried Ursa Majors! Wow this deodorant really delivers. When I looked into it more I learned that sage actually helps dry up underarm sweat. It smells fresh but not too potent. I smell good all day. The kicker and what makes it extra special is the fact it doesn’t get all over your clothes! Most deodorants easily leave a residue all over your clothes and deodorant stains. Not this one. And guess what? My hubs absolutely loves it! He said it’s his favorite deodorant to date and asked if I could stock him up. And that’s saying a lot because he’s pretty picky! He loves that it doesn’t stain his clothes. I can’t recommend it enough!
Scent- Sage, geranium, sandalwood and lemon myrtle.
Longevity- Awesome! I smell good all day long.
Ease of Use- SO easy! I love that it is just a spray. Makes it so convenient and quick.
Packaging– Comes in a spray bottle.
Staining- It doesn’t stain! Let me repeat myself- it doesn’t stain!
Irritation- None, if anything it’s better for sensitive underarms because there is no rubbing or chafing.
Baking Soda- None
This is one of my husband’s favorite deodorants-he loves it! It worked well for me too!
Scents- Hoppin’ Fresh, blend of eucalyptus, ginger, rosemary, grapefruit, chamomile and lemon.
Longevity- Good, for me it lasted a solid day and my husband thought it lasted him the whole day easily.
Ease of Use- Awesome, goes on so easy! My hubs kept telling me, this is exactly how a deodorant is supposed to go on. It reminded him of his mainstream deodorant.
Packaging- It comes in a stick form, that’s chubby and round.
Staining- I didn’t notice any on my shirts, my hubs noticed a little on a few shirts but he said it was more on his workout shirts- he’s a sweater! 🙂
Baking Soda- Yes
My hub’s gives this 5 stars easily. A great unisex deodorant. Shop Ursa Major deodorant here!
This deodorant is another fave. It gives me the protection and the fresh smell I crave. If you can’t tolerate baking soda well they also have a sensitive version with less baking soda.
Scents- Charcoal, Blue Tansy, Geranium, Lemongrass, Lavender, Tea Tree, Unscented. (Charcoal and Blue Tansy are my faves, my hubs loves the charcoal scent).
Longevity- Great! I can go about two days with this one as well if not exercising.
Ease of Use- Goes on so smooth and easy, no harsh rubbing to get it on.
Packaging- Comes in a stick form that’s BPA free.
Staining- My hubs noticed staining but I didn’t.
Baking Soda- Yes
This is such a great natural deodorant that not only works but is friendlier on the budget as well. Use code: GURLGONEGREEN for 10% off your purchase. Shop here for Primally Pure deodorant!
This deodorant keeps me smelling fresh all day long. I love how creamy it is. I don’t care for the other scents- except for the men’s deodorant- holiMan(my hubs loves it). But this holi(Rose) is so good!
Scents- holi(Rose) smells like roses but in an old grandma kind of way. holi(man)- vetiver, rose, sandalwood, leathery cistus and warm cedarwood.
Longevity- Awesome- smell fresh all day long. Both my hubs and I.
Ease of Use- Great! It goes on so smooth, very creamy.
Packaging- Comes in a stick form.
Staining- It does stain if I’m sweating profusely. I noticed in the summer months more and my hubs noticed some as well.
Baking Soda- Yes
This deodorant is a rock star in my book for many reasons. I’ve been using it for over 5 years. It keeps me smelling fresh for more than one day. I usually squeeze two days out of it if I’m not exercising.
Scents- Lavender or Unscented (like them both)
Longevity- Amazing, best I’ve found.
Ease of Use- Good, sometimes it will get a little hard on top but for the most part good.
Packaging- Comes in a stick form. BPA-free recyclable container.
Staining- My hubs noticed staining on his shirts and I noticed some on a few shirts.
Irritation- None, not ever!
Baking Soda- Yes
Price- $7.99 for 1oz. 2.7oz. for $14
Have you guys tried any of these? Any that you really like I didn’t mention? I would love to hear what you’ve been using! Leave me a comment below.