When you think of all the things you need to purchase when having a new baby, a new mattress for their crib is definitely on the list. Even if a baby doesn’t sleep in their crib right away, eventually they will! I have had the same Naturepedic Crib Mattress for all 4 of my babies so that really goes to show how much I love it and how truly durable it is. It’s of the highest quality, carries some stellar 3rd party certifications, and it is non-toxic of course. And when I find a product I can stand behind, I definitely want to share all about it!
*Affiliate Disclosure: I do have affiliate links in this blog post. If you purchase something from my link, I will receive a small commission from the sale. This comes at no cost to you, but is paid by the company. I do not take becoming an affiliate with any company lightly. If I am, it’s because I believe in the company and their product.
Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress Features
I actually got my Naturepedic Crib Mattress when my eldest was born nearing 8 years ago! This was before I had even started to detox my own bedroom. The importance of an organic mattress for my baby was high on my list of needs.
Naturepedic has 3 of the best organic crib mattresses that you can choose from that will fit a standard sized crib (they also have a Mini and an Oval). They have the Classic, Breathable and Breathable Ultra. We chose the Classic.
You can check out Naturepedic’s Organic Crib Mattresses here!
All 3 of the organic crib mattresses will fit standard cribs or toddler beds with a snug fit that is recommended by the Consumer Product Safety Commission This size is 27 1/4″ x 51 5/8″ x 6″.
All 3 mattress options are waterproof (including waterproof seams). This is done using a patented food-grade waterproof surface made from non-GMO sugarcane. That’s right, no added toxins and you will still have a washable cover for easy clean up.
All 3 are made with organic and natural materials in an organic factory with the entire finishes product being certified organic!
Again, all 3 of the options are free of toxic chemicals you will find in conventional mattresses. This includes things like: polyvinyl chloride (PVC), PFAS, biocides, flame retardants and polyurethane foam.
And, of course, all 3 mattress options meet all government flammability testing WITHOUT the use of flame retardants. And these flame retardants are a big deal.
According to the National Institute of Environmental Sciences, studies have shown that these chemicals (which by the way CHILDREN are more vulnerable to) have been associated with the following:
- Endocrine Disruptors
- Thyroid Dysfunction
- Impacts on the Immune System
- Reproductive Toxicity
- Neurological Dysfunction
- Adverse Effects on Fetal/Child Development
So when I found Naturepedic mattresses used natural fibers (like organic wool) and STILL passed the same flammability testing as those that use fire retardants, I knew I had struck gold. They are able to do this because of their smart natural mattress design and the elimination of highly flammable synthetics such as polyurethane foam (also known as memory foam).
So here are the specifics on the standard crib mattresses Naturepedic has to offer and you will get to choose from:
Classic: Option to add on the Breathable Cover, Lightweight or 150 Coils, Optional 2 Stage Design, Price $259-$299
Breathable: Breathable Cover (Waterproof Backing), Lightweight or 252 Coils, 2 Stage Design, Price $349-$379
Breathable Ultra: Breathable Cover (Thicker/Quilted, No Waterproof Backing), Lightweight or 252 Coils, 2 Stage Design, Price $399-$429
To help understand the options you have I will dive in a little deeper on a few of them:
- The breathable cover is what allows more air flow – 360 degree air circulation to be exact. Having a breathable mattress is great for when babies start to roll and end up on their stomach, they are able to breathe more easily because the air can pass right through. It also allows for a cooler sleep environment because of air flow. Which can mean better sleep for babies and parents!
- Support Options: You can choose between a traditional innerspring or Naturepedic’s patented lightweight core. The lightweight core has the same strength and durability as the innerspring but can come at almost half the weight which makes it extra easy to move or flip over when the time comes.
- 2 Stage Design: This design allows for basically 2 levels of firmness in one mattress. One side of the mattress has a more firm surface, which is best for a baby. When you flip the mattress, you have a softer toddler side, where the support is more of a medium-firm.
- Cost: With there being varying choices of add-ons for each model, prices can vary. But, with the super high quality and durability of the mattress, you can’t go wrong with any of the choices!
Naturepedic Brand Certifications
With all the greenwashing that exists I always think it is important that you check a brand’s 3rd party certifications. This will confirm if they are actually delivering all that they claim. Here are Naturepedic’s 3rd party certifications:
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS): The worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibres. The USDA recognizes GOTS as the standard for organic consumer goods.
- Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS): A globally recognized standard for products made out of organically grown natural rubber latex.
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)/Rainforest Alliance: The FSC is the premier sustainable forestry standard and the Rainforest Alliance is a founding member of this council. This certification means the company meets rigorous environmental, social and economic criteria designed to protect lands, ecosystems and workers.
- MADESAFE: The MADESAFE certification is a rigorous process that, if a brand is able to achieve it, signifies that their products are made with ingredients not known or suspected to cause human health harm. This certification can be for anything from baby, personal care, household products and so much more.
- UL/ Greenguard Gold Certification and UL Formaldehyde Free: A certification that tests products/materials for chemical emissions. Those that achieve certification are helping to reduce indoor air pollution and chemical exposure.
- Organic Exchange OCS100: An independent verification of the organic materials in the end product.
Beyond these certifications, Naturepedic is also certified by the following: Green America, Vegan (they have several options that are made without wool), PETA Approved Vegan, Sustainable Furnishings Council and Health Product Declaration Collaborative.
Wow! I am still so impressed at the thoroughness that Naturepedic takes when making their products. Oh, and did I mention, they’re even made in the USA. You can check out the 3 Best Organic Mattresses (Made in the USA) here!
Naturepedic’s Commitment to Quality
When investing in anything that not only have you spent time researching and learning about, but you have obviously made a financial investment as well I think it makes it so much easier when the company is able to back up their claims with a warranty or trial period. Here is what Naturepedic offers for their baby products (must be purchased from the Naturepedic website):
- Mattresses come with a 100-night free trial with free shipping and free returns
- Bedding accessories carry a 30 day money back guarantee.
- Crib Mattresses carry a lifetime limited warranty. Accessories comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
***Note this is just for their baby products. Visit HERE to check out what they offer for their other products for money back guarantee and warranty***
Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress Review
Now that you have all the details on Naturepedic Crib Mattresses, here are my thoughts and why I think it is the best crib mattress after 7+ years and 4 babies sleeping on it;)
- It’s Organic- It might come as a no-brainer but I love knowing my baby is sleeping on an crib mattress with an organic certification. This means it is free of harmful chemicals like formaldehyde, flame retardants, volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) and glues. It’s important to know what your baby is sleeping on to ensure they have the best and safest environment for sleep. Naturepedic uses cotton that is certified and grown in the U.S. from USDA certified sources. And the fact that they don’t use flame retardant chemicals but still meet all fire safety requirements was a huge selling point for me.
- It’s Waterproof- Having a waterproof mattress has been huge and so necessary for babies. We have had our Naturepedic Crib Mattress for 7 years and one of the attributing factors to it lasting this long is because it has a waterproof cover. There have been many times where my babies/toddlers have leaked through but it doesn’t stain or damage the mattress because it’s waterproof. The LDPE waterproof coating is so pure it actually meets food contact standards (made from non-GMO sugarcane without any glues or adhesives). They even have heat-sealed waterproof seams so there is no leakage that can get into the sides.
- No Smell- There was no smell to the mattress when we opened it. As someone who is sensitive to smells and scents in general this was a concern of mine. So I was so relieved when there wasn’t any! It also gave me peace of mind to know there wasn’t a smell my baby was breathing in either.
- It has the 2-Stage Firmness Option- I love how they provide two stages of firmness as your baby grows. One stage is firmer for infants and then you can flip the other side over for a more medium firmness for toddlers. I’ve found that it’s also nice to rotate the mattress, it keeps it more even overall.
- So many 3rd Party Certifications- Naturepedic also has all the certifications to back up their claims, which as a mama makes me feel more at ease. The full list of certifications are above, but a few that made me feel good are: Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), UL/GREENGUARD, formaldehyde-free and Made-Safe Certified.
- Made in the United States – I love that Naturepedic is made in the U.S.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee- I find this a great bonus when purchasing a Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress. If for some reason you’re not happy with your purchase you can return it! I love when companies stand by their products like that. (This is only valid when purchased directly through Naturepedic).
- Best Organic Mattress Brand- One of the reasons I initially went with a Naturepedic Crib Mattress was because they have been around the longest when it comes to organic mattresses. They have been leading the charge and have been making organic mattresses for almost 20 years. I felt more comfortable going with a brand that has been around longer than most. I also have a king size organic mattress that my husband and I sleep on and love.
Read the review I did on my Naturepedic Mattress here!
Conclusion: Is the Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress worth it?
The Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress is 100% worth it in my opinion! After using it for 4 kids, and 7 years later, it has proven to be worth it in every way. It has held up tremendously well, easy to clean and transitions great from baby to toddler. I have definitely gotten my money’s worth and more from this crib mattress! I can’t recommend it enough if you’re searching for a non-toxic mattress that really delivers.
Check out Naturepedic’s Organic Crib Mattress options here!
What organic crib mattress did you get for your little one?
If you likes this post, check out these past posts:
Which model so you have that you’ve used for years? I’m trying to decide between them.
Suzi has the Classic. Check it out here (affiliate link): https://shrsl.com/41hms