Mattresses can be such a tough recommendation to give. We can all have such different preferences as far as comfort and support go. Plus, cost and quality can play a huge role in which brand you may pick. Add to that a brand that is committed to offering chemical-free mattresses and there is just so much to consider. Plus, how do you know if a bed is going to be the right fit for you without trying it first?! Well, I have found a mattress brand that I think almost anyone would love. And I am sharing my Naturepedic Mattress Review today!
*I was gifted my Naturepedic mattress from the company. However, thoughts and reviews are my own.
*Affiliate Disclosure: I do have affiliate links in this blog post. If you purchase something from my link, I will receive a small commission from the sale. This comes at no cost to you, but is paid by the company. I do not take becoming an affiliate with any company lightly. If I am, it’s because I believe in the company and their product.
Naturepedic has been making mattresses since 2003. And I love that they have been around for so long!
The company began after its founder, Barry Cik, was shopping for his first grandchild’s crib mattress. Through this process, he discovered exactly what was in traditional mattresses and that they were anything but nontoxic. With a background in environmental engineering, he set out to create mattresses that were safe for the consumer and the environment. And through his company, he has done just that!
Naturepedic offers options for everyone in your family from baby, to child, all the way up to adult and something for every budget- which I appreciate! You can customize the firmness too depending on what you want. For example, you can have it be firmer or softer on each side depending on what your partner and you want. They even have an amazing money back guarantee if you aren’t happy with your purchase. Plus, did I mention they are made in the United States? Check out the 3 Best Organic Mattresses (Made in the USA) where I feature Naturepedic!
I was first introduced to Naturepedic over 8 years ago when I was searching for an organic option for my baby girl’s crib mattress.
At the time I hadn’t started to detox our bedroom yet and was just learning about the toxic load conventional mattresses can bring. I ended up choosing their organic crib mattress for our daughter and have loved it.
Just like the founder of Naturepedic, I remember finding it alarming to learn all about the harmful chemicals that can be found in mattresses! From flame retardants, VOC’s, and formaldehyde- the toxic load can be scary. Not to mention, mattress companies are not required to disclose all the chemicals they use in order to make their mattresses compliant with mattress regulations. It’s also important to mention that many there are many out there claiming to be natural and organic brands that actually have no certifications backing up these claims.
Are Naturepedic mattresses safe?
Yes, Naturepedic mattresses are extremely safe and in fact one of the safest on the market! Not only do they use more natural materials, but here’s a list of chemical additives they avoid:
- NO Flame/ Fire Retardants or Flame Retardant Barriers
- NO Memory Foam or other forms of Polyurethane Foam
- NO Soybean or Biobased Foam (polyurethane foam with soybean oil mixed in)
- NO Synthetic Latex Rubber
- NO Harmful Glues or Adhesives
- NO GMO Cotton or other GMO fibers
- NO Shoddy Insulator Pads
What are Naturepedic mattresses made with?
First things first, all Naturepedic organic mattresses are 100% certified organic and nontoxic. There are 3 models to choose from for adult mattresses. I will get into further detail below but wanted to hit on what Naturepedic mattresses are made with. Just some of the natural materials that Naturepedic uses to construct their mattresses include:
- U.S. Grown and Certified Organic Cotton Fabric and Fill
- Organic Wool Batting
- PLA – a synthetic fiber made from non-GMO sugarcane
- Glueless encased support coils
- Glueless encased microcoils
- Organic Latex
With all the greenwashing that exists I always think it is important that you check a brand’s 3rd party certifications. This will confirm if they are actually delivering all that they claim. Here are Naturepedic’s 3rd party certifications:
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS): The worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibres. The USDA recognizes GOTS as the standard for organic consumer goods.
- Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS): A globally recognized standard for products made out of organically grown natural rubber latex.
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)/Rainforest Alliance: The FSC is the premier sustainable forestry standard and the Rainforest Alliance is a founding member of this council. This certification means the company meets rigorous environmental, social and economic criteria designed to protect lands, ecosystems and workers.
- MADESAFE: The MADESAFE certification is a rigorous process that, if a brand is able to achieve it, signifies that their products are made with ingredients not known or suspected to cause human health harm. This certification can be for anything from baby, personal care, household products and so much more.
- UL/ Greenguard Gold Certified and UL Formaldehyde Free: A certification that tests products/materials for chemical emissions. Those that achieve certification are helping to reduce indoor air pollution and chemical exposure.
- Organic Exchange OCS100: An independent verification of the organic materials in the end product.
Beyond these certifications, Naturepedic is also certified by the following: Green America, Vegan (they have several options that are made without wool), PETA Approved Vegan, Sustainable Furnishings Council and Health Product Declaration Collaborative.
These certifications and the longevity of the company were some of the main reasons I initially went with Naturepedic when we were comparing crib mattresses for my daughter and then eventually the mattress we chose for my hubs and me!
Naturepedic’s Quality Assurance
Obviously, a new mattress, let alone an organic mattress, can be an investment. So, when a brand can stand behind their product it makes it so much easier to choose to buy from that brand. Naturepedic has done just this! Here is what they offer for their adult products:
- A 100 night free trial – this includes the Chorus, Serenade, EOS and all toppers (this includes FREE shipping and returns) – to ensure your new bed is a good fit for you
- A 30 day money back guarantee on accessories
- 100 day free EOS layer swap
- The Chorus, Serenade, EOS and Halcyon mattresses feature a 25 year limited warranty.
- All accessories have a one year limited warranty
***These only apply to products purchased directly off the Naturepedic website***
Naturepedic Adult Mattress Options
There are 3 Naturepedic products to pick from for adult mattresses that really help to fit your individual needs. They have the Chorus, the Serenade , and the EOS. Here is a really great comparison chart Naturepedic has to show the difference and similarities of these mattresses.
Chorus Mattress: The Chorus Organic Mattress offers a medium firmness with a 10 inch thickness. It features a coil over coil construction. The top layer being a 1.5 inch microcoil layer for comfort and the bottom layer being 8 inch encased coils. Price can range from $1199-$2499.
Serenade Mattress: The Serenade offers either a firm or cushion-firm support level with an 11 inch thickness. It features latex over coil construction. The top layer is a 2 inch latex layer for comfort and the bottom layer is an 8 inch encased coil system. Prices can range from $2499-$2999.
EOS: The EOS has a lot more options to choose from. It is customizable and you can choose spit comfort levels even.
- EOS Classic (this is the mattress I have) offers comfort levels of extra-firm, firm, cushion-firm, medium or plush. It is 12 inches thick. The construction is either latex over coil or coil over coil. This means either a 3 inch latex or 3 inch microcoil comfort layer over 8 inch encased coils. Prices can range from $1799-$3599.
- EOS Pillowtop offers comfort levels of firm, cushion-firm, medium, plush or ultra-plush. It is 15 inches thick. The construction is either latex over coil or coil over coil. It is like the EOS Classic in that you can choose from 3 inch latex or 3 inch microcoil comfort layer over 8 inch encased coils, but there is an added 3 inch layer that can be either latex or microcoils. Prices can range from $2499-$4799. This mattress won the 2021 Good Housekeeping “Best Sustainable Mattress” Award!
- EOS Trilux offers comfort levels of extra-firm, firm, cushion-firm, medium and plush. It is 10 inches thick. The construction is latex over latex, with there being three 3 inch layers of latex. Prices can range from $2099-$4199.
***There is also the option to purchase a Foundation with your mattress, but this isn’t necessary as long as you have a similar level of support, whether it be a platform bed or an adjustable base. These are fine options too per Naturepedic.
Naturepedic Mattress Review
My husband and I had the pleasure of testing out the Naturepedic EOS Classic Organic King Size Mattress. The specific one I received was the medium latex with plush coils. My husband and I both prefer a soft mattress! We had gone to a store that carried organic/natural mattresses in the Seattle area first before choosing our mattress. We got to test out different types of Naturepedic mattresses. In the end, we knew we wanted the EOS Classic with medium latex and plush coils. It was so soft and felt dreamy just laying on it in the store. I couldn’t wait to start sleeping on it at home!
After having slept on it for four years I can honestly say we LOVE it! My husband used to tell me in the beginning about once a week how much he loved the mattress- no joke! He would say how it keeps him feeling cooler in warm months- which says a lot since he tends to run warm. These are such a good option for hot sleepers! He also likes how it feels soft but not too soft. I remember him going on a business trip and all I heard the whole time he was gone was how excited he was to come back home to his mattress! He said he’s slept better too- which I agree and I’m wondering if it has to do with not breathing in toxic fumes? He has allergies and used to sneeze all the time at night- now he doesn’t!
I agree with my husband. I feel so much cooler than I did with our last mattress. It also feels supportive but not hard or too firm and offers a very comfortable sleep. I also like how breathable everything feels. I truly look forward to going to bed each night! I love knowing we aren’t breathing in harmful fumes when we’re sleeping and our body isn’t absorbing toxic chemicals either. It did have a faint smell when we first opened it. But it wasn’t a chemical smell, just a subtle unboxing smell in my opinion. Once it was out for a day I didn’t smell anything. It’s held up so well too since getting it four years ago. I can’t recommend it enough!
How To Put the Naturepedic Mattress Together
When we received the Naturepedic mattress it came in several boxes. I know it sounds interesting to put the mattress together huh? But it’s SO easy! It comes in 4 boxes and there is a box that’s marked open me first with the instructions in it. So you’re all set. Then it walks you through the whole process step by step. It was super easy to set up.
It comes with an encasement which essentially houses the mattress parts. My hubs laid that out first on top of our bed. Then we opened the box that had the coil support- one for each side of the bed since we have a king. My hubs put those in.
Then we opened the next box that had the 3 inch comfort layers and put those on top of the coils. Then we zipped up the encasement and we were all set- easy peasy! My hubs was even impressed with how simple the whole process was.
Conclusion: Is the Naturepedic mattress worth it?
I 100% think investing in a Naturepedic mattress is worth it! My husband and I both can’t recommend this mattress enough.
It really has exceeded our expectations and we are a hard sell! Not only do I have peace of mind sleeping on a chemical-free mattress knowing that we are getting healthier sleep, but the comfort and support are exactly what we both need.
Between the organic crib mattress that all of our babies have used and our king-size EOS Classic Mattress, we have been so pleased with Naturepedic!
What’s your favorite organic mattress brand?
If you liked this post, check out these past posts: