While I have always known that replacement of electrolytes was important, I was never able to find electrolyte drinks that I actually liked and enjoyed drinking. Whether it be the taste or the unwanted ingredients it just never lived up to the hype. That is, until I found LMNT! I am sharing my full LMNT review and what makes them stand out from the competition. Once you try LMNT, you will never look for another electrolyte drink again!
*Affiliate Disclosure: I do have affiliate links in this blog post. If you purchase something from my link, I will receive a small commission from the sale. This comes at no cost to you, but is paid by the company. I do not take becoming an affiliate with any company lightly. If I am, it’s because I believe in the company and their product.
The electrolyte drinks that LMNT carries are next level. The ingredients are clean, the flavors are so tasty and the results people are seeing from drinking them are so impressive. They are definitely my favorite electrolyte drink!
Why Do I Need An Electrolyte Drink?
First things first, before sharing WHY you need electrolytes the question is what is an electrolyte? That word is thrown around a lot, especially when it comes to athletes and their sports drinks, and I think it’s important to understand a little bit of physiology.
First, electrolytes are essential for basic life functioning.
“They are any of various ions, such as sodium, potassium, or chloride, required by cells to regulate the electric charge and flow of water molecules across the cell membrane. They are largely minerals with electric charges that are dissolved in blood, cellular fluid or extracellular fluid and help to maintain nerve, muscle, acid-base balance and water balance in the body.” (source)
While we could dive in even deeper on each electrolyte, I think the most important takeaway is that these are essential for basic life function! So now we are back to the initial question of, why do we need an electrolyte drink?
Ultimately, throughout any given day, we are losing electrolytes through normal bodily functions that include our sweat and urine. Without replacement of these essential minerals, we can end up with an imbalance that could create a variety of symptoms that can range in severity.
Some symptoms of an imbalance include:
- low energy/excessive tiredness
- confusion/brain fog
- irregular heartbeat
- change in blood pressure
- twitching muscles/spasm
- nervous system disorders
And the list really does go on and on. So ultimately we need to replace electrolytes that are lost throughout the day (and night) to promote the highest functioning of our bodies!
What Are The Ingredients In LMNT?
And that is where LMNT steps in! Made from the best ingredients you will feel great about drinking it. Ingredients include:
- Salt (Sodium Chloride),
- Citric Acid
- Magnesium Malate
- Potassium Chloride
- Natural Flavors
- Stevia Leaf Extract
One packet includes 1000 mg of sodium, 200 mg of potassium and 60 mg of magnesium. What it doesn’t have in it is sugar or junky fillers.
One thing I want to point out is the sodium levels in the packet. Unfortunately there has been some guidance by the FDA making salt out to be the bad guy when it comes to health and wellness.
The FDA currently recommends that we limit our sodium intake to 2,300 mg per day in an aim to reduce blood pressure, and in turn, this should reduce cardiovascular disease and deaths.
However, there are studies that don’t align with what the FDA is recommending and I think are important to check out. Here are just a few of those studies:
- This study from the European Heart Journal showed that higher daily per person consumption of salt was correlated with longer life expectancy and lower rates of all-cause mortality.
- The Intersalt Study looked at over 10,000 people across the world and found no correlation between higher intakes of salt and the incidence of high blood pressure.
- This study found that lower intake of salt was actually linked to higher blood pressure.
My take away, and hopefully yours too, is that there is no one size fits all recommendation for salt intake. Sure if you are sitting on the couch most of the day and consuming a highly processed diet, then you probably don’t need any added salt. But if you are active and eating whole foods, you want to make sure you are getting enough for optimal functioning of your body. And, make sure to listen to your body because you know it best!
I love the variety of flavors that LMNT has to offer. My hubs and I both love Citrus Salt the most, but I will drink all of them! Since they have come out with the Chocolate Caramel (it comes in a variety pack with the Chocolate Salt and Mint Chocolate flavors), that has been a favorite in the cooler months. Here are the flavors they currently have:
- Citrus Salt
- Watermelon Salt
- Orange Salt
- Raspberry Salt
- Chocolate Salt
- Mint Chocolate
- Chocolate Caramel
- Mango Chili
- Raw Unflavored
- Lemon Habanero
LMNT Review: Are They the Best Electrolyte Option?
I have been drinking LMNT electrolytes for a year and a half and I don’t plan to stop! I love the flavor and the way they make me feel. I’ve never been into electrolytes until LMNT. But since taking them I’ve seen a difference in my overall energy and hydration levels. Even while I was pregnant and since breastfeeding I have noticed a difference in my thirst and milk supply. It’s interesting because I’ve heard other mamas give testament to their milk supply being great while taking electrolytes as well.
I do think that LMNT electrolytes are the best when it comes to electrolytes for a variety of reasons.
- First, the flavor is next level! The electrolytes come in packets and you can use the whole packet or half or whatever you like. I put a whole packet in 32 ounces of water at a time. It adds just enough flavor to my water, without it being watered down or too salty- at least for me. Obviously, the less water you have, the saltier your water will taste. I crave the saltiness and love the flavor of the saltiness mixed with the sweetness of the flavor. My favorite flavor is Citrus– my hubs too, but I will literally drink any flavor. I love Grapefruit too, but it’s only available during the summer months. They also have a Chocolate Caramel that I love in the winter time when I want a cup of hot chocolate and something warm. I just heat up some coconut milk and add the Chocolate Caramel to it and serve. No sugar and no dairy but it tastes amazing! Like a salted hot chocolate.
- The second reason I believe they are the best is because of their ingredients. So many electrolytes can have weird fillers, sugar or artificial ingredients in them. Not LMNT. They use only the pure stuff and keep the unnecessary ingredients out. I love that they keep it clean. They not only have sodium, but potassium and magnesium. They explain more in depth here on why they have these specific three minerals in LMNT on their website here. I’ve had questions about the “natural flavors” in them. Here’s what they are, “the natural flavors are fruit extracts from the fruit that have been spray-dried into powder form. There is no artificial flavoring.”
- Lastly, I love how they can support optimal hydration. I’ve read so many testimonials from people who have felt a difference when taking LMNT electrolytes. From having easier periods and no headaches to increased stamina. I can definitely attest to more substantial energy levels. I feel more energy overall especially for my workouts. I also have noticed my milk supply has been awesome this time with breastfeeding. I know that hydration levels are so important while nursing. This truly helps to satisfy that thirst and keeps me drinking my water because they’re so tasty! I’ve even read where people make popsicles out of the LMNT electrolyte packs- which sound amazing.
Get A Free Sample Packet With Any Purchase
You can try all of the flavors right now for free with any purchase! Just make a purchase and you’ll get a free sample packet. Get the FREE sample packet here!
How many LMNT packets can I drink per day?
There is no one size fits all answer to this question. LMNT is meant to replace electrolytes lost in the day and obviously various factors, such as activity level and what else you consume on a typical day, will determine how much you need to replace.
Per LMNT, “the clinical data demonstrates targeting 5-7g of sodium, 1-3g of potassium, and 250-500mg of magnesium throughout the day from various sources, ideally from predominantly whole foods. We hear that many folks find 1-2 packets per day to be optimal, often depending on their activity level. Others use more.”
When is the best time of day to drink LMNT?
When you are replacing lost electrolytes it is best to think ahead! Some like first thing in the morning so you start the day out hydrated. Others like to drink ahead of a workout (30 minutes ahead of time works best). Or if you like to use a sauna, start sipping on your electrolytes before you start your session. You can test out various times and see what works best for you. I even like sipping my LMNT electrolytes throughout the day!
Can I drink LMNT everyday?
It is important to replace the minerals lost daily through sweat, urine, etc. While even LMNT recommends doing this predominantly through whole foods, you can also supplement with LMNT. And yes, you can drink it daily. But always consider what else you are consuming throughout a day and your activity levels. What works for one person may not be what is best for another.
How can I save on LMNT?
LMNT offers a value bundle that when you purchase 3 boxes of electrolytes you get the 4th box free! They also offer a Subscribe and Save option that will save you money as well. This is a monthly subscription that will keep you stocked on your favorite LMNT flavors.
If you liked this post, check out these past posts: