The easiest way to get clean air is with with Austin Air Purifier!
Clean air is a big part of a clean and healthy home. Whether it be your cleaning products, your furniture, paint, flooring, etc they emit and off gas harmful chemicals. Add to that viruses, bacteria, mold & mycotoxins or pet dander and quickly the indoor air quality that we breathe all day every day isn’t as pure as we would want.
But, in steps the Austin Air Systems! I am sharing why I think they are truly the best option on the market for an air filter and why.
*Affiliate Disclosure: I do have affiliate links in this blog post. If you purchase something from my link, I will receive a small commission from the sale. This comes at no cost to you, but is paid by the company. I do not take becoming an affiliate with any company lightly. If I am, it’s because I believe in the company and their product.
Austin Air Systems
Austin Air Systems was founded by Richard Taylor after trying to find a solution for his wife’s respiratory problems. It was discovered her difficulties were a result of breathing in airborne contaminants. They also noted she felt her best when she was in her hospital room and knew they needed to reproduce that environment for her to feel her best. So, Richard knew he needed to create an air filter that was similar to those used in medical facilities. And he did just that! He used a combination of true medical grade HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) and granular activated carbon to create a filter that would help with airborne particles AND chemical toxicity.
This new air filter was so successful that Richard went from building a few Austin Air Healthmate Units in his home workshop the first year, to the next year building more than 1,500 in a leased workshop. And now, over 3 decades later, Austin Air Systems is THE largest air cleaner manufacturing facility in the world – which is based in Buffalo, New York.
Related Content: Branch Basics (Tested + Reviewed)
Features of Austin Air Purifier
Austin Air’s products offer some amazing technology that will allow you to have only the best air purification in your home and breathe only fresh air.
All of the Austin Air filters start with a Stage 1 large particle pre-filter. This will remove dust, hair, and pet dander – things that you can see with the naked eye.
Stage 2 is a medium particle pre-filter. This will remove small to medium size particles which includes things like molds, spores and pollens.
Stage 3 is where the filters start to differ a little. The Healthmate and Bedroom Machine both have 780 cubic inches of activated carbon and zeolite to remove chemicals, gases, and odors. The Allergy Machine has 60 square feet of true medical grade HEPA to remove 99.97% of all particles larger than .3 microns and 99% of all particles larger than .1 microns. The Healthmate Plus has 780 cubic inches of activated carbon, potassium iodide impregnated carbon and zeolite to remove volatile organic compounds (VOC’s), formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases, and odors.
Stage 4 also is a little different from model to model. For the Healthmate, Healthmate Plus, and the Bedroom Machine, this is where they use the 60 square feet of true medical grade HEPA. The Allergy Machine has Military Grade HEGA (High Efficiency Gas Arrestance) Carbon Cloth, which provides an extremely large surface area for absorption of chemicals, gases, viruses, and bacteria.
The Bedroom Machine has a Stage 5 in which it features the Military Grade HEGA.
Cost of an Austin Air Purifier
With this level of ultimate protection given by Austin Air Units, the cost is definitely not cheap. The cost of any of the standard size units can range from $715-$995. The replacement filter cost starts at $205. But knowing that you won’t have to replace that filter for 5 years makes that cost seem so much more affordable!
Shipping, Warranty & Money Back Guarantee
Austin Air offers some pretty amazing commitments to quality so you can feel good about investing in their products.
- Money Back Guarantee: If you aren’t happy with your Austin Air Purifier for any reason in the first 30 days, you can return it for a refund with no questions asked.
- 5 Year Mechanical Warranty: Your Austin Air Purifier carries a 5 year warranty from the date of purchase. You will want to make sure to fill out and return the warranty registration to Austin Air Systems.
- 5 Year, Pro-Rated Filter Warranty: Austin Air Filters are designed to last 5 years. If the filter doesn’t last 5 years, they offer a 5 year pro-rated warranty. If your filter doesn’t last 5 years and has been used under normal residential conditions, Austin will discount the cost of the filter based on how many years you’ve had it.
- FREE Shipping: Offered to the contiguous United States.
***See Austin Air’s User Manual for all details***
Austin Air Products Available
You have 4 models to choose from:
- Healthmate (this is the model we have in our home!): This is their original and most popular unit! It was made to address everyday air quality concerns – this includes viruses, bacteria, dust, dander, and allergens.
- Healthmate Plus™: This machine is designed for those dealing with highly contaminated air quality. Those that are dealing with things like smoke (from wildfires) or even dentists looking to protect themselves and their patients.
- Bedroom Machine: This machine is best for those who difficulty sleeping and/or poor sleep quality. Also, if you suffer from anything like COPD, allergy or asthma attacks at night. Or if you are just looking for an improvement in your health and overall wellbeing.
- Allergy Machine: Just like the name says, this model was designed for those that suffer from allergies, or live in damp environments.
Per Austin Air customer service, all of their standard filters are interchangeable within the standard size unit.
*** Austin Air used to offer Junior Size products but discontinued those over a year ago because there was such a demand for their standard size products. So you will still see the replacement filters for the Junior size being sold to support those that were bought previously***
Why I Chose the Austin Air Filter For My Home
There are many reasons I went with the Austin Air Filter. First, Austin Air has been around for a long time- over 30 years. They are tanks and are made of steel, versus plastic like some air filters, so you don’t have the additional off-gassing. You only have to change the air filter every five years in normal residential situations, compared to many air filters that are 6 months to a year depending on filters. So long term you’re saving more money. I also love that Austin Air Filters are made in the U.S. and are medical-grade HEPA filters. They are tested at John Hopkins University and do third party testing, which is huge. Many companies will do independent testing but those can be easily swayed to their desired results. Austin also has 15 pounds of carbon- and 60 square ft. of HEPA which is more than anyone in the industry. This alone is amazing and the cleaning power is really next level. That’s why you don’t have to change the filter as much. They’re what FEMA uses, and the American Red Cross.
The Air Doctor has definitely made a name for itself on social media. So I want to share why I chose Austin Air over the Air Doctor for my family.
Austin Air Versus Air Doctor:
- Long-Lasting Filter- You only have to change an Austin Filter every 5 years, versus an Air Doctor that needs to be changed every 6 months for the carbon/gas/trap/VOC filter and the UltraHEPA filter is every 12 months.
- What They’re Made From- The Austin is made from steel and a powder coat paint that is baked on, so they don’t off gas. The Air Doctor is made from plastic and I have read reviews of users saying the first time they plugged it in they could smell the off-gassing.
- Third Party Testing- Austin performs third party testing, whereas Air Doctor just does Independent testing. I like the third party testing because the results are as honest as you can get. Independent testing can be swayed often.
- Carbon- Austin uses 15lbs of activated carbon in their air filters. There is no one using this much carbon and that is why tests from Wirecutter Magazine showed that Austin Air was the only air filter able to remove VOCs from the environment.
- Side Vent Vs./ Top Vent- Austin uses side vents that push the air flow out and better distributes the air flow around the room and not just the air space. Air Doctor uses a top vent.
- Uses a Military Grade HEGA Filter- HEGA stands for High Efficiency Gas Absorption. It is something special to Austin Air purifiers. Studies have shown that it provides a large area for pollution to be caught. Removing things like bacteria, viruses and gases.
- HEPA Filters- The Austin uses 60 ft of medical grade HEPA. This removes viruses. Air Doctor uses HEPA but not as much and that is why Austin is able to extend the life of their filters for 5 years.
- Air Pollutants- Austin has a 360 system that allows air pollutants to come in from all sides of the air filter. Air Doctor only has two sides.
- Warranty- Austin Air Filters offer a 5 year warranty from the date of purchase on the unit and a 5 year pro-rated filter warranty- the most comprehensive in the industry. So if a filter lasts less than 5 years, Austin will discount the cost of the filter based on how many years you’ve had it. Air Doctors offer a 1 year warranty.
- Clinical Trials- Austin Air has multiple clinical trials done on their air purifiers. Here are just a few. John Hopkin’s trial here. American Academy of Pediatrics here. University of Washington here.
Austin Air FAQ’s
How Long Does the Austin Air Filter Last?
The filter lasts for 5 years. It is guaranteed to last that long. If for any reason it doesn’t Austin Air will discount the price of the filter based on how many years it’s been in use. It really depends on the environment you’re in. For example, a new house might require replacement filters sooner. The average home though is 5 years.
Are Austin Air Purifiers Loud?
The Austin Air Machines have 3 different fan speeds. They range from 50 dB (decibels) to around 65 dB. In the lowest setting you can hardly tell it’s on after a while, while the third setting is like a more powerful fan noise. It doesn’t bother me. I think you get used to them too.
Should I Run My Air Purifier All Day and Night?
Yes! Continuous use of an Austin Air Purifier is the best way to ensure your air is constantly being cleaned and is fresh. This is especially important at night when we are spending a good amount of time in one room. You want the air to be as clean as possible. I run my air purifiers nonstop. They are always going. From the bedrooms to our playroom.
Do I Need To Clean My Austin Air Purifier?
This is another great perk of an Austin Air Purifier! They require little maintenance compared to other air purifiers. As I mentioned above you don’t have to change the filter for 5 years typically. You can vacuum the intake area of your air filter with your brush attachment and then wipe the outside with a damp cloth, but that’s it!
Are Austin Air Purifiers energy efficient?
The Austin Air cleaner will cost less than a penny (0.7cents) per hour on average, with the highest setting drawing 135 watts (source).
What air filter do you use in your home?
If you liked this post, check out these past posts: