When going through our makeup routine there are times we want to look like we are wearing makeup – like a big event or holidays. Other times we want to have more of an effortlessly flawless makeup look for everyday. You know where you spent time polishing up your look but want to look like you aren’t wearing a whole bunch of makeup – a more natural look. And I am going to share with you exactly how to achieve a no makeup makeup look like this!
*Affiliate Disclosure: I do have affiliate links in this blog post. If you purchase something from my link, I will receive a small commission from the sale. This comes at no cost to you, but is paid by the company. I do not take becoming an affiliate with any company lightly. If I am, it’s because I believe in the company and their product.
What Is A No Makeup Makeup Look?
Like I touched on above, a no makeup makeup look is (just like the name implies) going to look like you aren’t wearing any makeup. You will use your makeup – and skincare for that matter – to highlight your natural features. It is a minimal look as well that works for everyday makeup.
Check out my Minimalist Makeup Routine here!
Tips For Creating A No Makeup Look
It’s all in your skincare routine! When your skincare routine is on point and skin is hydrated- you don’t need a ton of makeup. You want your makeup to be light and airy, not heavy.
- Wear Foundation or Skip It? It really depends on what you feel comfortable wearing. Skip the medium and full coverage foundations and opt for something light or don’t wear any at all. Tinted moisturizers are great.
- Grab all the cream makeup products. Reach for cream blushes, cream shadows, cream bronzers, and highlighters. These really give your skin a natural look and the illusion of wearing no makeup. Powders can look cakey and not natural.
- Invest in a good concealer. A concealer can help to minimize redness in areas and create a clean/natural canvas, without making it appear like you have a lot of makeup on.
- Subtle Pigments- You want subtle pigments, nothing bold. You’re going for a natural look so you want it to appear like a natural flush on the cheeks and natural stained lips.
How To Create A No Makeup Makeup Look in 6 Steps
- Start with skincare first– You want your skin to be hydrated and moisturized. Not dry. Dewy skin will really amplify your no makeup makeup look.
- Apply Concealer/Light Foundation– Next spot treat your face with concealer where needed or apply your light foundation. Really blend so you get a seamless look.
- Brush out brows– Fluffing brows with a brow brush can really help add volume to them. Then applying a clear brow gel can help hold them in place.
- Add cream blush– Using your fingers can often give you the best natural looking application. Applying on the upwards part of your cheek and blending up.
- Highlighter/Bronzer– You can use both a bronzer or highlighter or just one depending on your preference. If you’re using a highlighter, grab your highlighter and use your fingers to apply the product on the bridge of nose, cupid’s bow, upper cheek bones, and middle upper forehead. If using a bronzer, grab your bronzer(I prefer a cream formula) and apply along the upper forehead close to the hairline. sides of nose and on the indentions of the cheeks when you make a fish face. Then blend in with a beauty sponge. I’ve found a sponge works great for blending well and achieving a natural look.
- Add a lip tint– I love using a subtle gloss or moisturizing lip product that offers a hint of pigment but not a ton.
Products Used in My No Makeup, Makeup Look
- Moisturizers- I love a good moisturizer for prepping skin before a no makeup makeup look. For oily skin I love OSEA’s Blemish Balm. It’s hydrating but not oily- offers just the right amount of moisture. For dry skin, I love Alpyn Beauty’s Triple Vitamin C Brightening Bounce Cream. It’s completely nourishing to the skin, but soaks right in and really gives your skin a nice plump feeling and glow. If you have combination skin, OSEA’s Atmosphere Protection Cream is a great everyday moisturizer. Check out the Best Natural Face Moisturizers (For Your Skin Type) here!
- Concealer/Foundation- I love Beautycounter’s Skin Twin Concealer. This concealer is dewy and blends in so well. It’s not too heavy and comes in a a ton of shades. For a tinted moisturizer I really like Dew Skin from Beautycounter. It is weightless and really doesn’t feel like you are wearing a ton of makeup. It also has SPF 20 in it. For a lighter foundation I recommend Westman Atelier. It is super lightweight and feels like your skin. You can make it really sheer by applying it with a wet makeup sponge. It gives skin a glow and offers dewiness. Check out all my favorite natural foundations here and my favorite concealers here!
- Brows- I love TOK Beauty’s brow gel– not only keeps them in place but also adds volume.
- Cream Blush- I love Beautycounter’s Cream Blushes. They come in a variety of shades and blend in so easily into the skin. Really giving such a pretty natural flush look. Great for dabbing a little on your lips too.
- Highlighter/Bronzer- I love Westman Atelier Lit Up Highlight Sticks. These are really easy to apply and instantly give your skin a dewy, natural look. I alike to apply a little to my fingers and just pat on the skin. I also love Westman Atelier’s Contouring Stick in Biscuit. Check out my full Westman Atelier Review here!
- Lip Tint- I love Westman Atelier’s Squeaky Clean Liquid Lip Balm. They aren’t too overpowering for a gloss, just enough slick to them and sheen. And the colors are more natural. For a hydrating tinted lip product I always reach for Beautycounter’s Sheer Genius Conditioning Lipsticks. They offer a little bit of pigment, but still subtle and lots of hydration.
So simple and quick! You can create your everyday no makeup makeup look too. What’s your must have product when creating a look like this?
Is this makeup you recommend even with perioral dermatitis?
If I had perioral dermatitis I would skip makeup entirely. At least any face makeup. It’s only going to aggravate it more.