I've got my best natural lipstick color options in honor of National Lipstick Day! Switching from mainstream lip products to cleaner versions is a big deal! I mean, don't get me wrong, you should definitely switch all your makeup over from mainstream products, but the lips are especially important. Why?? Well, for starters studies show that women re-apply their lipstick/lip product at least 5 times a day…so that's a lot of toxins continually on those kissers. And they also say women consume over 7 pounds of lipstick in their lifetime…whoah! Pretty crazy. So instead of consuming ingredients like tar, lead and other harmful toxins, I think I'll stick with consuming natural ingredients like vitamin e oil, jojoba oil and castor seed oil.
Plus, it's not like you have to sacrifice when switching to a cleaner version… there are so many options- they make it easy! I've tried a few in my day…well a lot, I love a good bold lip. I've whittled down my faves and given you my top natural lipstick color products. Get your pout ready!
Tips for application-
- Always moisture your lips with a lip balm first. I love Vapour Organic’s Lip Balm. Who wants their lips to look cracked and dry when they have lipstick on top?!
- Even out your lips with a lip primer. I like Gabriel Lip Primer. This is a must! No one wants to compete with their natural lip color. This ensures your lips start out neutral before you apply any lipstick and the true color of the lipstick stands out.
- Wear a lip liner. I really love RMS Beauty lip liners or ZuZu Luxe lip liners. I always opt for a neutral color that matches the lips or a color that matches the lipstick. This helps to outline your lips beforehand so you know exactly wear to apply the lipstick. You can also make your lips more even or bigger if you want too. Plus, it helps the formula last longer.
- Always make sure your skin is polished and the redness diminished. If you have rosacea or redness like I do you’ll want to balance out your skin to bring it back to neutral. Too much redness with red lipstick or pink is only going to emphasize more redness/pink in your face and before long you may end up looking like you have a sunburn- ain’t no one got time for that! Do yourself a favor and use a concealer like Fitglow Beauty, RMS Beauty or Beautycounter to counteract the redness.
- Use a lip brush. Lipsticks can be hard to apply sometimes. To make application a breeze I recommend getting a lip brush. Just swipe the lipstick with the lip brush and then you are able to get such a precise application. I like using W3ll People Deluxe Lip Brush Lip Brush or RMS Beauty Brightening Brush(technically not a lip brush but works so well).
- Once you’ve applied the lipsticks blot once with a piece of paper. People often say use a tissue but tissue pieces often get stuck on the lips. Paper doesn’t have that issue. This helps to set your lipstick and get a deeper pigment. Then lightly apply one more swipe of color right in the center of the lips and slightly blend out.
*If you're in the market for a red lipstick keep reading to find a natural lipstick color option that works great for your skin tone.
How to pick the right red natural lipstick color for your skin tone-
- Red Heads- Use more brick toned reds, with orange undertones. Also, some corals are flattering on red heads.
- Fair Skin with Cool Undertones- Hues with more raspberry undertones warm up a fair skin with cool undertones.
- Light to Medium Skin- Use reds with more of a pinkish hue in them.
- Golden/Olive Skin- Deep rich reds add warmth and compliment golden skin.
- Medium Skin with olive/yellow undertones- You can rock orangey reds.
- Medium Skin with Golden Undertones- A true red is perfect on this skin tone. Make sure it doesn’t have blue undertones but orange.
- Medium Skin with Neutral Undertones- A true red works that doesn’t have too much orange or blue but meets in the middle.
- Tan with Warm Undertones- Orange Based Red.
- Dark with Warm Undertones- A blue based red compliments dark skin with warmth.
- Dark with Cool Undertones- Ruby red lipstick that’s a touch glossy to bring out lips. Also, wine reds or deep berry hues with a hint of moisture.
Here are some of my favorite natural lipstick color options-
These lipsticks are the best. To own a Kosas lipstick is to love it! These are pigmented, long lasting and moisturizing. I almost have all 8 colors in the collection and there isn’t a bad color. Some of my favorites are Royal, Thrillest, Electra and Rosewater. They feel so smooth on the lips. You won't miss wearing a conventional lipstick at all because these offer just the right pigment. Plus, they come in a chic black case. Get your Kosas Lipstick here!
Ok, these lipsticks are just lovely. These are the cleanest lipsticks I've found. No artificial dyes or pigments. Every aspect of the lipstick from the way the application glides on like butter, to the moisturizing formula, the subtle scent of citrus, to the chic packaging, no detail is spared when it comes to Axiology lipsticks- none. Let’s first start with the formula. The lipsticks are made with 10 organic/wildcrafted ingredients. There’s no bleeding or feathering, you get smooth application each time with lasting hydration. Instead of using beeswax to keep the long lasting lip color, they use avocado butter and candelilla wax. Literally you read the ingredient list and it’s all things you understand- I love it.
Can I talk about the packaging?! SO chic! They come in gold cases, that pop the lipstick up when you push on the bottom of the case. It doesn’t get cooler than that. Even their paper packaging the gold cases come in are made in Bali from recycled trash? Yes, they’re just next level! Get your Axiology here!
If you haven’t heard of Nudus lipsticks, then let me introduce you. These beauties are handcrafted in Australia and adhere to some of the highest standards in the world. Of course they had to be in my natural lipstick color guide. They use only the best oils to create these lipsticks. Oils like pomegranate, raspberry and kiwi-all cold pressed. Oh and it doesn’t stop there. All the colors are created using flowers, fruits, herbs and minerals! They are also gluten free and not tested on animals. Yeah, I have a major love fest for these lipsticks. I picked the color Survivor for NYE because it’s fresh, poppy and bright. Definitely how I look at this new year. Plus, it’s not everyday you can wear a punchy pink and get away with it…or maybe you can?! This is the perfect barbie pink in my opinion and it stays. The Choosy Chick has all the colors, but I must warn you-you’ll want them all. Grab your Nudus Lipstick here!
Beautycounter Color Intense Lipsticks
These lipsticks give your lips some serious color pigment. It's no wonder they are a bestseller from Beautycounter. They’re hydrating but not so much that your lipstick is everywhere. I love how rich they feel on the lips. Velvety and smooth. I have three colors, Girls’ Night, 9 to 5, and Backstage- and I love them all! 9 to 5 is literally just as the name implies- the perfect color to wear from 9-5. It’s not too bold but gives your face a pulled together look. Girls’ Night is your quintessential candy apple red. It can be bold but it also can be paired down too. If I want a more subtle approach I just apply less and it almost looks like more of a lip stain. Backstage is the nude everyone needs in their lipstick collection. It pairs great with smoky, dramatic eyes or for an overall dressed down look. Can’t go wrong with any of them!
I could not wait to try Red Apple Lipstick! If you’ve been in the green beauty community long enough, you’ve heard rave reviews about their lipsticks. Is it hype or truth? Friends, it’s truth! I had to add it to my natural lipstick color post. The formula is unlike any lipstick I’ve used. It’s so moisturizing-like a little conditioner on your lips. Yet the colors are vivid. A lot of lipsticks can be drying and get gunky on your lips after some wear-not Red Apple Lipsticks. These stay true to color and last! I sampled the colors So Pinkin’ Cute and Audrey. So Pinkin’ Cute is the perfect pop of pink for spring and summer and Audrey is a great neutral pink for anyone to wear everyday. I also sampled their lip liner in Natural. It was the perfect base before applying the lipstick. No bleeding, and the lipstick color lasted longer when I used it. They’re also vegan, and gluten free. Say goodbye to dry lipsticks that don’t last and snag a Red Apple Lipstick instead. These babies are the real deal when it comes to color and moisture! Get your Red Apple Lipstick here!
Everytime I’ve worn this natural lipstick color in Ultra Violet people have asked what I'm wearing. It’s a show stopper for sure. The perfect winter lipstick color. Shoot, I would probably wear this all year long. Their color block lipstick really takes the pigment game to the next level. It lasts all day and gives my lips some serious playing time in the spotlight. I love just swiping this on with a pretty neutral, bare face and calling it a day. Check out all the Ilia Lipstick colors here!
RMS has some really pretty reds in their lipstick collection! I love the color rebound, and russian roulette. Feels like a traditional lipstick. Has a satin to matte finish. Goes on thicker and really lasts all day. They also have some great lip liners too here! Check out all the RMS lipsticks here.
These feel very similar to a conventional lipstick. It isn’t super hydrating, but more weighty in texture. They have an opaque and heavy feel to them and more matte look. I love Kjaer Weis Lipstick in KW Red- A classic red that looks good on all skin tones. It wears well and lasts! I can't find my tube of it! So no picture but trust me when I say it's a good one. Check out all the Kjaer Weis Lipsticks here.
Well, that's a wrap on what I'm digging for natural lipstick color! What are yours? Do tell and leave me a comment!