Sharing the best natural body oil products in this post! I've been testing and testing for quite some time and I've rounded out the best of the best when it comes to natural body oil products. I have luxe options as well as some budget friendly options that won't break the bank. Before we dive into my top recommendations I wanted to share the importance of choosing a natural body oil.
Often people assume a body oil contains just a few random natural oils and there isn't much to be concerned about. It's true that a body oil contains much simpler ingredients than a body lotion. A body oil doesn't typically require a preservative because it doesn't contain water. However, some companies might include a preservative in the oil when it's diluted with water. This is a red flag in my opinion when you see water in a body oil as it's not a true oil moisturizer and usually is a cheaper body oil that's trying to cut corners. When you add water to formulas it poses the risk of bacteria growing that is why you see preservatives always in a body lotion, more than a body oil since body lotions contain water. Unless you're actively reading the labels of all your products, body oil can actually contain a list of harmful ingredients you don't want to be slathering on your body everyday.
For me that's where the real harm comes in. The consistency in which you use a product. When you're using a body oil everyday, the toxic load can build up. This can have a big impact on your overall health if you're not careful. Since body oil and body lotion is applied on a large portion of our bodies, the exposure can be that much greater due to the surface area. Add that in with how a body oil is applied everyday and you've got a recipe for harmful chemicals to build up.
According to the CDC:
Dermal absorption is the transport of a chemical from the outer surface of the skin both into the skin and into the body. Studies show that absorption of chemicals through the skin can occur without being noticed by the worker, and in some cases, may represent the most significant exposure pathway. -CDC
I think we often think about exposure in terms of food or even cleaning chemicals, but not the everyday products we put on our skin- like body oil. This can present a problem as these are the products we are literally touching with are hands and applying to our bodies everyday. As you can see, the importance of reading labels becomes even more important when it comes to our beauty products.
You may have heard the quote:
Your skin absorbs 60% of whatever we put on it.
Some say it's not exactly 60% others say more. Whatever exact number it is, we know one thing is for sure, our body does absorb some of what we put on it. There have even been studies done on the umbilical cords of newborn babies that have found over 200 harmful pollutants and chemicals in the umbilical cord according to the Environmental Working Group.
In a study spearheaded by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) in collaboration with Commonweal, researchers at two major laboratories found an average of 200 industrial chemicals and pollutants in umbilical cord blood from 10 babies born in August and September of 2004 in U.S. hospitals. Tests revealed a total of 287 chemicals in the group. The umbilical cord blood of these 10 children, collected by Red Cross after the cord was cut, harbored pesticides, consumer product ingredients, and wastes from burning coal, gasoline, and garbage. -EWG
Are bells going off in your head? Did you see where they found consumer product ingredients in the umbilical cord? Pretty crazy. That means not only did the products the mother applied to your body, cross her skin, but all the way into the umbilical cord. There are many chemicals made today that are specifically put in a product because it helps other ingredients penetrate even further into your skin. Let's deep dive into some of the ingredients you don't want to see in your body oil or body lotion.
Ingredients to avoid in body oil-
- Parabens-(This includes methyl-, propyl- ethyl-,butyl-) Pretty common in most skincare products. Hormone disruptor also known as endocrine disruptor. Has been found in breast cancer tumors, may cause male infertility and early puberty. They are added to body lotions to help preserve the product.
- Petroleum/Mineral Oil- Reports they are cancer-causing. Can be found in body oil products and lotions. Can cause skin irritation from rashes and has been linked to cancer.
- Fragrance- Can cause photo-toxic reactions and can be photo-allergic. Skin irritant, and has been known as a neurotoxin. Can really be found in anything if you don’t read the label but especially common in body oil and lotion. This word alone can contain up to 700 chemicals. The FDA doesn't regulate it, all they ask is that companies list fragrance. With fragrance also comes phthalates
- Propylene Glycol & PEG’s-(This includes -4, -6, -8…etc) Has been found to be contaminated with 1, 4 dioxane, which is cancer causing. Can cause acne, skin irritant. This ingredient actually helps other ingredients penetrate your skin more. So not only are you getting exposed to this harmful chemical but you're also helping other harmful chemicals dive deeper into your skin!
- BHA & BHT– Are known hormone disruptors, carcinogen, and have been linked to liver damage. They are in body oil products or lotion to preserve the product.
- Canola Oil- Now this might not be toxic to your body topically but most canola oil produced is genetically modified(GMO) and is inflammatory when ingested. I've seen this on so called natural brands. If you see this on a label be weary of a company. This is cheap way to produce a body oil. Who wants to be rubbing GMO's all over their skin? Not me!
- Stearalkonium Chloride– Reproductive toxicity, potential negative effects on the nervous system and cause irritation to the skin and eyes.
- FD&C Dyes(artificial dyes)- This is a little bit of a grey area. I wanted to address it because I've actually seen artificial dyes in body products and it concerns me. I do use some products with artificial dyes, however it's only with makeup- a body lotion does not need color! But again it’s important to know the sourcing and to consider the amount. Many makeup colors cannot be made without the use of synthetic colors. The amount in most formulations is literally less than 1%- if you think of how big a tube of lipstick is that means the formulation contains less than 1% of synthetic color. I’m ok with a little synthetic color. I know some people aren’t. You have to make that decision for yourself. I wanted to bring it up because I don’t want to be rubbing synthetic dyes over my whole body- there's no need. The reason it’s in makeup is because it serves a purpose.
Body Oil Vs. Body Lotion + Application-
Now you might wonder why you should use a body oil over a body lotion, or what the difference is? Allow me to explain. A body oil is similar to what are own skin naturally produces to hydrate our skin. It basically mimics our own skin oils, so as we apply body oils to our skin. An oil is best after you shower and your skin is still slightly damp. It will help lock in moisture and really seal it in. If water isn't on your skin when you apply an oil it will likely sit on top of the skin and feel greasy. That's why it's important to add an oil to slightly damp skin. Also, be sure you're not using too much! Often people complain of greasy skin after applying a body oil but it's because they've applied too much. A little goes a long way when using a body oil.
A lotion is going to penetrate the skin deeper because of the water content in them. As they go deeper into the skin they are able to bring other nutrients with them. It really comes down to personal preference on whether you prefer a body oil or body lotion. I like using a combination of both.
Also, different oils are meant to do different things for the skin. Some absorb more easily, others can take a little more time. Bottom line is not every oil is created equal. Body oils can also be very relaxing and calming too. Many of them contain essential oils that help to calm and soothe the skin. A body oil can also repair the skin too. Many oils are known for helping to fade hyperpigmentation, stretch marks and redness. Body oils can also be used as a natural perfume. Many of them contain essential oils and as the essential oils are diffused in the oil it really prolongs their scent, compared to if the essential oils were by themselves. This is one of my favorite ways to add a little scent to myself without spritzing on a traditional perfume. It is lighter overall.
Best Body Oils For Skin-
What are the best body oils for your skin? I get this question a lot. There are definitely some oils that are made specifically for the skin.
- Jojoba Oil- This oil is so similar to our bodies own oils that it's a perfect skincare oil. A very hydrating oil, plus it contains Vitamin E too. This oil is also non-comedogenic so it's not going to clog your pores.
- Rosehip Oil- This oil is naturally very soothing. It contains both Vitamins C and A. It helps reduce redness, help fight sun damage, and brightens skin.
- Argan Oil- Known for evening oil skin tone, hydrating, help improve overall elasticity. Good for stretch marks and scars.
- Sesame Oil- It's anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, also an oil filled with antioxidants. Vitamin E is rich in sesame oil which can help with free radical damage from environmental factors.
- Avocado Oil- Rich in chlorophyll which naturally brightens the skin. Very hydrating and helps relieve inflammation. Also, can speed up wound healing.
- Olive Oil- Great for sensitive skin. It is rich in fatty acids, it is a natural humectant that draws moisture to your skin. Contains antioxidants Vitamin E and K.
- Sunflower Seed Oil- Contains stearic acids which are great for toning and tightening the skin. Great for sensitive skin and very hydrating.
- Almond Oil- Has Vitamins, A, E and B which help to help to seal moisture into the skin. Very hydrating and nourishing oil. It also is anti-inflammatory and can help reduce puffiness around the eye area. Also, great for skin tone.
- Macademia Nut Oil- A great rich oil that doesn't feel greasy, melts right into the skin. Also, anti-inflammatory. It has linoleic acid in it which helps to restore skin's barrier function.
I've rounded out my favorite natural body oil products for you! After years of testing out so many formulas I've put together my favorite body oils, so you can be sure to find one you love. I have many different formulas, with different oils in them. Check out the list below to find your new fave!
Natural Body Oil Products
This is definitely one of my very favorites. I've gone through several bottles and I'm always sad when it's gone. If you're into luxe products then you need to snag some Osmia Night Body Oil. A blend of lavender, chamomile and cedar wood overtake your senses. It's meant to be applied after you shower on damp skin and at night. The combination of the essential oils help you drift off into a blissful sleep. With a combination of almond oil, jojoba, rosehip seed oil and hemp- to name a few, this oil will take your skin to a new level of hydration and tone in a couple weeks. I can't get enough! I also love how they have small bottle- perfect for travel. If you prefer to have an essential oil free body oil, check out their Naked version. Equally delectable but free of any scent but the oils. Get them here.
This body oil smells heavenly. I apply it right after the shower and it soaks right into my skin. The moisture lasts too! My skin feels hydrated throughout the day. Did I mention the packaging? Dark glass pump bottle-swoon worthy. I do love that it comes in a dark glass bottle as it protects the oils from light. I’ve been using this non-stop and can’t get enough. I love how I smell afterwards, a mixture of rose and neroli, but not strong at all. This oil really contains ALL the things! From essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamins- it helps to protect, hydrate and tone your skin all at once. Get it here.
I’m obsessed with this body oil! It literally is so luxurious. It smells like sandalwood, cedarwood and orange. I love how it comes in a pump form- easy application. It is filled with so many antioxidants and fatty acids that make this a power packed oil, while at the same time a very nourishing and hydrating oil. But get this- it doesn’t feel greasy, not at all! It glides on your skin effortlessly but doesn’t leave that slimy feeling. Once you try it, you’ll be hooked! A great natural perfume too. Grab it here!
Can I be honest, I really thought I had tried all the body oils/lotions out there…then I tried this body wax by Khus+Khus and I was quickly mistaken. This isn't like a typical liquid oil, but comes in a wax form that melts into an oil when applied to the skin. I love the texture! First off it smells amazing. I’m not into super fragrant products and this product is the perfect balance(I tried the Bleu Body Wax). With ingredients of blue tansy, and blue yarrow this wax is perfect for helping with inflamed skin, as both are anti-inflammatory. The Blue Tansy is especially great for bringing relief to tired sore muscles, strains, etc. If you have eczema or irritated skin, this is a great way to soothe your skin. A little goes a long way. It instantly absorbs into your skin, no greasy feeling and leaves you hydrated the whole day. I have to say the wax is really more of an experience from start to finish. It awakens me in the morning and soothes me at night. I can’t get enough! Plus, can we talk about the luxe packaging? It’s housed in a dark glass jar. Get it here.
This is another product from Khus Khus and smells amazing! I love Blue Tansy if you can't tell. An amazing oil that really helps to calm and soothe the skin. This soaks right into the skin and leave my skin feeling hydrated for days! It makes me feel overall calmer when I use it too. Blue Tansy just has that affect on me. I can't get enough of it. It feels very rich, especially great if you have very dry skin and it's sensitive or prone to redness. This will help to calm and soothe it. Get it here.
It’s a body oil, but it’s hard to even call it “just” a body oil. It really is something so much more. The ingredients include some of the best organic oils. From argan, rosehip, marula and magnolia, just to name a few. The oil is thicker in consistency but not greasy feeling at all. It goes on smooth and doesn’t leave a weird residue. Your skin feels perfectly hydrated and not wet feeling. I have to tell you about the smell-so wonderful! With notes of jasmine, geranium, and rose that literally awaken your senses and uplift you. I've done through two bottles. It's so good! A serious skin luxury. Get it here.
This is actually one of the very first organic oils I ever bought when transitioning to natural beauty over 10 years ago. It isn’t expensive yet it does the job and does it well. With one singular oil, it isn't complicated, but a simple oil that leaves your skin feeling hydrated and not greasy. Jojoba oil is such a great oil to use on the skin too, as it’s the closest oil to what your skin naturally produces. What makes this jojoba oil great too is it’s cold pressed, so they’re not using heat to extract it, so the oil is left intact. Better yet you can get it from Amazon! Get it here.
I started using this after my third baby and let's just say I noticed a difference after using it! Any other mamas want a little firming action post baby? Yeah, me too. Marula oil is known for it's tightening and firming abilities. This marula oil is wild harvested and then cold-pressed, keeping the oil intact. The combination of the marula oil, plus the pinotage grapeseed oil gives your skin a serious dose of skin firming help by addressing skin dryness, aging, slackness and elasticity. It's a one-two punch for your skin! I applied this after showering while my skin was still damp and massaged in circular motions. It really helped to plump up my skin, but didn't feel greasy. This would be a great gift for any new mom! Get it here.
It wouldn’t be right not to include this product in the best body oil, even though it's technically not a body oil! Obsessed with it! They actually call it a body serum. In my mind it's a cross between a body oil and a lotion- it's like a creamy lotion/oil. Whatever, you want to call it, it's so good. I was introduced to the brand in a Beauty Heroes box this year and fell in love with the product. For a beauty blogger to go through a product you know it’s a big deal! I literally am currently scraping the bottom of the bottle- it’s that good. I love how it comes in a glass pump bottle, makes it so easy for application. I also love how it smells. Such a light scent, nothing overwhelming. Plus, it has antioxidants that help to protect your skin. The overall feel is so lightweight. It absorbs instantly into the skin and doesn’t leave behind a greasy residue. I want another bottle stat! If you’re looking for a new body lotion- this is it. Get it here!
This body oil is full of antioxidants! It has Undaria seaweed which is then mixed with a ton of skin loving oils like açaí, babassu and passion fruit. This combination helps to smooth and firm skin from stretch marks, as well as tone your skin. It doesn't feel too heavy or greasy. It absorbs nicely into the skin. The Algae alone is soaked in barrels for 6 months in order to extract all the rich vitamins and minerals from it. It's basically a living oil that transforms and treats your skin! It feels very energizing too with an overall citrus scent. Great for in the morning after your shower and you want a little zesty pick me up! Get it here.
This body serum is unlike any body serum I've used in the past. It is filled with superpower ingredients from argan, jojoba, rosehip, rose, sandalwood and so many more. It doesn’t feel greasy when applied! I repeat doesn’t feel greasy when applied. Not only does it help to restore moisture balance but it also helps to tone and firm the skin with caffeine and theobromine. I love that the scent isn’t too powerful. You get notes of rose mainly with hints of sandalwood mixed in. Your skin will feel all kinds of soft when using this after you shower! Get it here.
This oil is a newer find for me. It comes in plastic, which I'm not crazy about but I do like the oil and the price isn't as steep as the others. A nice option, especially on a budget or if you're traveling and don't want to take glass. It also comes in a spray form which I love. It feels light on the skin and absorbs quickly. I like the scent, a mixture of citrus, twig and cardamom, it is a great scent for wearing as a natural perfume. It really lingers and makes me feel fresh all day. It has blend of macadamia, jojoba and grapeseed oils. Taking your skin's hydration to the next level! A great morning oil after you shower to wake you up and get you smelling fresh! Get it here.
I hoped this help you find a natural body oil that you love!
If you liked this post, check out past posts below: