How many times have you looked in the mirror, and thought, “wow, I look tired”? When a few strategic dabs of highlighter, or concealer aren’t enough to lift and brighten your face, it may be time for facial cupping.
Yes, facial cupping. Consider it a DIY facial or a non-surgical face lift.
*Affiliate Disclosure: I do have affiliate links in this blog post. If you purchase something from my link, I will receive a small commission from the sale. This comes at no cost to you, but is paid by the company. I do not take becoming an affiliate with any company lightly. If I am, it’s because I believe in the company and their product.
*Suzi(Gurl Gone Green) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
What Is Facial Cupping?
Facial cupping is inspired by traditional Chinese medicine and is an adaptation of body cupping, which has been used for centuries to treat various ailments. Facial cupping is a facial treatment that uses suction cups (as the name implies) to increase blood circulation and brighten and tighten for a healthy glow.
Science Behind Facial Cupping
The suction and gentle gliding of the cups across the skin is believed to increase blood circulation, lymphatic drainage, collagen production and muscle relaxation.
During the suction process, the layers of the skin get separated, allowing for increased blood flow to the affected or micro-traumatized area. The blood is rich in oxygen and nutrients to support skin repair. This oxygenated and nutrient rich blood can create a smoother and brighter complexion.
Related Content: Frownies Review- Do They Really Work?!
What Are The Benefits Of Facial Cupping
While the mechanism of action for cupping is still being studied, six theories have been suggested to explain the effects produced by cupping therapy.1
- Improves micro circulation – Cupping dilates the blood vessels in the face through the release of vasodilators such as adenosine, noradrenaline, and histamine, which lead to increased blood circulation. 2
- Supports collagen production – Cupping increases blood flow to the muscles in the face, which can stimulate collagen and elastin production.
- Brightens skin – Cupping encourages the creation of new blood cells which can enhance your features and give you a healthy glow.
- Can improve skin problems – Cupping is a helpful procedure in treating skin conditions such as acne and eczema.3
- Helps tighten and firm the skin – Cupping if done in upward strokes, can help tighten and lift the skin.
- Minimizes the appearance of pores – Cupping can be effective at opening up pores, allowing them to breathe and repair through absorption of serums and other facial products.
- Minimizes the appearance of imperfections such as scars, fine lines and wrinkles – Cupping improves circulation of blood and oxygen, providing an anti-aging effect.
- Reduces puffiness – Cupping helps to move lymph and clear toxins from the face, thus reducing puffiness.
- Helps to reduce muscle tension.
- Can help clear sinuses and sinus pressure.
Step By Step Guide: How To Do Facial Cupping
For any facial cupping session you want to have a few tools on hands.
- An oil- This helps to provide some slip for the cups to glide over. I love this oil. Works for so many skin types and is only one ingredient.
- Facial Cups- I like these facial cups. They are relatively easy to find and affordable. You just want to make sure you have a large cup and a small cup.
Step By Step Process
- Wash your face so you start with a clean slate.
- Apply a facial oil or oil-based serum and massage into your face, neck, and chest area so that the cups can glide smoothly across your skin. The massage relaxes the muscles and improves circulation.
- Start with the smallest cup as it allows for a more precise suction and can ease your skin into the sensation of cupping. At any point, you can swap out the cups for a different size, depending on what area of the face you are cupping.
- It’s important to lightly suction and keep the suction to about 3 seconds, otherwise you run the risk of bruising.
- Place the opening of the cup at the base of your neck by your collarbone, squeeze the end of the cup, then release.
- Continue to work out and up a few times on both sides of your collarbone before moving the cup up to the jawline. Take extra precaution on your neck and avoid any sliding or gliding, just gently squeeze and release.
- From the chin, glide upward along the jawline toward the ear. Repeat this motion a few times.
- Then move along your cheeks, then to your forehead. Repeat this motion a few times.
- From the center of your forehead, move the cup outward towards the side of your ear. Repeat this motion a few times.
- Repeat on both sides of the face.
- When finished, you can wash your face and continue with a gentle skincare routine.
Related Content: Best Organic Skincare For Anti-Aging
Watch My Full Facial Cupping Tutorial Here:
Facial Cupping Precautions
If you have any concerns about facial cupping, consult a medical professional for guidance.
Facial cupping is not recommended for:
- Children or the elderly.
- During pregnancy, breastfeeding or menses.
- If you have a cardiovascular condition, open wound, an active breakout, cancer, hemophelia, or a pacemaker. Facial cupping can also increase the risk of infection and in some people may cause nausea and dizziness. It may also cause some bruising and inflammation.
Facial Cupping FAQ’s
How often should you do face cupping?
You should try to cup 1-3 times a week but aim for at least once a week. Consistency is necessary for the results to manifest!
How long does it take to see results from facial cupping?
Many people who have tried facial cupping notice marked improvement in 2-3 weeks. However, you can see results after your first cupping session. That post cupping glow is a real thing!
Are there any skincare products to avoid post-cupping?
With the skin being tender and a little inflamed, we don’t want to exacerbate it with exfoliating or abrasive products after cupping.
What time of day is best for facial cupping?
Many people incorporate facial cupping into their nighttime routine as a way to relax the face. It’s also best to cup at night because after your skin is nourished, it has time to repair and restore itself while you sleep.
Conclusion: Is Facial Cupping Worth Doing?
Facial cupping is absolutely worth it! It’s a natural way to boost collagen and minimize wrinkles as well as move your lymphatic system. It can help minimize puffiness, muscle tension, improve circulation and give you a facelift! I have been so impressed with all the benefits of facial cupping.
Have you tried facial cupping? Share your thoughts in the comments!
If you liked this post, check out these past posts:
- Solawave Wand Review: Does It Really Work?
- Benefits of a Rose Quartz Facial Roller
- Wildling Empress Gua Sha Stone: How To Use It
- J Tradit Complement Med. (2019) The medical perspective of cupping therapy: Effects and mechanisms of action
- Biomed Opt Express (2020) Photoacoustic imaging of microenvironmental changes in facial cupping therapy
- Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Pannonica Adriat. (2018) Cupping in dermatology: a critical review and update