So excited to share with you 3 brands that simplify natural living. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when detoxing your life. Trust me I get it! But it doesn’t have to be. I like to break natural living into three categories. The food we eat, the beauty products we use and household products. These are some heavy hitters when it comes to toxic load. Getting these detoxed is definitely a priority! But where do you start? What brands do you trust and what is effective.
Check out how to enter the GIVEAWAY happening in honor of my new website launch at the bottom of this post!
No worries, I got your back! I’ve rounded out my top picks for where to get clean food for budget options, where to buy beauty products all in one place and what to use for your household products. I’ve simplified the process for you! These are tried and true and have worked not only for me but many of my peers and friends.
After all, detoxing your life shouldn’t feel like work but it should be exciting and fun! I mean who wants toxins lurking in their food, house or beauty products? I know you don’t!
Here’s the skinny on 3 brands that always deliver-
Find the best in green beauty at The Detox Market!
This was the very first green beauty store I shopped at. I still remember angels singing when I visited the actual store in L.A. Ok, maybe angels weren’t singing but it felt like I had arrived in green beauty heaven! They have ALL the brands and more. You want some Josh Rosebrook- they’ve got you covered. Need some Osmia Organics in your life, sister they have it. Want some Odacite? No problem- they have the whole line. It’s your one stop shop for all things natural beauty! They have a list of ingredient standards, which lists ingredients they don’t allow in their formulations, so you can be sure your products are squeaky clean.
I remember hearing about their pop up shop in 2010- I was salivating to go! It was at the same time I had started to detox my beauty products. It’s so crazy to think where The Detox Market is today! There’s so many natural options, compared to 8 years ago. I love their mission on educating the consumer and bringing awareness. Forever a Detox Market fan!
Some Favorites At Detox-
Find all your favorite clean eating and organic food pantry staples at Vitacost.
I started using Vitacost for over a year now and let’s just say I haven’t looked back! If you haven’t heard of Vitacost allow me to bring you up to speed. Vitacost is your one stop shop for all healthy and clean dry goods. Think pantry staples! Plus, they have some great household items too. I love stocking up on all my favorite natural brands through Vitacost. I save so much money when I purchase them there. Plus, they’re always offering some sort of coupon code to save even more through email.
I’ve been so impressed with their customer service, and timely delivery of my orders. I place an order a month and I never have had any broken or damaged items. I used to shop at other online retailers and I had several products break constantly. They carry all my favorite natural brands. I also love that I don’t have to pay a yearly membership to receive the discounts.
Some Favorites At Vitacost-
Branch Basics makes simple and clean household products that are effective.
I have fallen for this brand! I started to try all their products 6 months ago and have loved each one! They make detoxing your cleaning and household products so easy and simple! From the cleaner you use to clean your counters, bathrooms, laundry detergent and windows. It doesn’t need to be toxic to clean! Their whole mission on why they started is so cool. Each founder had their own awakening moment that made them realize the impact our environments have on our lives. Read all about the founder and their journey’s here!
Branch Basics products are based off their concentrate- which is made from plant and mineral based. I love how simple it is. You basically can remove all your cleaning products with one product- their concentrate. They give you the bottles to easily make window cleaner from it, countertop cleaner, laundry detergent, bathroom cleaner and even hand wash! It is hypo-allergenic, peanut free, gluten free, fragrance free, and contains no toxic stabilizers, preservatives, brighteners or surfactants. It removes grease, dirt, dust and grime. They’ve made the whole process so simple for people to transition from toxic household cleaners to non-toxic. Can’t recommend them enough!
Some Favorites At Branch Basics-
- Concentrate- This is the plant and mineral based cleaner that does it all!
- Oxygen Booster- Helps to create an abrasive when added to tubs, toilets or sinks. I also like adding it to heavily soiled laundry for a boost.
- Trial Kit- Great to try before buying a large bottle or kit!
- Mini All Purpose Spray Bottle- Perfect for traveling or on the go.
- Starter Kits- These give you everything you need to completely overhaul your household cleaning products and start with nontoxic products.
Shop Branch Basics here!
Have you tried any of these brands? What brand has helped you in detoxing your life? Leave me a comment and let me know!
So in honor of my new website launch, I’ve teamed up with all three of my favorite natural lifestyle brands to bring you the ultimate giveaway!
- The Detox Market is giving away $100 gift card
- Vitacost is giving away $150 gift card
- Branch Basics is giving away $100 gift card
You will be set with this giveaway loot! From clean beauty, organic food and natural household cleaners, detoxing your life just got so easy!
Here’s how to enter:
- Comment below sharing what the biggest struggle is for you when detoxing your life? Whether it’s beauty, food or household products. Make sure you leave your email so I can contact you if you win.
- Repost my Instagram photo where I share the details of my new website for 10 extra entries. My Instagram is here.
I’ve got the lowdown on all the Black Friday/Cyber Monday natural holiday gifts! You want sales- I’ve got them! From green beauty, and natural living- I’ve got you covered. This is the time to invest in some serious natural loot.
I’ve listed out the best sales happening as well as some of my favorite picks from each of the sites.
All the best deals in Natural and Organic Beauty for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Beautycounter- 15% off sitewide through the 26th + free shipping over $50!
Shop Beautcounter here!
True Botanicals- 20% off + $10 for every $50 you spend! Use code: ONCEAYEAR. Starts Friday Nov. 23- Monday Nov. 26. I mean this only happens once a year people- stock up! I can’t live without the Antioxidant Booster and Cellular Repair Serum.
- Antioxidant Booster- Got fine lines, sun spots? This is for you. It helps to give your skin all the nutrients it needs to repair itself!
- Cellular Repair Serum- This serum is my go too! It’s full of antioxidants. I mix it with the Antioxidant Booster- your skin will thank you.
- Aromatherapy Collection- This just dropped a month or so ago and it’s amazing! They have 3 different scents all made with essential oils.
Shop True Botanicals here!
The Detox Market- $10 off $100, $30 off $200+ get a free Maya Chia Gift, $80 off $400+get a free Maya Chia Gift and The Detox Market Gift
Shop The Detox Market Here!
Aillea- 20% off sitewide from Nov. 22-26. Use code: cheersaillea
Shop Aillea here!
Pharmaca- Not sure but word on the street it will be at least 20%! They also have free shipping over $40!
- Vapour Beauty- Love their Multi- Use sticks for lips and cheeks
- RMS- Love their Un- CoverUp. I wear shade #22.
- Inika Beauty- Love their liquid foundation, bronzer, eyeshadows.
Shop Pharmaca here!
Find all the best in natural beauty and organic living.
Live Botanical- 25% off now until Cyber Monday! Use PLANTS25.
Shop Live Botanical here!
Leahlani- They hardly ever have sales- so stock up! ALOHAFRIDAY- 20% off individual items in the shop. Sales starts Black Friday and ends on Sunday. Haven’t heard about Cyber Monday?
Shop Leahlani here!
Osmia- 20% off sitewide on Cyber Monday! They hardly ever have sales- so get on this.
- Body Soaps- These soaps are the best! I talk about them a lot, for good reason. I love their coffee mint!
- Night Body Oil- Want a seriously luxurious body oil? Then snag this.
- Black Clay Facial Soap- This soap I’m pretty sure has won awards- everyone loves it.
Shop Osmia here!
Kosmatology- My fave hand soaps! 30% off using coupon code: CLEANFRIDAY. Cyber Monday is 20% off, plus free shipping on orders over $25. Use code: CYBER.
Shop Kosmatology here!
Root- Love this brand! Buy one, get one 50% off. Starts Thursday- Saturday. Not valid on sample sizes, kits, diffusers, Dr. Brite, gift sets or eyeshadow palettes.
- Pearl Powder- I talk about this powder a lot- My fave powder foundation. I wear G35.
- Pretty Balms- These pretty balms give just a hint of color. Great stocking stuffer!
- Pretty Booster- Great liquid foundation!
Shop Root here!
Laurel- 20% off! They never have sales- so stock up! Use coupon code: THANKFUL. Orders over $100 receive free shipping. Starts Black Friday- Cyber Monday.
Shop Laurel here!
Natural Beauty Boxes-
Boxwalla- An amazing green beauty box! Free shipping on any product worldwide with purchase of Angela Roi Vegan Handbag. Use code: launchship. Once you make your purchase you will get a 20% off coupon for any future order. Excludes, 2 cycle, 3 cycle and 6 cycle boxes.
Shop Boxwalla here!
Beauty Heroes- 15% off sitewide from Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday in their Beauty Store. Use Code: LIKEAMEMBER.
Shop Beauty Heroes here!
Art of Organics- Deals run from Black Friday-
- Wed. 11/28. Spend up to $75 get 15% off- THANKS15, Spend $75 + get 20% off- THANKS20, Spend $250 + get 25% off- THANKS25.
- 15% off all subscriptions- AOFAMILY (This applies to the 1st payment for the 1st billing cycle. All subsequent auto-renewing charges will process at the regular non-discounted price).
Shop Art of Organics here!
Berkey Water Filter– This is the water filter I’ve had for over 6 years- filters it all out! They’re having sales on their bundles! Check out their website to see all the details!
Shop Berkey here!
Almond Cow- This is my favorite way to make nut milk! It makes it so easy! Does it all for you. This sale is for Cyber Monday. $50 off the regular price. Shop Almond Cow here!
Xtrema Cookware- This is my favorite way to cook! All ceramic- makes it so easy. Love knowing that I’m using non-toxic options.
- 11/22/2018 – 11/22/2018 Enjoy! 20% Off Or MORE EVERYTHING SITEWIDE! Special Web-Buster Deals! Free Shipping Over $100!
- 11/24/2018 – 11/24/2018 Small Business Saturday! 20% Off Or MORE EVERYTHING SITEWIDE! Use Code THANKS10 For An Extra 10% Off! Free Shipping Over $100!
- 11/25/2018 – 11/25/2018 Cyber Monday Comes on Sunday! 25% Off Or MORE EVERYTHING SITEWIDE! Special Web-Buster Deals! Free Shipping Over $100!
- 11/26/2018 – 11/26/2018 Cyber Monday! 25% Off Or MORE EVERYTHING SITEWIDE! Special Web-Buster Deals! Free Shipping Over $100!
- 11/27/2018 – 11/27/2018 Giving Tuesday! 25% Off Or MORE EVERYTHING SITEWIDE! 10% Off Sales Donated To Cure International!
- 11/28/2018 – 11/30/2018 Cyber Week Sale! 20% OFF EVERYTHING! Plus Bonus Deals!
Shop Xtrema here!
Sol Organix Organic Sheets- Friday18 for 30% off orders. Thanksgiving day- Cyber Monday.
- Love their percale sheets and sateen sheets!
Shop SOL Organix here!
Huut Organic Bedding- These Egyptian organic sheets are amazing! Use code Friday18 for 30% off Thanksgiving- Cyber Monday.
- We have the king Egyptian sheet set and love it!
Shop Huut Sheets here!
White Lotus Home Organic Pillows and Organic Mattresses- Use coupon code: VIP to get 35% off the entire white lotus home collection. From mattresses, toppers, pillows, duvets and sheets. $100 minimum order, excludes furniture, Coyuchi and fibers.
- We have their twin size organic mattress for my 4 year old!
- We all have their pillows and love them!
Shop White Lotus Home Here!
See anything you love? What are you getting this year? Also, don’t forget to download my Natural Christmas Guides! I have so many more options from green beauty, natural skincare, natural men, organic baby/child, clean living and more. Check them out below!
Find all the best in natural beauty and organic living.
In honor of my birthday I thought I would share with you 34 natural products that changed my life. I really thought long and hard about these and wanted to give you products that truly made the cut for me. I’ve been on the this real food journey for 10+years, this natural beauty journey for 8 years and creating a nontoxic home for 2 years. It’s totally a journey but one that is doable! Remember it’s not a sprint but a marathon. Keep your sanity and slowly detox your life.
34 Natural Products That Changed My Life-
- Berkey Water Filter- I got a Berkley water filter for my home 7 years ago and I haven’t looked back. After learning what’s in our drinking water I knew I needed to get a water filter. The average drinking water can contain pharmaceutical drugs, fluoride, chlorine, heavy metals- just to name a few. Berkey is not only filters out all the nasties but also is pretty affordable. You can choose what size you need depending on your family. Get one here!
- Doterra On Guard Essential Oil- This essential oil was introduced to me by my friend Steph Duford. I’m beyond grateful for it now! I use it as a cleaner in my house to kill bacteria and parasites. Many natural cleaners don’t kill parasites. But On Guard does! I make my own DIY cleaner with it and my house is so clean. I fill a squirt bottle- (the size of a normal apple cider vinegar bottle). Get On Guard here!
- Kiddobloom- Love these stainless steel eating trays and utensils for kids. They aren’t plastic and don’t leach chemicals! The silverware is rounded at the edges, so really great for kids. They even have the cutest mugs. Shop Kiddobloom here!
- Kosas Lipstick- These lipsticks are my fave in natural beauty! They offer a ton of color options, are highly pigmented and last. Plus, they’re hydrating. Trust me, you’ll be hooked in no time. Some favorite colors I love are Thrillest, Royal, and Rosewater. Snag a lipstick here!
- Josh Rosebrook Hairspray- If you’ve been transitioning to natural beauty for a hot minute then you know finding a natural hair spray can often feel like a daunting task. Well, I’ve literally tried them all and the only one that meets my standards is Josh Rosebrook. Get it here and thank me later!
- Live Botanical Luna Rose and Honey Mask + Cleanser- Basically my holy grail when it comes to morning routine. I apply this to my face, while I brush my teeth and 5 minutes later I’m left with skin that glows. It’s magic in a jar! Plus, so budget friendly. Use my coupon code: GURLGONEGREEN for 20%! Snag one here!
- Pharmaca- Oh Pharmaca how I love you! So as many of you know I’m an esthetician. Well, I worked as an esthetician at Pharmaca years ago. I loved it! For those who don’t know what Pharmaca is, allow me to explain. It’s your one stop shop when it comes to living a natural lifestyle. They have natural supplements, natural beauty products and natural baby products. There’s really not much you can’t find at Pharmaca. I love how I can find everything in one spot, but I also love how Pharmaca is constantly having sales! It’s kind of amazing. They are usually offering 20% off all the time, which means more money in my wallet! Shop all of Pharmaca here!
- Elite Fuel Iron- This iron literally changed my life. My iron depletion was severely low in the summer. So much so that after workouts I would feel dizzy. I knew something was up. After having my blood drawn I saw that my levels were crazy low. My naturopath recommended this specific iron supplement. It had been shown to increase iron absorption much faster. Usually if you take an iron supplement it takes a while to build up storage again. I noticed a difference after a couple weeks! Can’t recommend it enough!
- Naturpedic Organic Mattress- Sleeping on an organic mattress is pretty life changing. The amount of toxins in conventional mattresses is pretty disheartening. Since we sleep a 1/3 of our lives. It’s important to know what your sleeping on and what your body is absorbing. My husband and I have LOVED our naturpedic mattress! It’s seriously so comfortable. This is the naturpedic mattress we have!
- White Lotus Home Pillows- Finding organic pillows that my husband, myself and kids love has been no small task. But thanks to White Lotus Home- it’s been so easy! My husband literally won’t stop talking about his shredded latex pillow- he loves it. My kids and I love our Kapok Pillows. They offer such great customer service, can help you figure out which pillow is best and offer so many varieties depending on your pillow needs. Check out all their pillow options here!
- SOL Organic Sheets– These sheets are a game changer! They’re soft, and not filled with toxins. I love that they offer several options depending on what you like. They’re luxury sheets but at affordable prices. Check out the sheets here!
- Fitglow Beauty Lip Serums- Say hello to your new favorite lip serum- but for real! These are my favorite lip glosses in green beauty. I hadn’t found a favorite until I used these. Now I can’t go back! They aren’t sticky, or goopy like you might think. They are so smooth, hydrating and nourishing. The founder actually made them to act like a lip serum for the lips that is filled with antioxidants and vitamins. Check out all the lip colors here!
- Crunchi Foundation Brush- This foundation brush is EVERYTHING! It’s so soft, love that it has a flat top and is vegan. I know it sounds funny but when it comes to foundation brushes this brush takes the cake! Get yours here!
- Blendtec Blender- Yep, a quality high speed blender changes lives. I’ve had my Blendtec Blender now for over 4 years and I can’t recommend it enough. I love that it gets my smoothies so smooth, and can make nut butters. It gets used at least once a day if not twice. Check it out here!
- Cuisinart Food Processor- I didn’t get a food processor until this last year and I’m kind of kicking myself that I waited this long. It’s seriously SO amazing! I use it for my raw veggie bread, kale chip recipes, protein balls, granola bars- the list is endless! This is the one I have!
- Vitacost- where do I even start with Vitacost?! I love this online health food store. It has all my favorite natural products for food and living but at a fraction of the cost. Plus, they’re always offering coupon codes! I can’t recommend them enough! Shop Vitacost here!
- If you care parchment paper- I know how has a parchment paper changed my life- well it has, allow me to explain. Parchment paper can actually be really toxic. It’s bleached and can contain many toxic chemicals. Things that you don’t want in your food and eventually in your body. In comes If You Care Parchment Paper- it’s unbleached, and nontoxic. So basically you can have your cake and eat it too! I love using parchment paper everyday for cooking. It makes cleaning after cooking so easy! Get your parchment paper here!
- Body Love Book- This book really opened my eyes to how our bodies process sugar, carbs, protein, fats, etc. If you’re wondering why you’re feeling low on energy, can’t lose the weight, or other health issues- check this book out. She breaks it down so simply! Get your book here!
- Honest Beauty Mascara- This mascara is my FAVE in natural beauty! It works like no other mascara and stays put. Plus, you can get it from Amazon for $14.99! Grab one for yourself and a friend here!
- Reusable Water Bottle- I don’t think I need to explain why this is such a life changer but I’ll give you a brief overview. Plastic bottles aren’t going away and the more we stop using them, the more change we can create. Plastic contains a host of problems in our bodies too. Have you ever drank out of a plastic water bottle? You can literally taste the plastic! Grab a reusable water bottle and change your life and the environment!
- Raw veggie Bread Ebook- I love raw veggie bread. Sounds weird but it literally has changed the way I eat and consume veggies. I dabbled in raw veggie bread here and there but didn’t start consistently making it until 2018. Wow, what a difference that made! My hubs is addicted and so am I. Imagine consuming a ton of veggies in a piece of bread that is made with healthy fats like nuts or seeds, olive oil and flaxseed…you would become addicted too. I use mine for veggie wraps, dip in hummus, egg wraps, and to just eat by itself. Check out the e-course I took here!
- Excalibur Dehydrator- Have you ever made kale chips in the dehydrator? Yeah, it’s life changing as well. Once you make them in the dehydrator, you’ll never go back to the oven. Plus, in the dehydrator all the nutrients are kept intact, since it’s not cooked past 115. I use my dehydrator for making raw veggie bread too, fruit leather, dried fruit, sprouted nuts- again the list is endless! Check out my Excalibur Dehydrator here!
- OSEA Ocean Cleanser- I found this cleanser this past year and I haven’t looked back. I’m already on my second bottle and these are large bottles! I love that it I can use it on my eyes to remove all my eye makeup and it doesn’t sting. I also love that it foams up ever so slightly and that it washes off with water- no washcloth needed. Another product that everyone loves! Plus, it smells amazing! Get yours here!
- True Botanicals Antioxidant Boost and Cellular Repair Serum- I’ve been using these two for a serious dose of antioxidants and vitamins for the skin for several years. They seriously work! I always tell people if you’re looking for products that deliver in natural beauty, then look no further, these are it! These products are what are going to help with those fine lines and help to age gracefully. Get them here!
- Activ Whey Protein Powder- If you follow me, you know I love Activ Whey! It’s a goat whey protein that comes in vanilla and chocolate. Tastes amazing- you will become addicted. It also is so light, not heavy at all. It’s completely different than cow’s whey. It’s hypo-allergenic versus allergenic, is immune boosting and promotes healthy digestion. Check it out here!
- Waseda Farms- I just discovered Waseda Farms a couple months ago and I’ve been hooked! I get nothing from recommending them, other than hopefully more business sent their way. They are the best organic, pastured meat delivery farm I’ve found. Most meats deliveries are organic but not pastured- Waseda is both! Their selection is amazing too! From pork, chicken, beef, lamb, and turkey. The taste is amazing too- you won’t be disappointed. Plus, they deliver it right to your front door! That’s my favorite part. For so long I had to go to all these farms to get it but now I just go to Waseda! I have my good friend Steph Duford to thank! Check out all their offerings here!
- Stasher Bags- These silicone bags have changed my food storage game for the better! I don’t use plastic bags anymore. But use these instead. They aren’t leaching any toxic chemicals, and I save money because I’m not constantly buying plastic bags. Plus, you’re saving the environment! Get yours here!
- E3 Live- This is an organic algae that has given me energy and helped my hashimotos. I started taking it over a year ago and I have felt so much better taking it! It gives my body all the nutrients! Algae supports digestion and the immune system, helps with mental clarity, and brain health. Trust me, this stuff is SO good! Get your E3Live here!
- Ilia True Skin Serum Foundation- I talk about this foundation all the time and sometimes I feel like a broken record but it’s because I just love it! It doesn’t look heavy on the skin, covers redness, and creates and overall polished glow. You’ll be loving how your skin looks. I’ve tried all the natural foundations and this one always calls to me! It performs just like it’s name- True Skin Serum Foundation. I wear the color SF3. Snag it here!
- Almond Cow- I never knew I needed this clever gadget until I started to use it- now I don’t know how I got along without it. It makes making nut milks a breeze- I mean seriously so easy! You’ll love it! Get your Almond Cow here!
- Xtrema Cookware- I started using this nontoxic cookware several months ago and wow it’s a whole new world in the kitchen! Things don’t stick like they used too, it’s so easy to clean and it continues to look good. I’m going to be giving these as gifts!
- Agent Nateur Holi Rose Deodorant- I probably had tried 50 natural deodorants until Agent Nateur Holi Rose. Once I tried it though, there was no going back. This deodorant doesn’t mess around. It has never irritated my skin, and keeps me smelling fresh all day long. I’m not the only one that thinks this. This is a holy grail among green beauty bloggers! Snag one here!
- Kosmatology Hand Soap- There’s hand soaps and then there’s Cosmetology hand soaps. These hands soaps are squeaky clean, don’t dry out your hands(hello) and come in a ton of fun scents. Get one for you and for a friend here!
- Aila Nail Polish and Nail Polish Wipes- I’ve tried a lot of natural nail polish and Aila has stolen my heart. It goes on so smooth, isn’t goopy at all. Love all the colors! They have a top coat called better than gel that literally acts like a natural top coat on top of your nails. I also love their nail polish remover wipes. I can easily take them anywhere because they come in a wipe form. Get your Aila nail polish and wipes here!
See anything you love too? What are some natural products that have changed your life?
I finally rounded out the best nontoxic cookware! I have received this question so much within the last 6 months that I knew I needed to write a blog post. It’s crazy how many toxic chemicals can be lurking in cookware. It might not seem like a big deal but over time these chemicals add up and produce a toxic load!
So What’s In The Average Pot or Pan?
I’m sure you’ve either used nonstick pots or pans or heard of them. These pans may make it easy to cook your food with but unfortunately they carry dangerous toxic exposure as well! Nontoxic cookware usually contains this chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid or PFOA. Science has shown that it can stay in human bodies for long periods of time. It has even shown to cause cancer in lab studies done on animals.
While cancer is nothing to bat an eye at, it also can cause infertility, liver damage, plus delayed development just to name a few other things. Of course PFOA isn’t the only ingredient you want to avoid in your cookware. Things like aluminum, plastic, lead, teflon, and cadmium. These all pose a serious risk to our health and should be avoided.
When living out a natural lifestyle one of the foundations is cooking your food. It’s no secret that when you cook your own food, you’re getting more nourishment usually then when going out. However, if the cookware we constantly use is leaching out harmful toxins we may be doing ourselves a disservice. As I mentioned earlier it’s the toxic load over time that really adds up. These chemicals are literally getting into the food we’re eating and then absorbed by our bodies.
So What Is Safe?
There are some great options out there now when it comes to nontoxic cookware! I will say some of the cookware definitely are a little pricier than non-stick- however the investment is worth it. These pots and pans are going to last you a lot longer than many conventional pots and pans and won’t carry the toxic burden.
This was the first type of nontoxic cookware that I switched over too and I still love it. It really has been around forever and that’s one of the reasons I love it. It does take a little bit of time to get used to it but once you’ve worked with it you figure it out. I really love the Lodge cast iron pans. They’re easy to find at Target or you can order them on Amazon. They’re also budget friendly! I use this pan for cooking eggs, meats, frying- really the list is endless. A couple tips when using cast iron. Make sure and slowly add heat. I found this works best instead of blasting the food with heat. It helps to not burn food. Cast iron retains heat very well. Also, make sure you season it regularly. This helps to create a type of natural nonstick surface. If you’re unsure how to season it, The Wellness Mama did a whole blog post on it here. When you season a cast iron it’s basically adding a good oil to keep it hydrated and then baking it. I avoid cooking acidic foods in cast iron because it can break down the seasoning or patina that’s been made on the cast iron. Cleaning cast iron can seem intimidating at first, but it’s actually not. You don’t want to use soap with cast iron- it can damage the seasoning and dry it out. Instead, use some salt to clean it. I just shake salt on top and then take a scrubby and scrub away. Then rinse with water. Then you want to dry it and rub in a cooking oil. *The one caution I would make is that cast iron has been known to leach iron so if for some reason you have an abundance of iron you might want to switch up your pans every now and then. I’ve been the opposite more anemic so I welcome all the iron I can get! Check out Lodge Cast Iron here!
This is another option. It is unique because it comes in many varieties and types. In other words not all stainless steel is created equal. Stainless steel is made up of a combination of metals. Some of the most common metals are chromium and nickel. The chromium is what helps to protect against rusting and is nontoxic for the most part in the body. Our bodies do need chromium in small amounts but it’s not that much and if you eat a fairly healthy diet you may already be getting more than you need. Nickel on the other hand is used to give stainless steel that extra hardness and to give it that polished look. However, it isn’t great for our bodies. There is virtually no reason for us to consume nickel. Your best bet is to buy food grade stainless steel. When shopping you will see numbers like 200, 304, 316 and 430. These numbers represent the series of stainless steel. For example, a 300 series may corrode easier then a 400 series. Whereas a 400 series is going to be the strongest and have almost no nickel. Of course the 400 series will cost more! I wouldn’t buy anything less than a 304 for overall quality. You will also see numbers 18/8, 18/10 or 18/0. The first number represents the amount of chromium and the second number the amount of nickel. It’s also important to not use harsh cleaners when cleaning stainless steel because it can cause damage to the lining. When the lining is damaged the heavy metals can leach into the food a lot easier. Personally, although this option is safer than many I still prefer not to cook with it all the time because of the possible metal content leaching into food, especially if the food your cooking is acidic. Also, many stainless steel cookware has a layer of aluminum in between the stainless steel. So it’s important to note that if your stainless steel was to get scratched you need to stop using it. You may also see copper sandwiched in the in-between layer as well. They do this because both aluminum and copper are heat conductors. From what I’ve read and researched since the aluminum isn’t coming into contact with the food and is protected by stainless steel it’s fine to have it in the cookware. *Some people already have high levels of heavy metals in their bodies and cooking with stainless steel wouldn’t be a good idea. However, many people might be fine. I know a lot of people who use it only for certain things and then other foods that might be more acidic they use different cookware. One more important tidbit is that commercial kombucha is brewed in large stainless steel vats and since kombucha is acidic it is soaking up all those heavy metals. Even though it’s housed in glass it’s best to steer clear of store bought kombucha and make your own at home. Check out this great set of stainless steel cookware here!
This has been my newest cookware option that I’ve started to use for the last several months and really have come to love! It is different than both stainless steel and cast iron. From the glaze on the cookware to the core it’s made with 100% ceramic. Ceramic is awesome because it’s completely inert- meaning it won’t leach any harmful toxins. All of Xtrema has been tested for heavy metal content and is free from glues, polymers, coatings and dyes. If you want to see their testing results check them out here. Plus, it’s dish washer safe- something all the mamas can get behind! It heats very evenly too. You can even take a dish from the fridge to the stove or oven- it’s very versatile. It also can withstand high temperatures. It’s easy to clean Xtrema cookware too, just use warm soapy water. You can also use baking soda or an abrasive scrubby if you need to. The best way to heat an Xtrema is to turn the heat on low or low medium. Since it’s so great at heat conduction you don’t need or want to crank the heat up to high. Doing this would result in foods sticking or burning. It’s best to turn the heat on a couple minutes before you start cooking and then add a little cooking oil once it’s heated. I like avocado oil, ghee or coconut oil. Don’t add the oil to a cold pan, wait until it’s heated up or it will cause foods to stick. Personally, I love cooking with Xtrema! I have their 8-inch Versa Braiser. It’s nice because it has a lid and can be used for cooking meats, quiches, casseroles etc, but also can be used for cooking eggs with. *Beware, there is a lot of deceptive marketing around ceramic cookware. It may say ceramic but it is coated with a nonstick chemical. The only company I’m aware of that is a true ceramic, with no additives is Xtrema. Xtrema
There has been a lot of confusion I’ve noticed about this type of cookware. It is cast iron but then has been given a coating of enamel. This enamel is a type of glass. It is completely safe. There has been some controversy about the enamel being made of clay and therefore having lead but from various tests performed on it, there has been no lead detection reported. A common brand you may think of is Le Creuset. Their cookware is made in France. One might think that porcelain enamel is similar to cast iron and that is true but it does have it’s differences. Porcelain Enamel will not rust where regular cast iron can if not seasoned properly. Also, porcelain enamel won’t leach iron because of the coating, where cast iron will. Porcelain enameled is also nice to have for acidic foods like chili or spaghetti sauces. Acidic foods as I mentioned above can strip cast iron of it’s seasoning, especially when simmered for a long period of time. For cleaning you can use some mild dish soap on it and a scrub pad of some kind. For stubborn stains or food that’s stuck you can boil some water in it with a few tablespoons of baking soda. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight. *Personally I love having a porcelain enamel skillet on hand too. It’s great for using with acidic foods or making stir frys, soups, or stews. I would stick with Le Creuset. To my knowledge they are the only ones that have been tested for lead content and come back negative. The only small trace amounts that were found were on the outside of the lids and pots where there was some color but not inside. Also, I’m a skeptic of things made in China as they have been known to have higher metal content and most of the other porcelain enameled is made there. Check out Porcelain Enamel cookware here!
This is a great budget friendly option that’s available almost anywhere cookware is sold. One of the most common glass cookware is called Pyrex. It is inert, meaning it doesn’t add or take away from the food. I have several casserole or baking dishes whatever you like to call them. I use them for both casseroles and special desserts. I also have a round glass dish with a lid that’s great for soups or stews that I use a lot. For making breads I like to use a glass bread loaf pan too. *Glass is a great option for those starting to detox their cookware and looking for accessible and budget friendly options. I have even seen really good deals on Pyrex glass sets at Costco! Check out this Pyrex set here! Check out this great set by Anchor Hocking here!
When it comes to baking you can use a lot of the cookware I mentioned above but there are a few other options too. For the ones mentioned above you can use cast iron to bake breads, or porcelain enamel for desserts such as crumbles, cobblers or pies. Also, glass cookware is a great option for baking too, as well as stainless steel. Stainless steel is especially nice for cookie sheets or cake pans! These are a great option for stainless steel cookie sheets! If you’re still concerned about the possible metal leakage just use some parchment paper. I love this brand that doesn’t leach any toxic chemicals. I use parchment paper when baking always because it makes clean up so much easier and is sometimes essential when making cakes. You can also get stainless steel muffin trays. Another option I haven’t talked about is stone cookware. They have stone baking sheets, loaf pans and cake pans. I personally haven’t used them. I know that you have to be really careful when cleaning as you can’t use soap or get them wet. They’re also heavier too. Rada is a good American made brand that is lead free. *When it comes to bakeware think about what you use the most and swap that out first. As I mentioned earlier, you can always buy some nontoxic parchment paper and use that as a protectant too. I also like these nontoxic paper muffin liners.
I have never used silicone for cooking or baking other than some silicone muffin liners. However, I stopped using them because I started to wonder if they were actually safe. I had read a lot of information saying there just isn’t enough research out there yet and I agree. Until more long term studies come out, I’m going to stick with using silicone when food isn’t heated or cooked.
I do think it’s important to switch out your cookware because this is something you use all the time and the accumulative affect is great. Even if you could replace one item every quarter, by the end of the year you would have a whole new cookware set!
What nontoxic cookware option do you love?
Ok, I’ve got the best Labor Day Sales in green beauty and natural living for you all! I’ll be updating it as I get new information in. Some I can’t share until certain dates, so I’ll keep you posted as the new info. comes in. One things for sure, there are deals galore happening and I don’t want you to miss out on any of them!
When Labor day sales happen it’s the perfect time to stock up on some serious loot for the holidays. Before things have been picked over or sold out- if ya know what I mean. Plus, you’ll get a head start on Christmas shopping- how cool!
I’m going to list each online store and then under them I’ll list the deal. Some I may have to leave blank until a specific date. Be sure to check back throughout the week and weekend as I’ll be updating with the latest sales happening!
Labor Day Sales for Green Beauty
- Check out my full review on this amazing green beauty skincare line! So clean and effective. Read my review to see my top faves.
Read and shop my full review here!
- 15% off your purchase 8/31-9/4 Use Code: LABORDAY
Shop Aillea Beauty here!
Sale ends Monday Sept. 3rd at midnight!
- 15% off orders over $200+ with code 15OFF
- 10% off orders over $150+ with code 10OFF
Shop The Detox Market here!
*Promotion valid from Aug. 29th-Sept. 3rd
- Receive an $80 gift of products with any purchase of $125 or more. Use Code: LONGWEEKEND
Shop Credo Beauty here!
- Pharmaca is your one stop shop for everything natural lifestyle! From green beauty, supplements, natural living, and organic baby. They are offering 25% off using coupon code: LABORDAY . Starts Friday Aug. 31st- Monday Sept. 3rd.
Shop Pharmaca here!
- Save 25% off your order! Valid Aug. 31st- Sept 4th.
Shop Au Naturale here!
- Receive any face mask for free ($48) value with any purchase of $125 or more.
Shop OSEA here!
- Thursday Aug. 30th- Tuesday Sept. 4th get 25% off sitewide! Use Code: LDAY18 at checkout.
Shop Hynt Beauty here!
GREEN BEAUTY BOXES-
Art of Organics-
Sale ends Monday Sept. 3rd.
- 20% off all store purchases- Use code: GOODBYESUMMER
- Free shipping starting Friday Aug. 31st- Monday Sept. 3rd. Use Coupon Code: LABORDAY1
Shop Beauty Heroes here!
Best Organic Bedding
- August 30th- Sept. 3rd take $40 off your order using coupon code: GGG40!
Shop SOL Organics here!
- I love West Elm for their quality products, but also their sustainability practices and fair trade. I’ve purchased my all wood bed frame from them, and many bedding items. Check out my blog I did on detoxing your bedding here. They offer so many great organic bedding options- from sheets, blankets and duvet covers. They are having sales on everything and a certain percentage off for certain amounts you spend.
Shop out West Elm here!
Shop White Lotus Home here!
EMF SHIELDING PRODUCTS-
Best EMF shielding products on the market
Check out Defender Shield here!
Best natural nut milk maker for organic and nontoxic living.
- I’ve been using the Almond Cow for over two months now and I can’t recommend it enough! Serious game changer when it comes to making your own nut milks! It does all the straining and grinding. You literally soak the nuts, add them to their special machine and voila- instant nut milk! And guess what?! It’s so smooth and creamy- even better than how I used to make it. You will love! They are offering my readers $15 off their purchase using coupon code: gurlgonegreen.
Shop Almond Cow here!
Raw Veggie Bread-
- Offering 35% off August 30th – Sept. 3rd. If you’ve followed me for a hot minute you know I’m obsessed with raw veggie bread! What is it? It’s a combination of nuts, seeds, veggies, oils, herbs and spices. The combination gives you such a nutrient punch. From healthy fats to antioxidants- you’re body will thank you! I started making it over a year ago and haven’t looked back! It’s seriously been life changing. I didn’t learn this myself- I learned from the master, Deanna Mutzel from @realfoodlab. She’s the queen when it comes to making raw veggie bread! She has two ebooks/courses on it. One larger and one smaller. I’ve taken the larger one and I can’t tell you how much it helped me! It’s packed full of videos, tutorials, tips, recipes and so much more. I’ve never eaten more veggies in my life and loved it! I can’t recommend it enough. Also, read my full blog post I did on raw veggie bread to understand what it is and why I love it so much!
Check out the Larger Course/Ebook here!
Check out the Smaller Course/Ebook here!
Ok, if you’re still wanting more Labor Day Sales- head to my girl Lisa’s blog, This Organic Girl! She’s got a ton more roundups for you there! Check out her site here!
So excited to share with you about Sprouts’ Grand Opening in Mill Creek Washington! I was first introduced to Sprouts’ on trips to California, and Texas and instantly fell in love with their whole philosophy and shopping experience. Then when I found out they were opening a store near me in Mill Creek in Washington state I was over the moon! Sprouts’ makes the whole process of buying whole foods easy and affordable.
The Mill Creek Sprouts’ opens on August 15th! This is Sprouts’ 18th state- so exciting! I can hardly wait- you could say I’ll be there with bells on. So what makes their shopping experience so special. Well, several reasons. One of the biggest reasons I’ve loved shopping there is because they offer fresh, natural, and organic foods at great prices!
Why I Love Shopping at Sprouts:
- It’s my one stop shop for eating real, whole foods. I can buy not only my produce there, but my meat, dairy products, natural body care and household items. They cover the whole spectrum when it comes to health and wellness. I can get all I need in one trip! Something that makes this mama very happy.
- Sprouts’ makes eating healthy affordable. Often you hear eating healthy is expensive. But when shopping at Sprouts’ you can be sure you’re getting the best deal. They make healthy eating accessible for anyone. They just recently opened their 300th location! Their produce selection alone is always 20%-25% lower than traditional grocery stores.
- They carry around 18,000 products, 90 percent of which are natural or organic! How cool is it to know you’re shopping at a grocery store that takes natural and organic food seriously and embraces healthy living.
- I love how specific Sprouts’ gets with their quality and product selection. When shopping at Sprouts’ you can know exactly what you’re buying with their specific health attributes. For ex. you can see if meat is grassfed, or if cheese is raw or organic by their easy to read labels. They also have highly trained butchers that can cut anything to your liking, share tips, best practices and recipes. Plus, they are able to sell quality meat that’s never frozen.
- Great for healthy on the go. Their market deli is a great option for those who are in a hurry and need quick options for eating real food. You can make your own sandwiches, grab a fresh juice, grab some salad from the salad bar or soup.
- One of my favorite things is the wide array of natural body and beauty options available. I literally can grab some deodorant and toothpaste when picking up my groceries- I love how easy Sprouts’ makes living a natural lifestyle. You can even grab your supplements from there too! Say goodbye to running to several different stores- Sprouts’ has streamlined the whole experience.
- Their weekly ads. Their weekly ads are great because you can see what’s on sale! They organize it so well from bulk sales, produce sales, dairy, etc. Making it so easy to help plan out your meals based on what’s on sale.
- Sprouts’ App. The Sprouts’ app is something I just discovered but will be using a ton! It shows you their weekly ads easily, offers mobile coupons to save the most on items you love and helps you earn check marks on certain purchases with their Checkout Challenges. When you earn check marks you’re able to unlock instant rewards at checkout.
As you can see there are so many reasons to love Sprouts’! One of the things I noticed right away with Sprouts’ was how it didn’t feel overwhelming. Many times grocery stores are so large and you can get lost but not with Sprouts’. Yet, I love how it’s bigger than many small health food stores. I don’t feel like I have to stop anywhere else because Sprouts’ offers it all.
I can’t wait for you all to experience Sprouts’! If you’re in the greater Seattle area then put August 15th on your calendar, Sprouts’ grand opening in Mill Creek. This is the first Washington store! For more information on the Mill Creek opening check out the press release here.
Will you be at the Sprouts’ Mill Creek Grand Opening? Have you shopped at Sprouts’ before?