In episode #36 we are hearing how to practice wellness without losing your mind with Phoebe Lapine. Phoebe is a food and health writer, gluten-free chef, wellness expert, culinary instructor, Hashimoto’s advocate and speaker, born and raised in New York City, where she continues to live and eat. On her award-winning blog, Feed Me Phoebe, she shares recipes for healthy comfort food and insights about balanced lifestyle choices beyond what’s on your plate. Named by Women’s Health Magazine as the top nutrition read of 2017, Phoebe’s best-selling debut memoir, The Wellness Project, chronicles her journey with Hashimotos Thyroiditis and how she finally found the middle ground between health and hedonism by making one lifestyle change, one month at a time.
Phoebe is a frequent contributor to Food and Wine, The Huffington Post, Yahoo Health, and Mind Body Green, who named her one of 100 Women to Watch in Wellness. Her recipes and writing have also appeared in Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, SELF, Shape, Glamour, and O! Magazine, among others. She is a regular host of cooking shows and wellness programming for Healthination and AOL.
Connect with Phoebe-
Tell us a little about yourself. Who is Phoebe Lapine and how did you get to where you are today?
This is a question we ask all our guests- what was your Golden Hour moment or health awakening that has had the biggest impact on your health?
So you have an amazing book called the Wellness Project- what made you want to write the book and give us a brief synopsis of what it’s about?
Would love to hear your biggest takeaways from writing the book and what you learned about living out a healthy lifestyle in the modern world?
I LOVE your approach to wellness and just finding a balance between as you say, “what nourishes your body and what feeds your soul.” Can you talk more about the term you coined for this?
After being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s myself your book was such a breath of fresh air. I love your balanced approach to health and healing. What piece of advice would you give to those who may be diagnosed with something and feel completely overwhelmed by “all” the things they should do for their health?
Ok, so you are a gluten free chef, I would love to know how you go about actually eating the healthy food daily? Do you meal prep, plan? Can you share some tips with the audience.
So excited for your recent launch of your podcast all about SIBO- tell us all the details and why you started it!
This is a question we ask all our guests- what are three health habits that have made the biggest impact on your health?
Where can everyone find you?
Links Mentioned in The Podcast-
- Phoebe’s Book- The Wellness Project
- Sibo Made Simple Podcast
- Wellness Project Program E-course
- Phoebe’s Recipes
If you did, don’t forget to subscribe on Itunes! And while you’re there, could you please leave us a “golden” review? It would really make our day and help spread the word about healthy living.
My updated True Botanical’s Review is here. A lot has changed for this luxe line, since I last reviewed it. From product changes, name changes and new products-a lot’s been going on for TB! I couldn’t be more excited for all the newness!
When I think of TB what sticks out to me is a luxe anti-aging line. Using the most potent ingredients, TB spares no expense when it comes to creating their products. They care about quality and seeing products that actually perform, while at the same time are safe. A truly unique company in the green beauty industry. The scents of their products are some of the best. Nothing is too strong but smells fresh and real. I also love how they do clinical tests on their products. Something that is rare among the natural skincare industry. Proven results, with clean ingredients-what more could you want? Oh and I can’t forget to mention that all their products come in frosted glass bottles, can you say luxurious? Not only do they make skincare products but also some stellar body products. I tried out the shampoo and conditioner, body wash and lotion and they’re all winners!
TB is also one of the first companies to become Made Safe Certified. A new certification done by third party testing that ensures toxins stay out of products.
Another exciting piece of news from TB headquarters is their Clear Collection just passed clinical trials against Proactiv+. Making it the go to skincare line for acne. Most lines dry out your skin in hopes of combatting acne. But with TB’s Clear Collection it actually kills bacteria that could be causing flare ups and breakouts. The products create balance in your skin, unlike most acne treatment lines. Say hello to your new favorite acne skincare line that delivers. Check out the full clinical trial results here! As they say the proof is in the pudding!
TB was started by Hillary Peterson. She was a long time lover of luxury skincare. However, she realized the price she was paying for luxury skincare also cost her toxic ingredients. Having been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, she knew a change needed to be made. After 8 years of research with chemists, studying botanicals and talking with sustainability experts, she created True Botanicals. Her goal was to make skincare products that were not only effective but clean. Well she did it and since then has won some awards…
True Botanicals’ rule-breaking approach to luxury skin care and ability to bring together superior results and safety has earned it ELLE magazine’s coveted Genius award and placement at several of the world’s top spas.
If you’re unsure of what line to commit to in TB, then take their online quiz here. They’ve made it easy to help you decide what line suits your skin best. Skincare doesn’t have to be complicated. If it’s one thing I’ve learned from using TB products it’s that skincare needs two things to be great, clean and effective. TB offers both.
Ok, so want to know what I thought about TB’s new products and line in general? Well then sit back and take notes-it’s about to get good!
They also have a pregnancy collection. So you don’t need to think twice about what skincare line to use when pregnant. I mean what more could you want? A clean and effective skincare line when you’re pregnant? Sign me up!
*A little disclaimer- my skin type is normal to dry so I use the RENEW line by TB. They have 4 different lines depending on your skin type. RENEW is for Normal skin. CLEAR is for acne-prone, CALM is for rosacea -prone skin and Pregnancy is for well you guessed it- when you’re pregnant. As I said earlier, take the quiz to see what products would best suit your skin.
This is the first step in the cleansing routine. You apply it to dry skin and rub in circular motions all over to help loosen dirt and makeup. Then I take a warm washcloth and use it to wipe off all the residue. Skin feels clean and isn’t stripped. A win/win! It’s nice in my opinion to have a double cleanse process! It really helps to get your skin clean. The first cleanse really gets your skin clean and the second cleanse restores your skin. Grab your bottle here!
This cleanser is milky in consistency. I apply it to damp skin and rub it all over in circular motions, even over my eye makeup. I double cleanse with this cleanser or use a balm before it and then use the Hydrating Cleanser second. It leaves your skin so smooth and not dry at all. Your skin feels balanced all over. So many cleansers blast your face and your skin is literally crying out for moisture-not the case with this cleanser. I love the mild earthy smell of jasmine and grapefruit. If you’ve been searching for a cleanser that balances your skin and removes all the junk this is your gem! Grab your bottle here!
This mist…I literally love the smell! It never gets old. Fresh smelling, not overly powerful. With jasmine, tuberose, and neroli, the whole combination just works! TB is serious about delivering even when it comes to it’s mists. This mist is packed with active ingredients like kombucha that detoxifies skin and balances ph. Plus, algae extract with it’s high omega 3’s and 6’s that protect skin from moisture loss, fix cellular damage and fill with fluid. Oh and did I mention the base isn’t made up of water but of Green Tea and White Tea? Yeah, they’re pretty much all stars when it comes to skin. Not only are they skin soothing, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory, they’re also anti-aging ingredients-hello! Yeah, you could say this mist is jam packed with some serious goodness. Get your mist here!
This serum-another good one. I mean am I sounding like a broken record yet? This serum is designed to reverse the cellular damage caused by sun exposure and aging. Pretty sure everyone wants to sign up for that-am I right?! Besides reversing cellular damage it also replenishes moisture and plumps up skin. It’s highly concentrated and goes past the surface of the skin to really get to the cellular level. Most serums sit at the top of the skin-not TB’s. Another thing I love about this serum is it’s ability to calm redness and ease congestion. My skin looks clearer over all and more even toned. I apply it after toning/misting my skin. Since it’s a serum my skin doesn’t feel moisturized but slightly dewy. This is a serum that is going to work for your skin everyday. An anti-aging, redness reducing serum all rolled into one. Invest in your skin and grab your’s here!
I talk a lot about this beauty on my Instagram- if you don’t follow, what are you waiting for? To say I’m obsessed would be an understatement. This booster is all around the star when it comes to keeping my skin looking youthful- no joke. Allow me to share some wisdom on why this works so well.
Free radicals are constantly at work in our skin causing damage. They are caused by the foods we eat, stress, the sun, air we breathe and so on. They can cause skin conditions like acne, rosacea and of course aging. The thing that we need to give our skin to fight free radicals are antioxidants. Antioxidants counteract free radical damage and help to repair and restore the skin. Our skin produces antioxidants on their own, but as we age we lose antioxidants. That’s why it’s important to keep feeding our skin antioxidants as we age.
The Antioxidant Booster does just that! It gives your skin the most potent form of antioxidants the minute it touches your skin because you don’t activate it until right before you use it. Since it’s in powder form, it hasn’t lost it’s potency because it’s not been mixed with liquid. The minute you mix it with a liquid you activate the formula. Imagine all those serums you’ve been buying that have promised to be filled with antioxidants but they’ve basically been deactivated since they’ve been sitting in liquid. This gives you the freshest antioxidants delivered right to your skin!
Plus, the Antioxidant Booster is made using whole apple peel which has been shown to be more effective than Vitamin C- hello! It’s basically like your skin’s best friend if you ask me. I mix this with the Repair Serum(you could use the Clear Serum from True Botanical’s, The Calm- whatever line that matches up to your skincare needs). Then I apply it my skin. I apply this before my oils. I find this helps my skin to absorb the oil better. Then I apply my oils. I can’t recommend this product enough! I like the Vitamin C Booster too, but this one has done amazing things for my skin.
I’ve seen hyperpigmentation fade, sun spots and an overall brightness and evenness to my skin. People ask me all the time how I apply it. I don’t follow True Botanicals recommendation of applying my oils first and then applying my Antioxidant booster and cellular repair serum. They recommend you start with their oil, then mix the Antioxidant Booster or Vitamin C Booster with one of their serums and apply to the skin. This isn’t how I was traditionally taught in esthetic school. However, True Botanical’s Oils are different then most oils. Here is an explanation they sent me:
We use oils that are specifically formulated to have smaller particle size and therefore be more easily absorbed into the skin, the oil doesn’t sit on top of the skin and create a barrier that the serum would be unable to penetrate
So if you want to apply your oil first and then Antioxidant Booster or Vitamin C Booster and serum do it. If you want to do it the other way- you can do it that too. They did inform me that the Vitamin C Booster is only water-soluble (not oil-soluble), so if you apply it first and then add the oil, it can sometimes create a bit of a pilling effect if the Vitamin C/Serum mixture hasn’t fully absorbed yet. The Antioxidant Booster is both water and oil soluble, so it’s easier to switch around the order of the products when you’re using that one! Bottom line- It’s my skincare must have! Get it here!
This vitamin c treatment is preserved in it’s freshest form. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps to even skin tone, brighten and fade wrinkles, stimulate collagen, plus firm and repair skin. I mean every face needs this stuff. You might be wondering why it comes in a powder form. When vitamin c is mixed with a liquid it slowly loses potency. By keeping it in powder form you can be assured it’s in it’s freshest form. Combine 1 to 2 shakes of the Vitamin C Booster with one of TB’s serums and mix until dissolved. Then apply to skin and let seep in. Grab your Vitamin C Booster here!
Where do I start with this oil? Gahh…I really love it. It’s their number 1 product and for good reason. It seeps right into your skin, leaves behind no greasy residue, and makes your skin feel hydrated throughout the day and night. Besides being highly hydrating it also helps smooth wrinkles, shrink large pores and fight free radical damage. I love the scent as well. Not heavy at all, but with notes of frankincense, neroli, rose and jasmine. Many people wonder what makes this oil so special, here’s a blurb from TB on their website that explains it so well-
When therapeutic oils are applied to the skin without the interference of waxes, they can be absorbed directly into the top layers of the epidermis, where they instantly go to work to improve lipid barrier function. By replenishing the oils you’ve lost due to natural attrition and exposure, you enable your skin to properly do its job: hold moisture in and keep the elements, like sun and wind, out.
So many people are afraid of oils who suffer from acne. Oils are actually necessary and help create balance in the skin. This oil, as with all of TB’s products is also available in the CLEAR Line and CALM Line. Grab your bottle here and thank me later!
This mask does exactly what it says- it moisturizes and exfoliates. It’s a gel consistency. It gets rid of all the dead skin and reveals that inner glow(aka new skin). I leave mine on for 5 minutes. It’s especially great right before a big event or night out when you want your skin to be glowing. It also gives you an even smooth canvas for flawless makeup application. You won’t be disappointed with this mask-Get yours here!
This is the newest product from True Btoanicals. This mask really offers some serious hydration. You cleanse your skin and apply your products as you would normally and then you apply the mask. Instead of rinsing it off you sleep in it! When you wake up your skin is silky smooth and moisturized. Like a big gulp of water for your skin. I put down a hand towel on my pillow so the product didn’t get on my pillow case. But it really does soak in to the skin so well you hardly notice anything. I can’t think of a better product for your skin in the dry winter months! It literally nourishes the skin so well. I notices minimized redness too. Get your Moisture Lock Mask here! Get it here!
I’ve been using this eye serum since they first introduced it last spring and I’ve been hooked. It is so concentrated and rich. A little goes a long way. It literally lasts forever since you need such little product. I just dab a drop around my eye area with my ring finger(least amount of muscles). My eye area is hydrated and puffiness is minimized. My eyes look rested and brightened. Again, TB takes it to the next level with their eye serum. Unlike most eye serums that sit on the surface, TB’s actually goes deep into the skin to repair skin at the cellular level. You can say goodbye to crows feet! Get your Eye Serum here!
If you’ve thought that no natural shampoo and conditioner will work for your hair, think again. The shampoo suds up like a mainstream shampoo, but without the harsh chemicals. The conditioner doesn’t leave that greasy oil residue…you know that feeling I’m talking about! Need, I say more? Not really, but I will because I just can’t help myself! It smells insanely good, fresh like everything they make does. They also come in recyclable metal bottle pumps, that literally look so luxe in the shower. I promise you won’t be disappointed, this stuff is amazing and worth every penny, and that says a lot coming from a stylist. Get your shampoo and conditioner here!
I’m obsessed with this body oil! It literally is so luxurious. It smells like sandalwood, cedarwood and orange. I love how it comes in a pump form- easy application. It is filled with so many antioxidants and fatty acids that make this a power packed oil, while at the same time a very nourishing and hydrating oil. But get this- it doesn’t feel greasy, not at all! It glides on your skin effortlessly but doesn’t leave that slimy feeling. Once you try it, you’ll be hooked! Grab it here!
This was a different product I hadn’t tried all together but couldn’t wait to dive in and see what all the fuss was about. This is literally a skin’s dream product! It uses lactic acid to gently exfoliate the skin and remove the rough and dry patches. You are left with skin that is smooth, soft and overall lovely! I apply this to dry skin all over my body and then wait for 15 minutes before I rinse off in the shower. I’m literally left with skin that is silky! Plus, it’s a good excuse to grab that book you’ve been wanting to read while you wait for this mask to do it’s magic. Get it here!
These came out not too long ago and I love applying them for instant stress relief, mood boost and muscle tension relief. They come in 3 different types.
- Stress Relief- This rollerball includes oils of tarragon, frankincense, and sandalwood. It is calming and helps to ease anxiety. You roll it on your temples, wrists and chests. You can even just cup your hands and breathe in the aroma. This is nice to have at your desk, purse, bathroom- really anywhere!
- Muscle Relief- Got sore muscles? Then grab this rollerball. It takes your fatigued muscles and soothes them instantly. I rub it on wherever I have sore muscles and it instantly takes the tension away. It has essential oils of roman chamomile, clary sage, and orange peel. You could even apply before a shower or bath for added benefits.
- Immune Support- This is perfect for the winter months when you want to boost your immunity. It has essential oils ofavintsara, bay laurel, and balsam fir. These oils are antibacterial, and antiviral. Apply this on your chest, lymph, and throat. The aromatherapy really helps to support the immune system naturally.
Phew, ok bottom line from the review-this line is here to stay and seriously performs. If you want clean skincare, that produces results, then True Botanicals is your ticket!
Have you used any of their products? What are your faves?
Anyone else wondering what natural winter skincare faves to have on hand this season? Winter is full on here, I mean we finally have snow, ice and some seriously cold temps. When it’s this cold, I’m either happiest when I’m sitting next to a fire, drinking something warm or bundled up- who’s with me?! This mama likes warm temps! I’ve had so many winter skincare questions lately that I thought I would do a dedicated post on the subject. After all, as the seasons change, so should your skincare. When it’s cold and dry your skin needs different things then when it’s hot and humid. So if your skin’s been freaking out the past few weeks- keep reading! It’s time to address some of the common skin issues when winter strikes!
It’s no secret that the air becomes drier when winter comes. The air no longer holds as much moisture like it does in the warm months. When the air is drier, skin also can get drier. Unfortunately, this can lead to skin cracking, redness and overall heightened sense of sensitivity. When your skin loses it’s moisture barrier, it can easily get infamed. Not a recipe for skin success!
How to combat moisture loss?
I’m going to get to creams and oils, but it’s also important to really think about what you’re using to cleanse your skin. Are you cleansing your skin with a harsh cleanser that is going to strip your skin and leave it feeling drier? Swap out your spring or summer cleanser for a oil based or cream cleanser. This will nourish your skin from the very beginning of your routine, keeping your skin balanced from the start.
Here are some of my favorite natural winter skincare cleansers-
- Beautycounter Cleansing Balm- If you’re not familiar with a cleansing balm allow me to explain. A cleansing balm feels just like the name suggests- a balm. It’s thick and you only need a small amount applied to dry skin to get all the makeup, and grime off from the day. Once you’re done rubbing in circular motions with it, then you take a warm washcloth and use it to remove it all. The beauty of a cleansing balm is your skin doesn’t feel dried out at all afterwards. It feels balanced, and so hydrated! Grab it here!
- OSEA Ocean Cleanser- This is one of my favorite cleansers in clean beauty. It isn’t drying but not overly hydrating either. A good balance for sure. If you tend to have oily skin, or live in a pretty mild climate during the winter this would be a great cleanser. I first get my skin damp, then apply this cleanser all over my skin. Grab it here!
- Mahalo Unveil Cleanser- This is another cleanser that is similar to a cleansing balm. However, I do get my skin damp first before applying this. It emulsifies a little(gets sudsy) when you apply to skin with water. It feels so good on the skin!! It removes all the makeup, and grime easily too. Grab it here!
- Christina Moss Organic Facial Wash- This facial wash is both affordable and effective! It is great for the most sensitive skin types. It doesn’t leave your skin dry and yet removes your makeup and grime. I apply to wet skin and rub in circular motions and then rinse off. Grab it here!
- Beautycounter Nourishing Cleanser- I’ve only been using this cleanser for two weeks, so I hesitated to put it in here but it really is so good I couldn’t not share! It’s perfect for dry, winter months. I apply it to damp skin and rub it all over my skin- removes my eye makeup and everything. It’s a really creamy consistency. Ideal for those skin types that are really dry and sensitive. It’s also pretty budget friendly too. Grab it here!
So now that you know what cleansers to use to not dry out your skin even more, let’s talk about exfoliants.
During the winter months since skin is more sensitive and vulnerable, it’s best to steer clear of the manual exfoliants. Some people might do fine with them depending on their skin type but overall physical exfoliants can be too harsh.
It’s best to stick with chemical or enzyme exfoliants. Enzyme exfoliants are similar to chemical exfoliation but much gentler. It breaks down the glue that holds together dead skin. They use active ingredients like papain, papaya and pineapple to slough off the dead skin. Enzyme exfoliation is great for someone with sensitive skin. There’s no actual manual exfoliant involved. Another type is chemical exfoliation. Chemical exfoliation is stronger than enzyme exfoliation. It uses Alpha Hydroxy Acids(AHA’s) or Beta Hydroxy Acids(BHA’s). AHA’s are not as strong as BHA’s. A lot of peels are considered chemical exfoliants. Chemical exfoliants are great for those with oily skin and acne.
Here are some of my favorite natural winter skincare exfoliants-
- Leahlani Honey Love- This is a gentle exfoliant using enzymes to help slough off dead skin cells. It is healing, brightening and exfoliating all at the same time. Especially great for those with combination or acne prone skin. I apply this to damp clean skin and rub in circular motions. Then I let it sit on my skin for 3-5 minutes. Grab it here!
- Laurel Honey Berry Enzyme Mask- This is also an enzyme exfoliator that gently lifts away dead skin. It smells so good! A mixture of honey, berries and grapefruit. I apply this to damp skin, rub in circular motions and then let it sit on skin for 5-30 minutes. Grab it here!
- Pai Kukui & Jojoba Bead Skin Brightening Exfoliator- I discovered this exfoliator last year and since have been using it. It really helps to brighten skin gently using jojoba beads. The jojoba beads aren’t harsh but gentle. They glide over the skin easily, not disrupting skin’s natural moisture balance. I apply this to clean damp skin and rub in circular motions. Especially great for sensitive skin types. Grab it here!
- Ursa Major Bright and Easy 3-Minute Flash Mask- This mask gets you glowing in 3 minutes flat- just like the name suggests. It’s perfect for the most sensitive skin types. Worried your skin might react to a harsh exfoliant? This may be the one for you. Using enzymes to dissolve dead skin cells, this mask does it all in 3 minutes! It looks like a gel and feels light and refreshing on the skin. If you’re perpetually running late, this may be the mask for you! I put it on before I brush my teeth and rinse off once I’m done. The perfect amount of time to get a quick glow for the rest of the day. Grab it here!
Ok, now that we’ve got cleansers and exfoliants down, let’s talk about oils and creams.
Oils are definitely the rage, but for good reason! An oil consists of essential fatty acids that help to bring moisture to the skin. They also help to repair the outer layer of the skin so you don’t lose more moisture. Our bodies don’t produce EFA’s on their own so we need to supplement them internally and externally. I like taking a fish oil daily for some good omega 3’s. Oils also can contain a mix of essential oils that help to balance the skin and provide therapeutic properties. Oil’s work perfectly with our skin’s cutaneous and get to the center of the epidermis. Many people with oily skin think they should avoid oils- when really the opposite is true. Using oils helps bring balance to the skin and don’t clog pores(if you choose the right ones) like other moisturizers that contain emulsifiers, waxes, etc.
Here are some of my favorite natural winter skincare oils-
- Supercritical Pure Chia Oil- (dry skin, sensitive) This oil is made for even the driest skin types. Literally hydrating the most parched skin. It also has ingredients that plump up the skin and minimize fine lines. This is an all around super hydrator. I use it in the morning before my makeup or after a serum at night when I need some extra moisture. Your skin will feel like silk! Read more on the Supercritical Pure Chia Oil here and get one for yourself here!
- Osmia Organic’s Nectar Vital Rose Drops- The name is so appropriate for it, it truly feels like nectar on your skin, a rich luxe oil. Some oils feel thinner but this one feels fatty-haha are you still with me?! Let’s just say I love the feel of it. And the smell, amazing! Subtle rose, sandalwood and jasmine envelope you. I applied this at night and in the morning. At night I applied it after the toner and my skin just drank it up. In the morning my skin felt silky smooth and hydrated. It was as if it had a big drink of water at night and was infused with oxygen. Seriously, it’s SO good! You only need a few drops too. Having dry skin once the weather starts to turn I like adding a heavier moisturizer/oil in the morning. This was just the ticket. I allowed my skin to soak it up for 5 minutes before applying my makeup. You guys will love this, trust me! With only 8 ingredients, this 99.6% organic nectar is seriously so lovely. Grab it here!
- Holi(oil) Youth Serum- This frosted bottle contains a rich oil that smells like roses. Not only does it help smooth skin and wrinkles but it also is extremely hydrating. It doesn’t feel greasy at all and seeps into your skin, giving your face a radiance. My skin looked restored. I used this after several sleepless nights and it literally brought the life back into my skin. It’s true to it’s name- giving you your youthful skin back! There isn’t a long list of ingredients but the ones that are in there are effective. I also love using this before makeup. My foundation glides on. Bonus- my husband can use it too! This has barely any ingredients and scores a 2 when it comes to comedogenic rating. Which means it’s most likely not to cause clogged pores in people, however it could still in some.
Grab your bottle here!
Indie Lee Squalane Oil- Helps with texture and appearance of skin tone. It nourishes the skin without feeling greasy. Has a comedogenic rating of 0-1. I love how simplistic this oil is. It literally only contains squalene oil- that’s it! Great for sensitive skin and for improving the overall quality of the skin’s appearance. Grab it here!
Pai Rosehip Seed Oil- This oil has a rating of 1 on the comedogenic scale. Rosehip seed oil is great for so many things, from hydrating skin to calming inflammation. I love that this oil only has 3 ingredients. It’s really known for it’s healing properties and it’s rich Omega 3, 6, 7 & 9 plus antioxidant Carotenoids content. This is also budget friendly oil! Grab it here!
- Marie Veronique Soothing B3 Serum- This serum is good all seasons but especially in the dead of winter when skin can get irritated and extra sensitive from the elements. It helps to calm the skin with essential B Vitamins. It helps to calm sensitivity and redness and reduce acne. It doesn’t have any essential oils in it either! Regular use of Niacinamide has shown to help ease inflammation and overall acne. This isn’t hydrating on it’s own, it’s a gel consistency. I would apply this before an oil. Make sure if you do struggle with acne, that you’re not getting a comedogenic oil. The Indie Lee Squalene Oil and the Pai Rosehip Seed Oil would be good oils to start with above. Grab it here!
Now that you know what oil to choose, let’s dive into creams.
Many people aren’t sure what the difference is between an oil, a cream and a lotion. Allow me to explain. An oil is just that- just an oil- nothing added. A cream has a mix of water and oil, but more oil than water and then a lotion is also a mixture of water and oil but the higher percentage is water- which makes it thinner. Creams are great at protecting the skin, especially after applying an oil and if you need additional moisture. I like doing them at night. A lotion is good for in the morning when you want some hydration but don’t want to be too greasy from an oil.
We are going to focus on creams and their benefits. They really are the superstar in the winter for dry skin. They really help to protect skin and hold in the moisture.
Here are some of my favorite natural winter skincare creams-
- Joshrosebrook Vital Balm Cream- The Vital Balm Cream is hands down one of my favorite moisturizers. It feels creamy to the touch-not greasy and when I apply it my skin’s dryness dissipates and I’m left with plump hydrated skin. Ok, the smell…well it’s amazing! One of the best smelling products I’ve ever used. It has a fresh, light smell with vanilla enveloping all of it and blue tansy and ylang ylang notes throughout-I’m obsessed with the smell. It has the properties of a balm but feels like a cream-I mean it’s kind a dream cream! Can we talk about the color too?! The baby mint/blue hue just looks cool. The ingredient I was excited to learn about in the product is Indian Senna Seed. It really performs just like it supposed to in this cream. It’s been called the botanical hyaluronic acid, it gives skin the ability to retain moisture on it’s own. So your skin feels hydrated well after application. Grab it here!
- Jane Scrivener OO Cream- This cream has a bright golden orange hue from rosehip. I was so excited to see how this would stack up to other moisturizers. Well, I was impressed- very impressed. I’ve now been using this every night since I got it in the mail and can’t stop! It’s SO hydrating. Some creams leave your skin hydrated for a minute but this one lasts. It really sinks into the skin so nicely. I wake up in the morning and my skin still feels supple and moisturized, but not oily- I repeat not oily. Can I talk to you about the scent? I love the scent. It smells like vanilla- soothing and warm vanilla. It’s really an amazing product! If you’ve been looking for a cream to truly hydrate your skin in this winter season or any time- this is it. I can’t stop and won’t stop using it! Grab it here!
- Beautycounter Creams- I’ve been using the Countermarch Recovery Sleeping Cream at night over my facial oil and I’ve been loving it! It provides just a little extra moisture. I’ve also been using it before my makeup and it’s not too greasy. It might be in the summer but right now my skin needs some extra moisture. If you feel extra dry or have mature skin I would get the Rejuvenating Cream. My mom has this cream and loves it! Her skin is mature and very dry. She loves a good hydrating cream. The Rejuvenating Cream is also a bestseller!
So first what are skincare balms and why might you need one?? Good question. Balms are made generally from oils, butters, and waxes. In my opinion a true balm is waterless. The product is more concentrated when there’s not water and so pure. Balms are multitaskers. They seriously can do it all. From cleanse, hydrate, protect and even offer some serious nutrients. Since balms typically involve a lot of oils, they are using soluble ingredients. Which in the end let’s you put more ingredients into one product. Hello effectiveness! Plus, since they’re waterless usually formulas can include ingredients that are more potent. Balms are especially great in the winter when your skin needs extra protection. They can help to protect skin from the harsh winds, cold and lock in the moisture. I apply balms after oils or creams.
Here are some of my natural winter skincare balms-
- Maya Chia Waterless Wonderbalm- The balm itself is definitely a wonder. I couldn’t get enough. From my face, dry hands, feet, even my elbows, this balm seals in all the moisture. No greasy residue is left behind. My skin feels so hydrated, but the kind of hydration where you aren’t grabbing for the next moisturizing product. This is all you need. If you haven’t found anything that will give you that moisture you crave, then do yourself a favor and grab this balm-your skin will thank you! Grab it here!
- Leahlani Bless Beauty Balm- Dry skin stands no chance with this baby! This is a balm and not a cream but performs like a cream in many ways. It’s full of organic shea and cocoa butters, as well as cold pressed oils. It melts right into your skin and leaves behind a beautiful smell of rosehip oil and no oily residue. My skin felt so hydrated! The perfect companion for dry weather in winter, and in the summer when you’ve spent too much time in the sun. You only need a little dab for the whole face. Grab it here!
- Kari Gran Essential Balm- The Essential Balm really keeps with Kari Gran’s mission and ethos to only use what you need and to keep things simple. I love that about their brand. This balm can be used for so many things. From a facial moisturizer, to an eye balm, a cleansing balm and even a primer. Really it’s what you make of it and what works for you. It has incredible texture and feel. A little more slip than a traditional balm and almost melts into your hand when applying it. Grab it here!
- CVS Restorative Skin Balm- This is such a great protective skin balm. If your skin is cracked, dry and needing protection from the elements, this is your balm. It is similar to a conventional petroleum jelly product. It will soften skin, while hydrating at the same time. I even have used this on cuticles, elbows, or anywhere you experience cracked, dry skin. Grab it here!
Also, besides skincare products there are a few other things you can start to incorporate to ensure your skin stays calm and hydrated.
- Avoid long hot showers that can dry out your skin.
- Use lukewarm water when your cleansing your skin.
- Apply moisturizer when skin is still slightly damp to lock in moisture.
- Stay hydrated- make sure you’re drinking your water.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, nuts, seeds or take an omega-3 supplement.
- Avoid clothing that can irritate your skin like wool.
See any products you need to get? What helps keep your skin hydrated and balanced during the winter months?
So excited to share with you the Boxwalla October Box: African Botanics with you! There are so many reasons I really dig Boxwalla. I had been getting the box for a while up until last year but then I took a break while I was moving and getting settled. But honestly I kept seeing the curations every other month and I would drool a little! Haha, once a green beauty blogger, always a green beauty blogger!
In case you’re not familiar with Boxwalla– allow me to introduce you. This box delivers some of the best of green beauty. I find that’s what sets them apart from other green beauty boxes is their thoughtful curations. I always find they go out on a limb and really find brands and artisans that I haven’t heard of- which I love! If you’re into trying new brands and discovering people that truly love their craft- this box is for you. I also love that this box is bi-monthly versus every month. It helps me to savor each box and really get to know the products. Their selections are always cruelty free as well. The products are also free of certain ingredients according to Boxwalla standards. You can find the specific ingredients they avoid here. Another reason I love getting behind this box! Plus, don’t get me started on their actual boxes the products come in- seriously next level. I keep each box and give them to others with gifts in them because they’re so gorgeous! Read below on how their boxes are made. A quote from Boxwalla’s website:
Each box containing Boxwalla goodies is carefully crafted from tree-free handmade paper. A small company in India makes the paper for us, from cotton scraps, using the traditional art of paper-making that involves 9 steps and takes several weeks. The handmade paper is then meticulously fashioned into the boxes that you see in the pictures. The whole process is completely child labor free and employs 63 local villagers and 20 skilled artisans whose families have been making paper for generations. We love supporting socially and environmentally conscious businesses such as these : They craft beautiful products while preserving traditional crafts and skills that would otherwise be completely lost.
Ok, last reason I love supporting Boxwalla, you don’t have to subscribe for more than one month at a time if you don’t want too- amazing! A lot of beauty boxes you have to subscribe for 3 months or more. Not with Boxwalla. You can if you wish but it’s not required.
So now that you know the 411 on this amazing green beauty box, let’s chat about the October Box- because it’s REALLY good!
Say hello to your new favorite serum. But for real. So in the August Boxwalla box we saw the Fleurs de’Afrique, an amazing plant based retinol oil that my skin LOVES! I literally have seen a brightness in my skin and hyper pigmentation fade- no joke. If you got it, then you know what I’m talking about.
Well, this box is the perfect complement to it. It is a gel serum that can be worn under the Fleurs de’Afrique or any other oil serum and helps to plump, hydrate and deliver antioxidants to your skin. I’m starting to wonder what it can’t do! It feels so refreshing and moisturizing on the skin. The biggest takeaways from the serum is how hydrated and rejuvenated my skin feels after using. The fine lines in my skin are all filled in and smooth. It’s really like a primer before I put on my makeup! I can’t get enough.
I apply mine after cleansing and toning. Then I follow with the Fleurs de’AFrique. The serum also contains plant based retinol. Basically, the more you use it and are consistent with it, the more results you will see over time. This box is valued at $160! But you can get it for $49.95- I know crazy! I would hop on this now because word on the street this box will go fast. You can get it until October 10th. Get the box here!
I literally want to try all of African Botanics products- no joke. I have browsed their website and may slightly drool. The amount of attention that goes into them is so amazing. Check out the brand more here.
Have you used subscribed to Boxwalla yet?
Today is going to be a little review of The Golden Hour Podcasts with hosts Suzi and Rose. There have been 13 different health experts in various fields that have been on the podcast. From naturopathic doctors, dermatologists, natural bloggers and medical doctors. There have been so many golden nuggets we’ve gleaned from all the episodes. However, we thought it would be great to recap and review the episodes and share the biggest takeaways from each. Sometimes it’s easy to forget what was shared. It might be a good idea to even go back and listen if you need to.
Connect with Suzi and Rose-
- Episode #2- Dr. Keira Barr a dermatologist shares to do monthly skin checks on yourself on your birthday. Also to get yearly skin checks at a dermatologist.
- Episode #3- Dr. Christine Shaffner shares all about getting to the root cause of any illness. Different tests to get done. Parasites and all about infections.
- Episode #4- Dr. Cates shares her secrets to achieve glowing skin, and the importance of finding the root cause when it comes to skin ailments.
- Episode #5- Dr. Emily Hecker shares her journey with losing weight and how it’s all related to blood sugar. She also discusses histamine.
- Episode #6- Dr. Deanna Mutzel shares the importance of getting back on the health wagon when we fall off, eating for the seasons, and the value of self care.
- Episode #7- Dr. Doni Wilson shares how to manage stress, cortisol and adaptogens.
- Episode #8- Daniel Debaun shares practical tips on how to reduce radiation exposure, and how we just need to implement baby steps.
- Episode #9- Sara Morgan– Shares how to prep body for baby, all about probiotics, and vagina swabbing for c-sections
- Episode #10- Dr. Kendra Becker– Shares how to reduce inflammation in the 4 A’s- Asthma, Allergies, Atopic Dermatitis, and Autism.
- Epsiode #11- Darren Vigil Shares how to build a healthy home and the importance of detoxing your home.
- Episode #12- Kristen Marr Shares the importance of a real food diet, slowing down and cooking meals at home and meal planning and prep.
- Episode #13- Dr. Matt Shares the importance of fitness and staying active, why strength training is good for so many bodily functions and the benefit of accountability partners.
Links Mentioned In The Podcast-
- Kelly Leveque Book, Body Love
- Dr. Trevor Cates Book, Clean Skin from Within
- Dunwoody Lab Tests
- Buddies In My Belly Book and Products by Sara Morgan
Why We Love It?
- Goat whey has demonstrated positive anti-inflammatory effects in the digestive system. Cow whey has shown increased inflammatory effects.
- Cow whey is considered allergenic whereas goat whey is considered hypoallergenic.
- Whey protein is the “gold standard” for serious athletes. Goat whey is the “gold standard” of that “gold standard.”
- Goat whey is amazing for our immune systems, supporting lean muscle growth and repair, as well as optimal body composition.
- Goat whey has the full range of essential amino acids in ratios that best support the athlete in all of us
- It is really light and doesn’t ever makes us feel bloated. That’s because there is nothing added to fill up space, just the purest goat whey and flavoring.
- Activ Whey is a goat whey protein that comes from goats that are grassfed all the way through their lifecycle. There are zero antibiotics or hormones used on the goats or the vegetation they eat from.
- I personally know the creator and can vouch for the legitimacy of the protein and where it is sourced from.
If you did, don’t forget to subscribe on Itunes! And while you’re there, could you please leave us a “golden” review? It would really make our day and help spread the word about healthy living.
To always be in the know when it comes to new episodes, the latest in green beauty, natural living and organic home- be sure to subscribe below!