Sharing my favorite natural cleaning products with you today. I’ve had a lot of people recently ask what I use to clean my house with. It may be because spring is here, and spring cleaning is looming over everyone’s head. I must say I’m a clean freak by nature. Ask my family, they’ll tell you-I can be a little OCD! Oh well, my house is clean. The spring cleaning bug has definitely bit me. I’ve been de-cluttering our place like crazy! My motto: If it doesn’t serve a purpose, toss it. Let’s just say I’ve given away loads of “stuff” these past several weeks and it feels so good.
In the spirit of cleaning, I thought I would share with you my top natural cleaning products. Everything from laundry soap, window cleaner, bleach alternative…well, you get the point. I’ve compiled this list after over 7 years of testing out natural DIY’s, products and everything in between. I finally feel my list meets my standards and is worth sharing. I mean do you know how many laundry soaps I’ve tried in 7 years?! I think I know every DIY recipe out there. I literally changed mine every couple of months.
I have a full list of all my favorites when it comes to cleaning. Below is a list of products you can find from reading this post- it’s chockfull of it all!
Natural Product Swaps-
- Bleach Alternative
- Natural Laundry Detergent
- Window/Mirror Cleaners
- Dish Soap
- Dishwasher Tabs
- Countertop Cleaner
- Bathroom Cleaner
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Natural Dryer Sheet Alternative
- Stainless Steel Cleaner
- Laundry Stain Remover
- Natural Scour Pads
- Natural Hand Soap
What’s Really Lurking In Conventional Cleaning Products?
The sad reality is that we use cleaning products to clean our house but then when we are done they leave behind air pollution and poisons. These are products people use day in and day out and often don’t think twice about. The toxic load they put on the body is downright scary. Not too mention the accumulative affect they have when used over and over. I’m sure you’ve experienced initial affects from using conventional cleaning products, such as being light headed, getting a chemical burn or having watery eyes. However, those are minor in comparison to the long term affects associated with consistent use of conventional cleaning products. Cancer being one of the major downsides to constant exposure of toxic cleaning products.
Ingredients To Avoid In Cleaning Products:
- Perchloroethylene or “PERC”
- Sodium Hydroxide
- Quaternary Ammonium Compounds, or “QUATS”
Parabens- (This includes methyl-, propyl- ethyl-,butyl-) This is an ingredient we see often in beauty products but it’s also found in cleaning products. It’s a hormone disruptor also known as endocrine disruptor. Been known to cause reproductive problems too. Has been found in breast cancer tumors, may cause male infertility and early puberty.
Triclosan- Drying of the skin, skin irritant and has been linked to eczema. Endocrine disruptor and has been found to have 1, 4 dioxane, again cancer causing. Can be found in laundry detergents, hand soaps, dish soaps- anything that gets super sudsy. Avoid any soaps that use the word “antibacterial” on them. They more than likely contain triclosan if they have antibacterial on the label.
Ammonia- Irritation of the eyes, skin and throat. Also can burn the skin when it comes in to contact with it. Excessive exposure may lead to liver and kidney damage. Can be found in bathroom, floor, carpet, glass, upholstery and stain cleaners.
Perchlorethylene of “PERC”- Causes dizziness, headaches, nausea, skin irritations and respiratory issues. Long term effects are neurological problems, liver and kidney damage and cancer. Found in dry cleaning, wood solvents, cleaning solvents, aerosol products and carpet cleaners.
Phthalates- These are found in products that contain fragrance. So many cleaning products contain fragrance. From all purpose cleaners, bathroom cleaners, carpet cleaners, air fresheners, laundry detergent and dryer sheets. They cause hormone disruption, and reproductive issues in males and females.
Sodium Hydroxide- Found in many solvents and cleaners. From oven cleaners to drain cleaners. It can cause burning in the eye, throat and skin.
Chlorine- Bad for the lungs, has been linked to thyroid issues, skin irritations, and linked to dementia in the elderly. Can be found in many disinfectant cleaning products. Chlorine bleach and ammonia are big toxic culprits when it comes to cleaning products. They should not be mixed together. If mixed they form chloramine gases which are toxic to the lungs
Bleach- Found in laundry products, toilet cleaners, many whitening cleaning products, and used as a disinfectant too. Causes skin irritations, respiratory issues, liver and kidney damage. Cannot be mixed with other cleaning products as it can cause serious chemical reactions.
Phenols- These are found in any cleaner that has the word “sol” in it. From solvents, to air fresheners, detergents, flame retardants and disinfectants. Can cause liver and kidney damage, as well as skin irritations and central nervous system damage.
Fragrance- Fragrance is also a huge offender when it comes to conventional cleaning products. Companies try and mask the scent by using artificial fragrance. Artificial fragrance is a recipe for a toxic chemical cocktail. Since fragrance is considered a “trade secret by the FDA, companies don’t have to share what’s in their fragrance. All they have to do is list the word fragrance on a label. So you have no idea what’s actually in a product when you see the word fragrance. As mentioned earlier, phthalates are found in fragrance- another toxic offender.
This is an exert taken from The EWG article, “Not So Sexy.”–
“The average fragrance product tested contained 14 secret chemicals not listed on the label. Among them are chemicals associated with hormone disruption and allergic reactions, and many substances that have not been assessed for safety in personal care products.”
Half the products now are loaded with so much fragrance to mask their smell that it practically knocks you off your feet! Artificial fragrance, in my opinion, is one of the worst things-I can smell it a mile away. Have you ever walked into someone’s house and the first thought was someone must have been cleaning because the scent is so intense? I know I have. That’s artificial fragrance at work.
Quaternary Ammonium Compounds, or “QUATS”- These are found in many disinfectant products. They are meant to kill germs. A lot of people think these are necessary for everyday use but they aren’t. Unless you plan on doing something intense like a medical surgery, you don’t need these for everyday use. They are lung and skin irritants, have shown to cause reproductive problems, and birth defects in mice. These also create superbugs which end up being resistant to other cleaning products and antibiotics.
Something to keep in mind. The cleaning products are bioaccumulative in nature. Since these are chemicals we use all the time, they build up over time. That’s where the real danger comes in as long term affects are not something you want to be dealing with. Isn’t it odd that the very products we use to clean our houses with end up causing us more harm than good in the long run? It’s time to swap out the cleaning products and save yourself from toxic chemical exposure.
So I’ve compiled my complete natural cleaning product guide. I’m sharing what I use and what works when it comes to natural products. Trust me, you won’t even miss your old stuff!
Natural Cleaning Products
Love e-cloth natural microfiber cleaning cloths!
I wanted to give a brief introduction about e-cloth before I continue sharing their products. The basis of e-cloth is that it offers a chemical free cleaning experience using only water. It does this through micro fiber technology, proprietary equipment, and manufacturing techniques. *Also, with many companies on the market offering similar microfiber cloths and products, learn why I chose e-cloth here.
This cloth has been another winner from e-cloth. One side is more grainy and perfect for getting rid of residue, while the other side is smooth for polishing. Both sides remove 99% of bacteria just using water-I love it! I just spray some water onto the stainless steel, then use the grainy side to remove any residue(make sure you go in the direction of your grain so you don’t scratch anything). Then I would use the smooth side to polish. It did clean my stainless steel well, but it didn’t leave it sparkling like I wanted. I contacted e-cloth and asked what the solution might be to get the “sparkle” effect.
They recommended the Glass and Polishing Cloth. So I got that, gave it a try, and bam-my stainless steel sparkled like new! The best part is it not only works for shining up stainless steel, but also for cleaning windows and mirrors. I would spray a little water onto my window or mirror and wipe away. No streaky residue. Are you hearing me people?! There was absolutely no chemical used to clean my stainless steel, windows or mirrors! Let’s just say I struck gold. I also used the Stainless Steel Cloth to clean my granite counters, and my countertops never shined brighter. I highly recommend these two products. They tackle so many cleaning jobs with no chemicals. Plus, no paper towel was wasted, just wash and re-use! Get E-Cloth 2 Glass & Polishing Cloth.
Thieves Household Cleaner
I’ve been loving this all purpose cleaner. I use it for my countertops, floors, bathrooms, dusting- really anything! I love that it not only gets things shiny but actually is disinfecting them as well. It makes everything smell fresh and clean too. You get a bottle of the concentrate and then make your spray. It has lasted me so long! I still have half the bottle left and I use it for everything. I bought the bottle in February and it’s now May. Check it out here!
FAVES: a DIY natural dish soap, to my favorite dishwasher detergent and silicone scrub brush.
I’ve had this mop for over a year and a half and it’s been awesome. I used to have a Shark steam mop. It pushes out really hot steam that cleans your floors. However, I learned that steam can actually get under your wood floors and get moldy. I then was on the hunt for something else and found the Deep Clean Mop.
This mop uses a microfiber cloth to clean the floors. It attached to the mop with velcro. You just get the microfiber cloth wet and then it cleans your floors getting rid of 99% of the bacteria. It is so easy to use! I just throw it in the washer after use. I also will spray some Branch Basics All Purpose Cleaner on the floor as I mop for added benefit. My floors look clean and feel clean! Get it here!
These really work and are clean! They are fragrance free which I love and are so easy to use. Just add one tab to the dishwasher and that’s it. My dishes come out clean and streak free. Plus, as I mentioned they’re super clean- chlorine free, dye free, phosphate free. Made with plant-based mineral ingredients and biodegradable. Get the Ecover Naturally Derived Automatic Dishwasher Tablets!
My favorite natural laundry stain remover and dryer balls instead of fabric sheets.
This dish soap recipe is my fave! It’s so easy to make-literally takes a minute, it’s so effective, and it’s toxin free! Plus, you’re going to save a ton of money, since you’re not buying it pre-made. The recipe uses Sal Suds from Dr. Bronner’s and love it. I also use it for cleaning my floors sometimes when I want a little soap. For the full dish soap recipe head to Live Simply’s Blog here!
Branch Basics All In One Cleaning Kit-
I can’t recommend Branch Basics enough if you’re looking for an all in one cleaning kit to purchase to swap all your toxic cleaning products over to natural ones. They make it so easy! You buy this kit here and then you have one cleaning solution you use to make each bottle of cleaner. You add water and the solution to make each cleaning solution. From window cleaner, all purpose cleaner, laundry detergent, bathroom cleaner and even foaming hand soap. Plus they also have a product called an Oxygen Boost. This can be used to add a little extra grit to heavily soiled laundry, clean tile and grout, get out stains and add a little grit when cleaning bathrooms. Once you’ve used up the solution you just order more solution instead of more bottles. Saving on plastic and waste in the long run. Check out Branch Basics here!
Natural laundry detergent is so important in reducing your overall toxic load.
A couple thoughts on natural laundry detergent. I’ve found different water can effect how well a natural laundry detergent works. Just keep that in mind. Also, if you’re used to using conventional detergents that have so much fragrance in them it knocks you over, be warned that these will NOT be the same. Your clothes might not even smell fresh to you for the first few times because you’re used to synthetic fragrances.
Synthetic fragrance is so strong and can mask a multitude of things. But here’s the thing- it’s completely unnatural and you’re going to have to retrain yourself when it comes to what smells fresh and clean. So don’t give up! Give it time. If you really want some more “smell” to your clothes. Add some pure essential oil drops to some wools dryer balls and add them to your dryer. I’m so used to not having synthetic fragrance around that I can smell it a mile away. Just be aware and don’t throw in the towel. You may just need to retrain your nose to what real scent is! Check out my blog post on artificial fragrance and perfume here- it will make you realize you don’t want to be near synthetic fragrance in anyway.
ECOS OXO Brite-
I love using this for getting toilets white and removing stains from tile. I mix a little with water to form a paste and add it on. I leave it for a while and then come back and scrub it off. I also add it to laundry loads to keep things extra fresh. Works especially great for laundry that is extra soiled. It’s my new favorite cleaning product! It’s the natural alternative to Oxi Clean I tell people. Get it here!
EcoNuts Liquid Laundry Detergent-
This is my newest laundry detergent find! It uses soap nuts to clean your clothes. Not related to a nut at all but a berry tree. Instead of leaving it in berry form they make a liquid that’s more concentrated. I love that it’s in a pump form. I just pump a few pumps into my washer and I’m good to go. It gives my clothes a clean, fresh smell- even towels! Plus, you can get it on Amazon. Check it out here!
Pure Natural Laundry Detergent-
This one is also great! My clothes feel clean but don’t feel like they have a build up on them. My hubs approved too! Really good at getting rid of odors. The company even recommends soaking clothes too for tough stains or smells. They also get their cleaning action from the soap berry. This laundry detergent was actually created by a family that had children that were allergic to conventional detergents. They created Pure as a solution! It’s especially great for sensitive skin. You can even find it on Amazon. Get it here!
Greenshield Organic Laundry Detergent-
I love how easy this is to use. It feels like a conventional detergent without all the questionable ingredients. This also uses soap berries as the cleaning agent. Great for sensitive skin. They have a free and clear version, a lavender version, and even a baby version. My clothes feel clean and fresh. They also feel soft! I want to try their other cleaning products too. Get it here!
I love this detergent! It really works and is completely natural-what more could you ask for? I love the whole concept of using soap nuts. For one they aren’t nuts, but are actually a berry from a tree, how much more natural can you get?! They’re a sustainable resource and grown organically easily, they’re great for sensitive skin, and hypoallergenic. Not to mention they’re 100% bio-degradeable, and completely safe for water systems. If you’re not sold yet, they actually use less water than conventional detergent, are safe for front loading washers, and they cost less per load too. They’re just a pretty amazing little berry!! How does it actually clean your clothes? It takes the saponin contained in the husk of the natural berry, and uses that to wash and get rid of dirt. Yes, even my husband’s stinky workout clothes smell good! My clothes smell fresh, not artificial and they are clean. I’m addicted to this stuff and almost out- it really is some good stuff. Buy it here!
Thieves Laundry Detergent-
I’ve fallen hard for this laundry detergent! It works so well. I had my eye on it for a while and kept putting it off because of the price tag. It retails for around $40 for 32 oz. I knew that wouldn’t last me long. But then my friend filled me in on a secret. You actually dilute the formula into three 32 oz containers! Which had me sold. I can’t recommend this enough if you’ve been searching for a natural laundry detergent that gets your clothes smelling fresh and clean. It gets all the grubby clothes, plus my hubs workout clothes smelling so good. They use enzymes and the power of Thieves essential oil to clean the clothes. Get it here! Also, I am not a sales rep for them but my friend Steph Duford is. She introduced me to Young Living and so if you do buy it, please buy it from her! Her # is 22470440. Thank you!
I like Molly’s Suds but sometimes after a couple months I feel like I need to switch up my laundry detergent and use something else. It feels like my clothes or towels are getting a residue. It could just be me and the water where I live. But just wanted to be honest about my thoughts. I do think they’re great! Nice to have a powder option especially for travel. They even have a liquid now too! I haven’t tried it but will update when I have. Check it out here!
Molly Sud’s Oxygen Whitener-
I really love their Whitener! It works well. The key is to leave your items to soak for a bit. The longer you can leave them soaking in the whitener the better from my experience. This has removed yellow stains from white shirts in the underarm area. It also has removed skincare stains from my white pillow case and freshened my white sheets. Get it! Check it out here!
Puracy Laundry Stain Remover-
This is hands down the best stain remover I’ve ever found! It works so well. At the end of the day my kid’s clothes can look pretty gnarly. This keeps them in tip top shape. I spray it on, let it sit for an hour and then use some water to scrub and get the stain out. As good as new! If you don’t want to wait for the stain remover to set in, no problem. I’ve often just sprayed it on and rubbed it in the stain. It takes a little more elbow grease sometimes but comes out! I’ve also used this on my carpet and it works great too.
I’ve had people ask me about the ingredients before because EWG doesn’t rate it as good. Remember EWG is a computer system and can’t take into consideration all of the things. This is something they missed. Read it here. Get the stain remover on Amazon here!
Wool Dryer Balls-
Say goodbye to fabric softener and fabric sheets. Literally one of the worst things you can use in your house! Filled with toxic chemicals that lead to depression, central nervous system disorder, headaches, dizziness and vomiting. Check out Dr. Axe’s full article here on the dangers of fabric sheets and fabric softeners. If you want your clothes to be static free and have a fresh smell, add some wool dryer balls to your dryer. Add a few drops off essential oil to each wool dryer ball. I like Branch Basics Wool Dryer Balls here!
Natural Scour Pads-
Scrub brushes and scour pads can really load up on germs quick. Most people don’t change out their scrub brush or pad. The germs and bacteria can build up over time, even parasites. My friend Steph from @stephdufordlifestyle shared with me a tip that she does and I’ve been hooked ever since! You buy a large pack of natural scour pads. Then cut them up into 6 or 8 squares each. Then just use one new square for each day and throw away the old one at the end of the day. Then it’s not harboring bacteria but you’re also not going through a sponge a day.
She uses a new one for each meal even. She has multiple allergies in her house so this is not only for sanitation but also safety purposes. I don’t have any family allergies so I just use one square per day. I get these Scotch Brite Natural Scour pads. I buy them in a package from Amazon. The scour pads are made from 50% agave plant and packaging is 100% recycled. I used to buy the Twist scour pads but I can’t seem to find them in bulk anymore. So I’ve resorted to the Scotch Brite Natural Scour pads for now since they come in a pack of 12. I don’t have to buy them for several months after. Get them here!
I LOVE this hand soap! Best organic, natural hand soap I’ve tried…hands down. I’ve struggled with finding a hand soap. It either wasn’t pure, or didn’t foam. This baby does it all, and has the best ingredients. Not to mention, it doesn’t dry out my hands! Everyone needs this in your kitchen and bathroom…trust me. They have them in several scents-they all smell good! Buy it here!
Branch Basics makes it so easy to swap out your conventional products for natural ones.
I’ve also picked up a few other natural cleaning product tips and some DIY’s if that’s our thing!
- Cleaning Microfiber Cloths– I get a separate set of microfiber cloths from Amazon in a pack of 12 or 15 just for cleaning the bathrooms and dusting. I get a different color so I have a set for the kitchen and for bathrooms. Helps keep things more streamlined and then I’m not using the bathroom cloths for the kitchen. Check out the cloths I get here!
- Bleach alternative- I found this recipe on the blog Live Simply. Check out Kristin’s blog-it’s awesome! She has so many great DIY recipes and they actually work. This one is gold! You just mix hydrogen peroxide, washing soda and hot water. I can’t take any credit for it though. I’ve just used it for everything and I’m here to say it works. I typically soak my stuff overnight, not that you need too, I just forget I’m soaking things sometimes…opps! I’ve found it works best for things when done right away. Don’t wait a month, and then decide you want to whiten something…know what I mean? I had these white tea towels that hadn’t ever been whitened, needless to say they were in bad shape. However, they did turn out pretty white with a good soaking…but just get on the soaking asap just for good measure.
- Use the same towels for cleaning each time so there is no need for paper towels. I don’t buy paper towels. However, sometimes there are seasons where my hubs pleads with me to buy some. Usually it’s when we have a baby. Sometimes convenience wins out. I buy Seventh Generation’s recycled paper towels and only allow 1 roll per week. We actually make it longer than a week most of the time. Typically we use these reusable microfiber cloths from Amazon here! Really good deal for a pack of them.
- Here’s a recipe for liquid dish soap I like from the blog Mommypotamus, she really knows her stuff and this one is tried and true, and not full of the nasties.
- Here’s a recipe for dishwasher detergent from the blog Pins and Procrastinations. I’ve tried a ton of these recipes, and this one has seemed to work the best as far a DIY version.
Ok, that’s a wrap for my natural cleaning product faves! I want to hear from you guys! What do you use? Leave me a comment!
If you liked this post on natural cleaning products, check out past posts below:
Sharing the best natural cleaning products on the blog.
Ok, it’s finally here, my Top Natural Deodorant Picks. I’ve been working on this thing for too long, and I’m so excited to finally share it with you guys! Besides sharing my favorite natural alternatives to mainstream deodorants, I really wanted to share the toxic burden mainstream deodorants carry. This is one area of going green that I want to shout from the rooftops! Why? Because everyday people use deodorant, or at least most of us should. Maybe you can get away with every other day, but you get my point. Multiply that by 365 days and you’re rubbing toxins on yourself daily!
So what is this toxic load I speak of? Well, let’s first talk about the biggest offender when it comes to mainstream deodorant, anti-perspirant. What’s in anti-perspirant- aluminum. This toxic ingredient is put in deodorant for the sole purpose of blocking your pores from sweating. In essence so you don’t get wet. There’s a problem though, we were made to sweat, and our body uses sweat as a way to rid ourselves of toxins.
So where does the aluminum go? Into our blood stream, fatty tissue, and can settle into breast tissue. Unlike toxic food that can be broken down once digested, chemicals we put on our body cannot. Instead they find a home in our fat and can wreak havoc. Specifically in breast tissue. A quote from the Journal of Inorganic Bio-chemistry states, “Over 50% of breast cancers start in the upper outer quadrant of the breast local to the underarm region.” Although, that doesn’t equate to aluminum causing breast cancer, it certainly lays a case for it. Plus, it’s not just the application of the antiperspirant but the application onto underarms that have just been shaven. The broken skin makes it even more permeable for the aluminum to get into the body. Why take the risk if you don’t have too?!
And the crazy part about it all? Aluminum isn’t the only toxic ingredient in your mainstream anti-perspirant. Even if you’re using a mainstream deodorant without the aluminum you’re still putting harmful toxins in your body. I can’t forget triclosan, parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol and fragrance. These all do a number in your body too, and I’m not talking a happy number! Your best bet is to make the switch over to a non-toxic deodorant that’s free from all the toxic offenders.
Now, I know this can be a tricky thing to do-trust me. I sweat and I sweat a lot! However, I have picked up some tips to make the transition easier.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL TRANSITION TO A NONTOXIC DEODORANT:
- DRINK WATER– Sounds like a no brainer but not drinking enough water can leave your body stagnat-nothings moving and that’s not good. Make sure you’re drinking enough water for your body weight and having consistent bowel movements.
- CONSIDER YOUR FOOD- Often times what we eat has a direct effect on our smell. If you’re putting junk into your body, i.e. refined sugar, white flour, processed foods etc. then chances are you’re going to smell it too. Eating more leafy greens and fruits causes your body to have a sweeter smell. Also, some foods even if they are healthy can cause you to smell just because of their makeup. Be mindful of when you eat odor causing foods that may take your stench to a whole new level. Avoid these foods for a bit to see if your odor improves.
- EXFOLIATE UNDERARMS- It’s time to slough off all that bacteria and make sure your underarms are clean. Getting rid of the bacteria and creating a clean canvas will help ensure you’re not creating further stench.
- SWEAT- Many people don’t like to hear it but sweating is actually one of the best ways to detox naturally. It pushes the toxins out of your body. I’ve noticed myself I always smell better when I’m consistently getting a good sweat on through some form of exercise. Also, epsom salt baths are great for helping to sweat, as well as saunas. If your glands have been blocked for so many years chances are they have some mucous and bacteria buildup. Remember sweating is a good thing! Your body may even go through a period where you sweat a little more during the transition-totally normal. Your body will adjust.
- CLOTHING- For the first several weeks consider the clothes you wear. Opt for material such as merino wool, bamboo, hemp and cotton-all natural fibers. Avoid synthetic fibers which can trap sweat and help breed bacteria. Choose loose fitting, breathable clothing.
- SWITCH PRODUCTS UP- Change your deodorant after a while. If you notice after several months your deodorant isn’t working anymore-switch it up. Sometimes your body can get accustomed to one and it’s good to switch it up. I’ve had this happen to myself and others have shared the same thing with me.
- WATCH YOUR SHAVE- To avoid irritation, don’t apply your deodorant right after you shave. Since your pores will be open and fresh, it’s best to avoid putting the deodorant on right away. It may cause irritation and redness. Give it some time. If you can, shower the night before and apply in the morning or wait an hour to apply after you shower in the morning. An hour gives your pores a chance to close up.
- DON’T GIVE UP– Just because one natural deodorant doesn’t work or you’re still feeling like you smell, don’t give up! It takes time for your body to acclimate and this may not be a quick fix. Ask around, be diligent de-toxing, and eventually you’ll reap the rewards.
Ok, enough of the nitty gritty. Let’s get to my review of the deodorants. I have some all-stars, and my hub’s favorites. Also, something for every budget! One thing to keep in mind is every person is so different. Deodorant is such a personal choice. What works for one, may not work for another. It could be body chemistry, irritation, or just scent.
FAVORITE NONTOXIC DEODORANTS-
This spray deodorant hits all the marks when it comes to a natural spray deodorant that works!
Where has this deodorant been all my life?! But really. I first tried this in the fall of 2019 and let’s just say I was hooked after I used it for the first time. I remember looking at it when I got it in the mail and thinking there is no way this is going to work. I don’t know about you but spray deodorants have never worked for me- not even conventional ones. That is until I tried Ursa Majors! Wow this deodorant really delivers. When I looked into it more I learned that sage actually helps dry up underarm sweat. It smells fresh but not too potent. I smell good all day. The kicker and what makes it extra special is the fact it doesn’t get all over your clothes! Most deodorants easily leave a residue all over your clothes and deodorant stains. Not this one. And guess what? My hubs absolutely loves it! He said it’s his favorite deodorant to date and asked if I could stock him up. And that’s saying a lot because he’s pretty picky! He loves that it doesn’t stain his clothes. I can’t recommend it enough!
Scent- Sage, geranium, sandalwood and lemon myrtle.
Longevity- Awesome! I smell good all day long.
Ease of Use- SO easy! I love that it is just a spray. Makes it so convenient and quick.
Packaging– Comes in a spray bottle.
Staining- It doesn’t stain! Let me repeat myself- it doesn’t stain!
Irritation- None, if anything it’s better for sensitive underarms because there is no rubbing or chafing.
Baking Soda- None
Shop Ursa Major’s Sublime Sage Deodorant here!
Keeps you feeling fresh all day long!
This is one of my husband’s favorite deodorants-he loves it! It worked well for me too!
Scents- Hoppin’ Fresh, blend of eucalyptus, ginger, rosemary, grapefruit, chamomile and lemon.
Longevity- Good, for me it lasted a solid day and my husband thought it lasted him the whole day easily.
Ease of Use- Awesome, goes on so easy! My hubs kept telling me, this is exactly how a deodorant is supposed to go on. It reminded him of his mainstream deodorant.
Packaging- It comes in a stick form, that’s chubby and round.
Staining- I didn’t notice any on my shirts, my hubs noticed a little on a few shirts but he said it was more on his workout shirts- he’s a sweater! 🙂
Baking Soda- Yes
My hub’s gives this 5 stars easily. A great unisex deodorant. Shop Ursa Major deodorant here!
Primally Pure’s Blue Tansy Deodorant and Charcoal Deodorant have won my heart!
This deodorant is another fave. It gives me the protection and the fresh smell I crave. If you can’t tolerate baking soda well they also have a sensitive version with less baking soda.
Scents- Charcoal, Blue Tansy, Geranium, Lemongrass, Lavender, Tea Tree, Unscented. (Charcoal and Blue Tansy are my faves, my hubs loves the charcoal scent).
Longevity- Great! I can go about two days with this one as well if not exercising.
Ease of Use- Goes on so smooth and easy, no harsh rubbing to get it on.
Packaging- Comes in a stick form that’s BPA free.
Staining- My hubs noticed staining but I didn’t.
Baking Soda- Yes
This is such a great natural deodorant that not only works but is friendlier on the budget as well. Use code: GURLGONEGREEN for 10% off your purchase. Shop here for Primally Pure deodorant!
Goes on so smooth and keeps you smelling like roses all day long!
This deodorant keeps me smelling fresh all day long. I love how creamy it is. I don’t care for the other scents- except for the men’s deodorant- holiMan(my hubs loves it). But this holi(Rose) is so good!
Scents- holi(Rose) smells like roses but in an old grandma kind of way. holi(man)- vetiver, rose, sandalwood, leathery cistus and warm cedarwood.
Longevity- Awesome- smell fresh all day long. Both my hubs and I.
Ease of Use- Great! It goes on so smooth, very creamy.
Packaging- Comes in a stick form.
Staining- It does stain if I’m sweating profusely. I noticed in the summer months more and my hubs noticed some as well.
Baking Soda- Yes
Definitely a great all around natural deodorant that works! Shop here for men’s deodorant! Shop here for women’s deodorant!
A great budget friendly natural deodorant option!
This deodorant is a rock star in my book for many reasons. I’ve been using it for over 5 years. It keeps me smelling fresh for more than one day. I usually squeeze two days out of it if I’m not exercising.
Scents- Lavender or Unscented (like them both)
Longevity- Amazing, best I’ve found.
Ease of Use- Good, sometimes it will get a little hard on top but for the most part good.
Packaging- Comes in a stick form. BPA-free recyclable container.
Staining- My hubs noticed staining on his shirts and I noticed some on a few shirts.
Irritation- None, not ever!
Baking Soda- Yes
Price- $7.99 for 1oz. 2.7oz. for $14
Have you guys tried any of these? Any that you really like I didn’t mention? I would love to hear what you’ve been using! Leave me a comment below.
Sharing my favorite nontoxic aluminum free deodorants on the blog.
I’m so excited to bring you my holiday natural beauty and living sales! I’m giving you early access to some of the best deals in clean beauty, and natural living. It’s nice to shop the sales early and get a head start on holiday shopping. I’ve teamed up with some of my favorite natural living brands to bring you an epic week of savings!
Here’s How It Will Work-
For the next week I’ll be highlighting each day one of my favorite companies or brands, from natural beauty to natural living. The code will only be good for one day! So you need to hop on the savings. Each day along with the coupon code I’ll be sharing my favorite products from that brand or store. Sometimes it can seem overwhelming to know what to buy- this makes it so easy! I’ll be updating the blog everyday with a new brand, or store and the products.
Also, I’ll be sending an email out everyday with all the details of the particular deal for that day. So you won’t miss anything. If you’re not subscribed to my email list, subscribe here! You will be the first to know about the deal of the day!
Be sure to keep checking back each day to save big on the holiday natural beauty and living sales!
Best natural beauty lip product!
This is your one stop shop for all things clean beauty! They literally have it all. SO many clean beauty brands. From natural makeup, natural skincare, organic hair products and even baby products. This online natural beauty store has been around since 2011. I love their name- Integrity. They really strive to choose products that are not only clean but also environmentally friendly. Products that work and are good for you and your family. You also always get 3 free samples with every order! Remember the deal is only good for today- November 18th!
Integrity Botanicals Is Offering:
15% off $100 with code: GGG15
20% off $200 with code: GGG20
Only good for Nov. 18th!!
*Discount excludes the following brands: Josh Rosebrook, La Bella Figura, Laurel, Osmia, May Lindstrom, Kypris and Vintner’s Daughter.
Here are some favorites from Integrity Botanicals:
- Fitglow Beauty- To try a Fitglow product is to love it. I love that Integrity Botanicals carries their line. Many natural beauty stores do not. I love their Lip Serums, seriously the best lip product! I always have the colors Bliss, Gospel and Koi on hand. I also love their concealer. It’s the best concealer for covering hyper pigmentation and redness. Their Redness Rescue Cream is amazing too! Shop Fitglow Beauty here!
- Chocolate Sun- I love this self tanner! It was the first in natural beauty that really performed and didn’t smell funky. It gives me a bronzed glow and looks so natural. Shop Chocolate Sun here!
- Kjaer Weis- I love their eyeshadows- they have some of the best true matte shadows. I also love their lipsticks and cream blushes. The pigments are so pretty and they last! Shop Kjaer Weis here!
So excited to share a special deal of the day with Pharmaca!! Pharmaca carries it all in one place. It’s not some retailer selling random things. They carry all the big name green beauty brands, natural living brands and supplement brands. Plus, their selection is amazing! So you can shop all in one place. No more going back and forth between websites. They carry herbs, clean beauty, collagen powders, natural home products, natural baby and more. They also always are offering free shipping after $45!
Pharmaca is offering:
25% off!!! Use Code: GURL25
Only good for Nov. 19th!!
(All coupon code promotions exclude Alacer, Aquis, Bluebonnet, Burt’s Bees, Culturelle, Derma E, Dr. Hauschka, Dr. Mercola, Eminence Organics, evanhealy, Frownies, Indie Lee, Integrative Therapeutics, Intelligent Nutrients, jane iredale, Lavido, Metagenics, Natura Health Products, NeoCell, NeuroScience, Nordic Naturals, One Love Organics, Ortho Molecular, Peter Lamas, Pharmax, Pure Encapsulations, Sanitas Skincare, Sigma-Tau, Thorne Research, Vega, Visbiome, Vital Nutrients or VSL).
Here are some of my favorites from Pharmaca:
- Stasher Bags- If you’ve followed me for a hot minute you know I’m a huge fan of these silicone bags! Can’t go wrong with them. They are made of silicone and not plastic, so you’re not wasting plastic bags and you’re helping the environment by not using plastic-a win/win! I store anything and everything in them. I put them in the freezer too! There really isn’t a wrong way to use them. I love that they’re dishwasher safe too! Shop Stasher here!
- Juice Beauty Products- They not only are natural but budget friendly. I love their mineral sport sunscreen with SPF 30. I also love their Last Looks Cream Blush, Tinted Mineral Moisturizer and their Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant. Shop Juice Beauty here!
- ZuZu Luxe- I love their makeup! From their lipsticks, lip liners, oil-free foundation, mascara and liquid liners. They have some of the best budget friendly natural makeup! Shop ZuZu Luxe here!
Live Botanical Is Offering:
Live Botanical has become a gold mine as I’ve tried more products. It’s not often I find products that not only are clean, but also effective and budget friendly. People are constantly asking what options I would recommend that are less expensive and it can be hard. Sometimes you have to sacrifice performance, however, not with Live Botanical. I think that’s why I initially got so jazzed about it. I saw that not only was the line organic, non-GMO, ethically wild-harvested, local, sustainable and fair trade but budget friendly. She really goes the extra mile. She also uses glass packaging too-something I swoon over. I mean it’s kind of rare to check all the boxes but also be affordable!
25% OFF!!! Use Coupon Code: GURLGONEGREEN25
Only good for Nov. 20th!!
Here are some of my favorites from Live Botanical:
- Glowing Honey Mask- I love this mask! It makes my skin glow in minutes- no joke! It apply it all over in the morning and then grab my toothbrush and then rinse off once I’m done brushing my teeth. It feels so hydrating and soothing to the skin. It gives a slight exfoliation too with herbal grains. The raw honey in this mask draws moisture to the skin while soaking up all the excess oils at the same time. What I love is that this mask can be used daily as a cleanser or as a mask a couple times a week. It really lives up to it’s name: Glowing Mask. Get Glowing Honey Mask here!
- First Light Brightening Oil Serum- This serum is gold! It leaves my skin feeling hydrated, and glowing. I apply it on at night and in the morning before my makeup. Love the smell too! It’s one of my new faves from the line. Get the First Light Brightening Oil Serum here!
- Skin Repair Balm- First, the Skin Repair Balm is such an amazing multi-use product. I’ve used it as a cleansing balm, hydrator and to help heal and relive pain from a burn. One of the ingredients I love in the balm is yarrow-a powerful anti-inflammatory. As a cleansing balm it removes all my makeup and leaves my skin feeling hydrated and supple. I wake up with perfectly moisturized skin. I put it on a hot water burn and it instantly took away the throbbing pain. I’m wondering what this little jar can’t do?! Get the skin repair balm here!
This is your one stop shop for all things organic bedding! These sheets are what luxury is made of! They are made with fair trade certified cotton, and certified organic cotton. The second party certifications include GOTS, Oeko-Tex and FLOCERT- a global fair trade certification. These 300 thread count cotton sheets wrap you up in softness the minute they touch your skin! They come in a variety of colors too. We chose white and are happy with how crisp and clean they look. They also have 3 different sheet sets. You can get a hemmed version, classic or pleated. We got the hemmed version. Each set comes with two pillow cases, a fitted sheet and a flat sheet. And yes they stay on our mattress too! They also come in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King and Split King. Can’t say enough about these luxury sheets. They also offer organic duvet covers and bedroom sets that include the duvet and sheet set. I have their duvet and love it! My girls also just got a duvet as well.
SOL Organics is offering 30% off with coupon code: GGG30!
Only good for Nov. 21st!
Here are some of our favorites from SOL Organics:
- Organic Down Comforter- We have the summer down fill and love it. It has 600 fill, compared to the all season 700 fill. Making it a little less heavy. It’s filled with 100% Canadian White Down, that’s responsibly grown and harvested. It is also 100% GOTS cotton down proof. It has an even fill and is hypoallergenic. I love how it lays flat and even, something that my last didn’t do. Shop the Down Comforter here!
- Sateen Sheets- We have the sateen sheets and love them! They come in a variety of colors and styles. We chose the hemmed version. Shop the Sateen Sheets here!
- Percale Sheets- These sheets are perfect for summer months or if you live somewhere warmer. Shop the Percale Sheets here.
Day 5- White Lotus Home
They are an online store that offers pure and natural mattresses, bedding, and home furnishings all made in the USA. It’s your one stop shop to clean up your bedroom! When I was choosing my pillow options to try out they were so helpful. Walking me through the whole process and asking questions to ensure I had the best options for how I sleep. We have a mattress from them and pillows and love both!
White Lotus Home Is Offering:
25% off using coupon code: GGG25
Only good for Nov. 22!
Here are some of my favorites from White Lotus Home:
- Kapok Pillow- A great option for a side or back sleeper. This one felt light on the head and not as firm as the cotton. I like how it molded to my head after a while and didn’t feel as firm as it did in the beginning. It seemed more breathable than my cotton one too. The pillow we got to try was a travel pillow so it was a little harder to get an accurate idea of what a kapok pillow might be like since the pillow itself is smaller but overall I was happy with it. I think the next time I order one I would order a kapok pillow. I’ve been letting my 22 month old use the travel size pillow and she loves it! It’s the perfect size for a toddler pillow. The kapok pillows are also more budget friendly compared to the other two options above. Check it out here!
- Organic Cotton and Wool Dreamton Mattress- This is the mattress one of my daughter’s has and we love it and she seems to do great in it. Super soft and durable. It’s especially great for toddler beds because it doesn’t have a boxspring. No fire retardants, pesticides, VOC’s. Love knowing she’s sleeping on something nontoxic. Check it out here!
Day 6- The Choosy Chick-
This is a family friendly online organic beauty store. They offer something for the whole family, from women, men, baby and kids. Love getting Earth Mama Organics from them and Pleni Naturals. Margot is a mom of four kids and is passionate about sourcing truly clean products. I love being able to get my products from them as well as baby products and men’s products.
The Choosy Chick is offering:
15% off using coupon code: GURLGONEGREEN + For anyone that enters the code you get a free Q Eco Coin Purse!
Only good for Nov. 23rd!
They are offering a Green Glam Box! It is a Limited Edition collection of bestsellers $143 value for $99 (codes are not applicable to this though) Makes a beautiful gift and they can personalize a gift tag (leave them a note on the cart page).
Here are some of my favorites from The Choosy Chick-
- Quick Flick- This is a genius product! It’s a stamp on one end and then the other end is similar to a sharpie marker tip- so easy to use compared to the paint brush applicators out there. You just stamp it on your eye to create that winged look and then you can fill it in with the other side- so amazing! It stays on great too! Get it here.
- Eco Tan- I love this self tanner for body and for face. It looks so natural and doesn’t smell funky. Can’t recommend it enough! Who doesn’t want to look bronzed in the winter?! Get it here!
- Kosmatology Hand Soaps- I love these hand soaps! They are literally the best in clean beauty. They smell good and are squeaky clean. I also love that they’re foaming soaps. My hands never get dried out. Get them here!
Day 7- Maya Chia-
What makes Maya Chia SO special?? I thought you would never ask! Well, so many reasons. It’s just really good skincare for starters, but there’s so many other things that set them apart. The all star ingredient in Maya Chia is the supercritical chia oil. Not only is chia oil heralded for it’s fast absorbing ability, but also for it’s antioxidants, minerals, and omega’s- a skin’s dream team! You can say bye to fine lines and wrinkles. Plus, it has clinically been proven to increase hydration. I first fell in love with The Supercouple Serum and then after that it was every other product I tried! You could say the products are in a league of their own.
Maya Chia is offering:
15% OFF using coupon code: GGG15
Only good for Sunday November 24th!
Here are some favorites from Maya Chia:
- The Supercouple Serum- Ok, so this is the serum that started my infatuation with Maya Chia! So why all the fuss? Well, for starters it melts right into your skin. No oily residue at all. Perfect for at night, and during the day before makeup. I have this one spot on my left cheek side and it has some hyper pigmentation and it faded quite a bit after I had been using Maya Chia. My skin looked less red and just overall smooth. Trust me when I say I get a lot of product to sample as a beauty blogger, so when I actually go through a product it’s a big deal. It has the same anti-aging benefits as the Super Blend-Pressed Serum Moisture Concentrate. Filled with vitamin C, CoQ10 and the beloved antioxidant asthaxanthin. This serum doesn’t mess around and truly delivers! Great for even the most sensitive skin types. Get it here!
- The Pure Supercritical Omega-3 Chia Oil- So I tried this oil after trying The Super Couple. I had lower expectations- is that wrong? I mean I was so impressed with The Super Couple. But I must admit this serum, completely amazing too. It’s heavier feeling and more moisturizing than The Super Couple Serum. Especially great for those with dry skin that can’t quite get hydrated. It also works amazing on fine lines. Although it is heavier, it still absorbs so well. Your skin feels plump and soft. Even a dry patch around my nose didn’t stand a chance with this oil. It calmed even my normal redness around my t-zone I get. A rich, extremely hydrating oil, that absorbs quickly, doesn’t feel greasy, and makes you look younger…what are you waiting for?! This is great for even the most sensitive skin too. Get it here!
- Highlight Of The Day- My Maya Chia review wouldn’t be complete without talking about these little guys! Where do I start?! I’ve fallen hard for them. So what is The Highlight of The Day? It is this bottle filled with liquid radiance- I know sounds too good to be true, but it’s not. You apply it really however you want! I love applying mine on my upper cheek bone, bridge of my nose, in the upper middle section of my brows, cupid’s bow, and middle of chin. All the normal places you would use a traditional highlighter. You can even apply it on the inner corners of your eyes to wake them up. You can apply it over your foundation or mix it with your foundation or just where it by itself. I’ve done them all, and love the effect it gives. You literally look like your lit from within. Check out all the colors here!
- The Optimist- This gem is housed in a dark glass bottle, preserving every last drop of goodness. Smells divine with hints of neroli, sweet orange, and ylang ylang. The formula itself feels so hydrating on the skin and refreshing with white tea, antioxidants, fatty acids and phytonutrients- just to name a few. I can’t forget the actual spray function. It works so well! I know it might sound funny, but after trying hundreds of mists in my day, the spray function is actually quite important. You don’t want the mist to feel like it’s attacking your skin or spraying you in the eye! The Optimist sprays so well all over the face. The founder Susanne nailed it! Get it here!
Aillea is your one stop shop when it comes to natural beauty. They have everything when it comes to natural beauty products! I love being able to get my fave deodorant and also my favorite foundation and lipstick all in the same place. They are having a stellar sale- don’t miss out!
Aillea is offering:
20% OFF!!! Use coupon code: GGG20
*There are a few brand exclusions: Kypris, May Lindstrom, Vintner’s + Josh Rosebrook. It will not work for gift cards or for the Holiday Beauty Bags.
Only good for Monday November 25th!
Here are some favorites from Aillea-
- Aila Nail Polish- This is my favorite natural nail polish. It’s clean and they have it in so many colors. They even have a top coat that rates a 1 on EWG called Better Than Gel. Check out the colors Bodega, Room 212 and Namaste, some of my faves! Check them out here!
- Ilia- I love Ilia’s makeup! From their highlighters to their foundation, lip conditioners. There really isn’t a bad product. They’re natural but perform like conventional beauty products. Check them out here!
- Agent Nateur- This is one of my favorite natural deodorants. Specifically their Holi Rose. It performs so well and leaves me smelling fresh! Check it out here!
*Check back everyday for the next week for all the holiday natural beauty and living sales!
Sharing all the deals for natural beauty and natural living for the holidays.