We are at it again with the best of clean beauty 2018! My girl Lisa from the blog This Organic Girl and I are dishing up our faves this year in clean and natural beauty. This is our third year in a row and the post always seems to be a crowd favorite.
Join the 5 Day Clean Living Challenge and start living your best natural life!
I’m going to give you a quick run down on some past favorites too that we can’t stope reaching for, plus some personal picks that I’ve tried and Lisa hasn’t. But before I do, I wanted to share a little about two places that keep me well stocked when it comes to clean and natural beauty products.
The first is The Detox Market–
Just some of the clean beauty you can find at detox market!
This was the very first green beauty store I shopped at. I still remember angels singing when I visited the actual store in L.A. Ok, maybe angels weren’t singing but it felt like I had arrived in green beauty heaven! They have ALL the brands and more. You want some Josh Rosebrook- they’ve got you covered. Need some Osmia Organics in your life, sister they have it. Want some Odacite? No problem- they have the whole line. It’s your one stop shop for all things natural beauty! They have a list of ingredient standards, which lists ingredients they don’t allow in their formulations, so you can be sure your products are squeaky clean.
I remember hearing about their pop up shop in 2010- I was salivating to go! It was at the same time I had started to detox my beauty products. It’s so crazy to think where The Detox Market is today! There’s so many natural options, compared to 8 years ago. I love their mission on educating the consumer and bringing awareness. Forever a Detox Market fan! You can basically get any clean beauty product from their store.
Also, I love Boxwalla!
Love this clean beauty box by Boxwalla. It hits all the marks when it comes to a clean beauty box.
This is a clean beauty box that you can get bi-monthly. In case you’re not familiar with Boxwalla– allow me to introduce you. This box delivers some of the best of green beauty. I find that’s what sets them apart from other green beauty boxes is their thoughtful curations. I always find they go out on a limb and really find brands and artisans that I haven’t heard of- which I love! If you’re into trying new brands and discovering people that truly love their craft- this box is for you. I also love that this box is bi-monthly versus every month. It helps me to savor each box and really get to know the products. Their selections are always cruelty free as well. The products are also free of certain ingredients according to Boxwalla standards. You can find the specific ingredients they avoid here. Another reason I love getting behind this box! Plus, don’t get me started on their actual boxes the products come in- seriously next level. I keep each box and give them to others with gifts in them because they’re so gorgeous! Read below on how their boxes are made. A quote from Boxwalla’s website:
Each box containing Boxwalla goodies is carefully crafted from tree-free handmade paper. A small company in India makes the paper for us, from cotton scraps, using the traditional art of paper-making that involves 9 steps and takes several weeks. The handmade paper is then meticulously fashioned into the boxes that you see in the pictures. The whole process is completely child labor free and employs 63 local villagers and 20 skilled artisans whose families have been making paper for generations. We love supporting socially and environmentally conscious businesses such as these: They craft beautiful products while preserving traditional crafts and skills that would otherwise be completely lost.
If you want to start the new year off right and start discovering the best of green beauty, sign up for a Boxwalla box here!
Here are past favorites of Lisa and I that we can’t get away from:
Lisa and I wearing the beloved Mermaid Mask by Leahlani skincare.
Ok, on to the BEST OF CLEAN BEAUTY 2018!
- Moss Skincare Beurre Céleste Honey Antioxidant Infusion Recovery Mask in Cleansing Baume- It was love at first swipe when I used this cleansing mask/balm. It comes in a balm form and quickly melts in your hands and removes makeup and grime so effortlessly. Your skin feels so clean, and not stripped in any way. I often use it in the mornings and leave it on my skin while I brush my teeth. Such a unique formula too because it’s completely waterless- so no preservative!
- African Botanics Fleurs de’Afrique- An amazing plant based retinol oil that my skin LOVES! I literally have seen a brightness in my skin and hyper pigmentation fade- no joke. If you got it, then you know what I’m talking about. I discovered this in a Boxwalla box- they are always dishing out the good stuff.
- Kosas Lipstick- These lipsticks are the best. To own a Kosas lipstick is to love it! These are pigmented, long lasting and moisturizing. I almost have all 8 colors in the collection and there isn’t a bad color.
- Odacite Lip Serum- I had never used a lip serum like this on my lips until Odacite’s. It helps to hydrate, minimize fine lines on the lips and plump. I love applying as my last step in my skincare routine. My lip’s nightly nightcap!
- Laurel Sun Damage Repair Serum- This is a serum and oil in one that helps to repair sun damaged skin. The formula contains 27 whole organic plants! It helps to reverse the signs of aging that the sun brings. It also helps to brighten and fade age spots. The oil feels richer on the skin but it also seeps right in. When I used it I noticed a decrease in overall redness, faded sun spots and clearer skin tone.
- Khus Khus Modern Herbal Fusion + RASA Restorative Potion- This is such a unique body cream. Not only does it contain adaptogenic herbs but Ayurvedic and Western nervine herbs as well. It helps to bring a calm to the nervous system. It feels so soothing and healing! Plus, my skin feels so hydrated as well.
- True Botanicals Cellular Repair Serum, Antioxidant Booster and Vitamin C Booster- The Cellular Repair Serum is designed to reverse the cellular damage caused by sun exposure and aging. Pretty sure everyone wants to sign up for that-am I right?! Besides reversing cellular damage it also replenishes moisture and plumps up skin. It’s highly concentrated and goes past the surface of the skin to really get to the cellular level. This Vitamin C Booster treatment is preserved in it’s freshest form. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps to even skin tone, brighten and fade wrinkles, stimulate collagen, plus firm and repair skin. I mean every face needs this stuff. You might be wondering why it comes in a powder form. When vitamin c is mixed with a liquid it slowly loses potency. By keeping it in powder form you can be assured it’s in it’s freshest form. The Antioxidant Booster is similar to the Vitamin C Booster but it uses apple peel powder instead, which has actually been shown to be more powerful then Vitamin C! It helps brighten dark spots, even out skin tone and firm skin.
- Sappho Brow Pomade- When my beloved brow cream that I had been using for a couple year from Hynt was reformulated I was back to the drawing board to find one that worked just as good! Thankfully Sappho answered my prayers. This works so well. Leaves my brows looking natural and so easy to apply. I wear the color dark brown black.
- Honest Beauty Mascara- If you’ve followed me for a hot minute you know I’m OBSESSED with this mascara! It’s the best I’ve found in green beauty. It gives my lashed definition, length and drama. Plus, you can get it on Amazon and it’s under $15! I know- we hit the jackpot with this one.
- Osmia Body Oil- I can’t get enough of Osmia’s Body Oil. It’s like the biggest drink of water for your body. Your skin will thank you and so will your mind as you wrap yourself in this goodness. I apply mine right out of the shower or bath and my skin stays silky smooth all day. I love the Night Oil scent- with notes of lavender, roman chamomile and atlas cedarwood. But if you don’t like scent you would love their naked oil- it has no essential oils in it.
- Maya Chia The Optimist Hydrating Essence- I get SO excited for any new Maya Chia product and The Optimist was no exception. This gem is housed in a dark glass bottle, preserving every last drop of goodness. Smells divine with hints of neroli, sweet orange, and ylang ylang. The formula itself feels so hydrating on the skin and refreshing with white tea, antioxidants, fatty acids and phytonutrients- just to name a few. I can’t forget the actual spray function. It works so well! I know it might sound funny, but after truing hundreds of mists in my day, the spray function is actually quite important. You don’t want the mist to feel like it’s attacking your skin or spraying you in the eye! The Optimist sprays so well all over the face. The founder Susanne nailed it!
Honest Beauty Mascara is my favorite green beauty mascara.
Here are some favorites of mine that I discovered this year and I can’t not share:
- Beautycounter’s Face Wipes- These wipes are the best I’ve found in green beauty. They offer the perfect amount of moisture, and they remove all my makeup! Plus, they’re biodegradeable.
- Beauty counter’s Eye shadows- I love these shadows. They get the best eye shadow award in clean beauty hands down! They are so pigmented, go on smooth and stay on forever- the whole day. Trust me- you will be hooked once you use them. They are having a sale right now for 30% off their holiday eye palettes too!
- Beautycounter’s Eye Makeup Remover- Ok, I seriously was so excited when I tried this eye makeup remover. All you Mary Kay fans will get me. Back in the day I used to be big Mary Kay Eye Makeup Remover devotee. It was the best I found and since I stopped using it I’ve never even able to find a replacement. Until now! This eye makeup remover works like a charm- can’t say it enough. If you like having an eye makeup remover- you’ll love this!
- Ilia Eye Primer- I have finally found my favorite eye primer in clean beauty! This magic little wand does not mess around. It keeps my eye shadows in place the whole day, no creasing, or smudging. I can’t recommend it enough.
- Tata Harper’s Clarifying Mask- I had tried this once before this year but nothing more. It had been a small sample. Then I got a full jar and lets just say, it quickly dwindled! This helps purify pores, detoxify the skin and leave you with an overall glow. Can’t get enough!
That’s it for The Best Of Clean Beauty 2018! Want to see what The Best Of Clean Beauty 2016 and 2017 was? Check out 2016 here and 2017 here.
Go check out my girl Lisa’s take on all our faves, plus see what 5 products she discovered this year!
*Also don’t forget to check out our Instagram pages @gurlgonegreen and @thisorganicgirl to enter to win over $500 worth of clean beauty loot!
See any faves?
In episode #22 we are learning how to naturally heal acne with Marissa Gossett. Marissa is an acne-overcomer, skin therapist, indie wellness researcher, and champion-of-women dedicated to helping you achieve the skin of your dreams! She’s born-and-raised a Southern California girl with nothing more than a few unpopular ideas and an Instagram account, she proudly created a new way to see skin imbalances so that women can stop dreading their faces and start living wholeheartedly. Beginning skin coaching with only a few desperate/courageous women (who found her on Instgram though hashtags!), she now receive multiple breakthroughskin pictures weekly! She wants women, like you, to see their skin in a whole new light and find their holy grail regimen and lifestyle habits that reveal their skin’s most glowing potential.
One of the things she’s often asked is “What are you going to tell me my dermatologist, esthetician, and the internet hasn’t told me?” For as long as she can remember, she’s always been curious about the mysteries of human wellness, especially in regards to skin, because that has been where she’s struggled. Why do some women live unhealthy lives and manage to have zero breakouts? Why do others live very healthily and struggle with lifelong acne? The answer: modern skin treatment removes and destroys, yet true skin treatment feeds and nourishes. She believes that no matter where you are on your skin journey, it’s ultimately up to you to change your skin. Clear skin gives you the freedom to be the truest version of yourself.
Connect With Marissa:
- Who is Marissa Gossett and how did you end up as a skin therapist and acne expert
- Health awakening that inspired Marissa to take action in her own health
- Philosophy when it comes to skincare
- What the common theme is when it comes to acne
- How epigenetics affect your skin
- What she recommends for those wanting to get clear skin and get rid of acne
- Does gut play a role in causing acne
- Types of products she recommends for acne clients
- Why people should avoid comedogenic ingredients
- Common misconceptions about natural beauty products and acne
- Basic skincare routine for those with acne
- Why you should avoid dermaplaning, peels, and hydrafacials
- 3 health habits that have made the biggest impact on your life
It’s the start of a new month and with it brings another Beauty Heroes Discovery! This month it’s all about the luxurious Austrian skincare line Max and Me. I had never tried Max and Me until my Beauty Heroes box this month. I was so elated to see the brand in the box and learn all about what makes them so special. It truly is a unique brand, from their name, to the actual product. Before I dive into this month’s Beauty Hero, if you’re not familiar with Beauty Heroes keep reading below for all the details and why this beauty box delivers month after month.
Beauty Heroes was founded by Jeannie Jarnot. A longtime spa director herself and healthy beauty expert. I had the pleasure of meeting Jeannie at IBE, and she is truly one of the sweetest people. Beauty Heroes is a monthly beauty service that selects only the best clean beauty brands. Each month you can find one to two full size truly heroic products in each box. The products typically range from skincare to haircare products. However, every 3 months Beauty Heroes offers a makeup box as well that’s optional for members or non-members. I absolutely love their “Use Less, Love More” philosophy. By only getting one or two products, you allow yourself to truly experience them. Of course you can trust their picks, as they are strict on their integrity standards. What’s not to love about this whole concept? As a Beauty Heroes Ambassador, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to be part of such a movement.
Ok, now I can gush about this month’s Beauty Hero product!
First, I must explain a little more about Max and Me. Max and Me is a husband and wife team, Max and Tanja Gruber. The name, Max and Me, really is a representation of their love for each other. Their hope is that you feel the product in your whole being and feel the vibrations of it as you use it. It truly is an experience! You feel their sweet and tender love story coming through the product, and you can’t help but be grateful for your own loves that surround you.
Their passion is so evident in their products and ingredients as well. With organic and wildcrafted ingredients that perform to the highest standards. In the end, they even go beyond organic! Here is an exert from their website-
Max and Tanja lovingly source ingredients only from farmers, cooperatives and distillers who carefully harvest wild plants, or practice organic farming, in harmony with nature its seasons and its rhythm. We need them to consider plants as beings of light that are respected and revered.
The line is blended by hand in small artisan batches, making sure no detail is spared. After blending by hand, they are then bottled in violet/amber glasses to preserve and protect it. I loved reading that their whole process of creating and manufacturing Max and Me takes place in the midst of a flower garden-how appropriate. The care and attention to detail of this line is truly special.
The heroic product among the Max and Me line is the Circle of Protection. It’s a body oil, but it’s hard to even call it “just” a body oil. It really is something so much more. The ingredients include some of the best organic oils. From argan, rosehip, marula and magnolia, just to name a few. The oil is thicker in consistency but not greasy feeling at all. It goes on smooth and doesn’t leave a weird residue. Your skin feels perfectly hydrated and not wet feeling. I have to tell you about the smell-so wonderful! With notes of jasmine, geranium, and rose that literally awaken your senses and uplift you. It isn’t a strong smell at all. I can lightly smell it throughout the day, which I love. I apply mine after the shower once I’ve towel dried off. My pores in my skin are open from the warm shower and they drink in this beautiful oil. Suffice to say I can’t get enough!
The sidekicks this month are a travel size Circle of Protection and a sample of Max and Me’s award winning Enchanted Face oil. The travel size can be given to someone special whom you want to experience the amazing oil or you can savor it for yourself and use it for travel. I’m going to gift mine to my mom with her Mother’s Day gift. She is the epitome of love and grace and I couldn’t think of a better oil for her to enjoy. The Enchanted Face Oil is another all star product among the Max and Me line. It got me addicted just long enough to realize how amazing it is and how much more I wanted of it! The oil smells so wonderful! I smell notes of rose, sandalwood, jasmine and lavender. The organic oils in the facial oil are some of the best. Including some of my favorite facial oils of argan, marula, pomegranate, primrose and macadamia oil. These oils work together to regenerate, protect and soothe the skin. It feels so rich going on and leaves your skin feeling balanced and moisturized. A rare and exquisite facial oil.
This month it’s all about the Circle of Protection and Beauty Heroes and Max and Me have created a unique opportunity for a global meditation. For more information and how to be a part, read more here.
Also, be sure to check out the Beauty Store here for all the best of green beauty. Every month Beauty Heroes offers a Love More Promotion. This offer is for non-members and members. This month’s Love More product is Ojai Wild’s Perfume. It’s a travel set of Ojai Wild’s perfume when you spend $125+ in the Beauty Store. ($42 value)
If you haven’t subscribed to Beauty Heroes this is the month-get on it! Have I mentioned the value you get in a Beauty Heroes Box? It’s crazy! This box alone was $95 in value. When you sign up for Beauty Heroes initially you pay for 3 months, which is $115. Which averages out to $38.33 a month…so you’re already paying for your first month’s box if you joined this month! I’m not a math wizard but that’s a deal. And you’re getting the best of the best every month in green beauty. Sign up here!
Have you used Max and Me in the past?
This month’s Beauty Heroe’s box is SO special-I couldn’t wait to share it with you guys! Josh Rosebrook is a genius and his products speak for themselves. If you’ve been reading my blog long enough you know I’m a fan of his products. This month his Cacao Antioxidant Mask takes center stage as hero of the month! I was already a huge fan of this mask and was just so jazzed to see it in this month’s box. This mask is what started it all for Josh. After experimenting with cacao, he noticed a significant improvement in his skin. His clients noticed as well and for good reason!
I love Josh’s whole approach to skincare. It’s all about supporting the skin’s natural ability to heal itself. Giving it what it needs so that it can repair on it’s own. Not a quick fix like many would want, but a process of letting your skin regenerate as it was meant too. This happens by supporting the skin with herbs, nuts, fruit, seeds, plants, leaves, and flowers. These natural resources offer similar phytonutrients found in the body and help facilitate the skin’s ability to heal thorough cell turnover. Josh believes in a five step process: Cleanse, exfoliate, hydrate, moisturize and protect-I couldn’t agree more! You can’t have one without the other. They are all connected and help the skin to become the best version of itself. I have seen for myself the amazing transformation skin can take when nourished and given time-can you say glow?!
This month’s hero is not a new hero to me. I’ve been using Josh’s Cacao Antioxidant Mask for a while and have fallen hard for it. First, it comes in this chic glass jar. You open it and instantly get a whiff of rich cacao-just like the name suggests. I’m in love! It looks like dark rich frosting but not the kind you eat. This decadence is the kind you apply to your face. Before application I mist Josh’s Hydrating Accelerator over my face. Leaving my skin dewy and ready for masking. I just use a spoon to apply some of the mask on the back of my hand and then use my fingers to apply to my face. I’ve found the formula is too thick for a brush. Once applied, I wait 45 minutes to let the mask do it’s magic. You can do less time but I like to get the full effect. Then I just wipe off with a washcloth. After, my skin feels revived, refreshed and awake. I love applying my oils after and then waking up to skin that is seriously happy and radiant. The mask detoxifies while at the same time nourishing and giving back so many nutrients into the skin. A serious skin treat!
So what’s in this mask that makes it so magical?! The ingredients in the mask are amazing and really make this “glow” happen. Cacao is a known antioxidant that helps to slow the aging process and beef up collagen to give skin it’s health back. Plus, it helps to bring circulation to the skin, causing it to absorb nutrients better. If that wasn’t enough there are a chockfull of plant oils that help moisturize, repair and calm the skin. Best of all? This mask is perfect for any skin type! Dry, sensitive, oily-anyone can benefit-I’ve seen it for myself. I have dry skin and my sister has oily and it does wonders for us both. Oh, and did I mention the ingredients are 100% certified organic? Yeah, and Josh goes to great lengths to ensure every ingredient is in its purest form when selected. Check out his stance on ingredient integrity here. It’s really all about plant ingredients with Josh’s Products and for good reason. These plants are living and active and offer such a similar composition to our own skin. I believe it’s really how skincare is intended to be made-with the earth as it’s source.
As if the Cacao Antioxidant Mask wasn’t enough to make you swoon this month, there’s also another skin product in the box. The sidekick this month is Josh’s Hydrating Accelerator. This is another Josh product that I’m quite familiar with and love. This mist really does it all-from hydrating, toning and moisturizing. The basis of the mist is aloe vera, which helps the skin absorb nutrients more efficiently and plumps up the overall texture of the skin. Herbs also help to calm the skin and reduce redness. I love spraying this on after cleansing before serums/oils and also before and after a mask. A serious skincare must in my opinion! Plus, this little tonic smells like vanilla, can you say mmm! I’m addicted to the smell alone. I even spray this throughout the day for a quick pick me up of hydration.
This month’s Beauty Heroes box had me swooning in every way! I really can’t say enough about Josh and the integrity and quality of his products. If you haven’t signed up for Beauty Heroes I suggest you do it today before this box sells out! Also, if you are already a member don’t forget to check out the Beauty Heroes store. Full of Beauty Hero products! Have you used this month’s hero?
I had heard so many rave reviews about GRESSA skin, I couldn’t wait to try them out! They are known for creating luminous glowing skin. Not only do they carry skincare, but makeup as well. Their skincare line offers products for a variety of skin types. From sensitive, normal, acne, and even anti-aging. The makeup line also offers a foundation, lip boost, bronzer, highlighter and even a cheek tint. With ingredients that will make you swoon in each product! They have a whole page on their website dedicated to explaining the main ingredients-which I love. Svetlana is the creator of these masterpieces. She came from a family who was involved in traditional herbalism-so creating pure products came naturally to her. I love the quote on their website:
“GRESSA was born out of desire to create something very special and worthy of a woman’s delicate skin. “
I believe Svetlana did just that. I had the pleasure of trying out a few products from the collection, and I can say that they left me wanting more. Here’s what I tried:
I was probably most excited to try this foundation out. I had seen it gracing so many faces, and it looked stunning. It is different than any other foundation I’ve used. It’s actually a facial serum and foundation in one. It comes in a bottle with a dropper. Not only are you putting on a great foundation everyday, but nutrient vitamins your skin will drink up. The serum doesn’t feel oily like you might think. But it feels similar to a really watered down, thin paint. I applied a few drops onto my fingers, and applied it on my face-quite like I would a facial serum. Once it came in contact with my skin it dried, and created this flawless finish. It’s a matte finish but not dry looking. The foundation covered redness, and gave my skin an overall pulled together look. However, it looked like I wasn’t wearing anything-which I loved! It gives you a polished look, but looks very natural. Doesn’t every woman want that? I felt my skin could breathe and I wasn’t wearing a mask. I also, loved how it didn’t feel dry at all, and it looked just as good after a full day. A little goes a long way too! It didn’t cover a blemish I had, but I just used my concealer on it, and it blended in great with the foundation. If you’re looking for a foundation that makes you feel comfortable in your own skin, then this is it. $54
This highlighter is an amazing little product. Both the foundation and the highlighter coupled together create the perfect luminous glow. It comes in a similar serum bottle like the foundation, and is a liquid as well. It has more of a pearl translucent glow to it. I applied this wear I normally apply my luminizers. On the bridge of my nose, middle of low forehead, upper cheek bones below my eyes, cupid’s bow and middle of chin. Let’s just say I was glowing and in the best way possible! It dries to a smooth finish, and gives such a natural glow. It’s the perfect compliment to the Minimalist Foundation. A little goes a long way with this serum as well. A definite must for anyone wanting that natural, flawless glow. $45
I received a smaller sample packet of this, but a little goes a long way, so I did feel I got to experience it. It is similar to the Illuminating Serum and Minimalist Foundation. It also is a liquid and comes in a serum bottle. The color isn’t orange at all, but a beautiful bronzed brown. The perfect touch of warmth to finish off a look or contour the face. I applied it with my fingertips as well, and blended quickly. It gave my skin warmth, but looked so natural and flawless. It was a little trickier to use at first, but after a couple tries I figured out I needed a lot less product than I was using and that helped. This pairs perfect with the foundation, and highlighter. If your not into powdered or cream bronzers this is your gem. $45
This lip boost is a definite must in my makeup bag now. They come in these cute little glass jars. It’s not glossy or goopy, but a matte lip color that offers moisture and color. Jolie is the perfect coral. It gives my lips a natural, understated look that I love. It’s so easy to apply too, even without a mirror since it isn’t goopy at all. I even used it as a blush on my cheeks. They also have the lip boost in several other colors. GRESSA sent me a smaller sample of the color Radiant- a poppy pink color, and Brilliant-a gold matte color, which I loved as well! $29
I also received a smaller sample of the Rejuvenating Mist. This mist is no joke though! One of my favorite toners to date…I savored every last drop of it. The neroli shines through in it and awakens my senses. The best part though? It actually leaves my skin feeling hydrated. So many toners leave my skin feeling dry and thirsty for more-not this one! This leaves behind hydrated skin and a beautiful scent. I love that it comes in a dark glass bottle too, which helps preserve the product. A stellar toner in anyone’s skin care regimen. $33
Well, that sums up my GRESSA review. Have you tried any of their products? GRESSA is so kind and is offering a travel size skincare kit of Dirty Pretty Things, Purifying Cleanser, and Night Repair Elixir with any purchase. Use code: GURLGONEGREEN in the notes section(not the discount code section). This starts today (Wednesday) and ends Friday at midnight PST. Don’t miss out on this great deal! Snag some Gressa loot and get your free skincare kit too!