So excited to be sharing with you episode #29 on how to set achievable goals with Rose and Suzi. Today we are pulling back the curtain on what goals look like and how to achieve the ones you set. It can often seem daunting setting goals, thinking you’re not actually going to achieve them. However, we are sharing what’s worked for us and what setting realistic goals actually look like. Plus, we are busting some common goal myths too and why mindset is so important. This episode is so good and perfect for the new year as everyone has goals on their mind.
Connect with Suzi and Rose-
Suzi- Instagram, Facebook, Blog Rose- Instagram
- How we set goals
- All about planners
- Favorite podcasts on mindset/goals
- Favorite books on mindset/goals
- The importance of having a few goals versus many
- Why you should have a goal
- What is a word for the year
- Why focus is so important
Links Mentioned in The Podcast-
*Sponsorship- This episode is brought to you by:
Why We Love It?
- Goat whey has demonstrated positive anti-inflammatory effects in the digestive system. Cow whey has shown increased inflammatory effects.
- Cow whey is considered allergenic whereas goat whey is considered hypoallergenic.
- Whey protein is the “gold standard” for serious athletes. Goat whey is the “gold standard” of that “gold standard.”
- Goat whey is amazing for our immune systems, supporting lean muscle growth and repair, as well as optimal body composition.
- Goat whey has the full range of essential amino acids in ratios that best support the athlete in all of us
- It is really light and doesn’t ever makes us feel bloated. That’s because there is nothing added to fill up space, just the purest goat whey and flavoring.
- Activ Whey is a goat whey protein that comes from goats that are grassfed all the way through their lifecycle. There are zero antibiotics or hormones used on the goats or the vegetation they eat from.
- I personally know the creator and can vouch for the legitimacy of the protein and where it is sourced from.
DID YOU LOVE IT?!
If you did, don’t forget to subscribe on Itunes! And while you’re there, could you please leave us a “golden” review? It would really make our day and help spread the word about healthy living.
We love hearing from you! If you enjoyed this podcast, take a screenshot of you listening to it on your phone and tag us! @gurlgonegreen and @roseangove and hashtag #thegoldenhourpodcast
We are at it again with the best of clean beauty 2018! My girl Lisa from the blog This Organic Girl and I are dishing up our faves this year in clean and natural beauty. This is our third year in a row and the post always seems to be a crowd favorite.
Join the 5 Day Clean Living Challenge and start living your best natural life!
I’m going to give you a quick run down on some past favorites too that we can’t stope reaching for, plus some personal picks that I’ve tried and Lisa hasn’t. But before I do, I wanted to share a little about two places that keep me well stocked when it comes to clean and natural beauty products.
The first is The Detox Market–
Just some of the clean beauty you can find at detox market!
This was the very first green beauty store I shopped at. I still remember angels singing when I visited the actual store in L.A. Ok, maybe angels weren’t singing but it felt like I had arrived in green beauty heaven! They have ALL the brands and more. You want some Josh Rosebrook- they’ve got you covered. Need some Osmia Organics in your life, sister they have it. Want some Odacite? No problem- they have the whole line. It’s your one stop shop for all things natural beauty! They have a list of ingredient standards, which lists ingredients they don’t allow in their formulations, so you can be sure your products are squeaky clean.
I remember hearing about their pop up shop in 2010- I was salivating to go! It was at the same time I had started to detox my beauty products. It’s so crazy to think where The Detox Market is today! There’s so many natural options, compared to 8 years ago. I love their mission on educating the consumer and bringing awareness. Forever a Detox Market fan! You can basically get any clean beauty product from their store.
Also, I love Boxwalla!
Love this clean beauty box by Boxwalla. It hits all the marks when it comes to a clean beauty box.
This is a clean beauty box that you can get bi-monthly. In case you’re not familiar with Boxwalla– allow me to introduce you. This box delivers some of the best of green beauty. I find that’s what sets them apart from other green beauty boxes is their thoughtful curations. I always find they go out on a limb and really find brands and artisans that I haven’t heard of- which I love! If you’re into trying new brands and discovering people that truly love their craft- this box is for you. I also love that this box is bi-monthly versus every month. It helps me to savor each box and really get to know the products. Their selections are always cruelty free as well. The products are also free of certain ingredients according to Boxwalla standards. You can find the specific ingredients they avoid here. Another reason I love getting behind this box! Plus, don’t get me started on their actual boxes the products come in- seriously next level. I keep each box and give them to others with gifts in them because they’re so gorgeous! Read below on how their boxes are made. A quote from Boxwalla’s website:
Each box containing Boxwalla goodies is carefully crafted from tree-free handmade paper. A small company in India makes the paper for us, from cotton scraps, using the traditional art of paper-making that involves 9 steps and takes several weeks. The handmade paper is then meticulously fashioned into the boxes that you see in the pictures. The whole process is completely child labor free and employs 63 local villagers and 20 skilled artisans whose families have been making paper for generations. We love supporting socially and environmentally conscious businesses such as these: They craft beautiful products while preserving traditional crafts and skills that would otherwise be completely lost.
If you want to start the new year off right and start discovering the best of green beauty, sign up for a Boxwalla box here!
Here are past favorites of Lisa and I that we can’t get away from:
Lisa and I wearing the beloved Mermaid Mask by Leahlani skincare.
Ok, on to the BEST OF CLEAN BEAUTY 2018!
- Moss Skincare Beurre Céleste Honey Antioxidant Infusion Recovery Mask in Cleansing Baume- It was love at first swipe when I used this cleansing mask/balm. It comes in a balm form and quickly melts in your hands and removes makeup and grime so effortlessly. Your skin feels so clean, and not stripped in any way. I often use it in the mornings and leave it on my skin while I brush my teeth. Such a unique formula too because it’s completely waterless- so no preservative!
- African Botanics Fleurs de’Afrique- An amazing plant based retinol oil that my skin LOVES! I literally have seen a brightness in my skin and hyper pigmentation fade- no joke. If you got it, then you know what I’m talking about. I discovered this in a Boxwalla box- they are always dishing out the good stuff.
- Kosas Lipstick- These lipsticks are the best. To own a Kosas lipstick is to love it! These are pigmented, long lasting and moisturizing. I almost have all 8 colors in the collection and there isn’t a bad color.
- Odacite Lip Serum- I had never used a lip serum like this on my lips until Odacite’s. It helps to hydrate, minimize fine lines on the lips and plump. I love applying as my last step in my skincare routine. My lip’s nightly nightcap!
- Laurel Sun Damage Repair Serum- This is a serum and oil in one that helps to repair sun damaged skin. The formula contains 27 whole organic plants! It helps to reverse the signs of aging that the sun brings. It also helps to brighten and fade age spots. The oil feels richer on the skin but it also seeps right in. When I used it I noticed a decrease in overall redness, faded sun spots and clearer skin tone.
- Khus Khus Modern Herbal Fusion + RASA Restorative Potion- This is such a unique body cream. Not only does it contain adaptogenic herbs but Ayurvedic and Western nervine herbs as well. It helps to bring a calm to the nervous system. It feels so soothing and healing! Plus, my skin feels so hydrated as well.
- True Botanicals Cellular Repair Serum, Antioxidant Booster and Vitamin C Booster- The Cellular Repair Serum is designed to reverse the cellular damage caused by sun exposure and aging. Pretty sure everyone wants to sign up for that-am I right?! Besides reversing cellular damage it also replenishes moisture and plumps up skin. It’s highly concentrated and goes past the surface of the skin to really get to the cellular level. This Vitamin C Booster treatment is preserved in it’s freshest form. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps to even skin tone, brighten and fade wrinkles, stimulate collagen, plus firm and repair skin. I mean every face needs this stuff. You might be wondering why it comes in a powder form. When vitamin c is mixed with a liquid it slowly loses potency. By keeping it in powder form you can be assured it’s in it’s freshest form. The Antioxidant Booster is similar to the Vitamin C Booster but it uses apple peel powder instead, which has actually been shown to be more powerful then Vitamin C! It helps brighten dark spots, even out skin tone and firm skin.
- Sappho Brow Pomade- When my beloved brow cream that I had been using for a couple year from Hynt was reformulated I was back to the drawing board to find one that worked just as good! Thankfully Sappho answered my prayers. This works so well. Leaves my brows looking natural and so easy to apply. I wear the color dark brown black.
- Honest Beauty Mascara- If you’ve followed me for a hot minute you know I’m OBSESSED with this mascara! It’s the best I’ve found in green beauty. It gives my lashed definition, length and drama. Plus, you can get it on Amazon and it’s under $15! I know- we hit the jackpot with this one.
- Osmia Body Oil- I can’t get enough of Osmia’s Body Oil. It’s like the biggest drink of water for your body. Your skin will thank you and so will your mind as you wrap yourself in this goodness. I apply mine right out of the shower or bath and my skin stays silky smooth all day. I love the Night Oil scent- with notes of lavender, roman chamomile and atlas cedarwood. But if you don’t like scent you would love their naked oil- it has no essential oils in it.
- Maya Chia The Optimist Hydrating Essence- I get SO excited for any new Maya Chia product and The Optimist was no exception. This gem is housed in a dark glass bottle, preserving every last drop of goodness. Smells divine with hints of neroli, sweet orange, and ylang ylang. The formula itself feels so hydrating on the skin and refreshing with white tea, antioxidants, fatty acids and phytonutrients- just to name a few. I can’t forget the actual spray function. It works so well! I know it might sound funny, but after truing hundreds of mists in my day, the spray function is actually quite important. You don’t want the mist to feel like it’s attacking your skin or spraying you in the eye! The Optimist sprays so well all over the face. The founder Susanne nailed it!
Honest Beauty Mascara is my favorite green beauty mascara.
Here are some favorites of mine that I discovered this year and I can’t not share:
- Beautycounter’s Face Wipes- These wipes are the best I’ve found in green beauty. They offer the perfect amount of moisture, and they remove all my makeup! Plus, they’re biodegradeable.
- Beauty counter’s Eye shadows- I love these shadows. They get the best eye shadow award in clean beauty hands down! They are so pigmented, go on smooth and stay on forever- the whole day. Trust me- you will be hooked once you use them. They are having a sale right now for 30% off their holiday eye palettes too!
- Beautycounter’s Eye Makeup Remover- Ok, I seriously was so excited when I tried this eye makeup remover. All you Mary Kay fans will get me. Back in the day I used to be big Mary Kay Eye Makeup Remover devotee. It was the best I found and since I stopped using it I’ve never even able to find a replacement. Until now! This eye makeup remover works like a charm- can’t say it enough. If you like having an eye makeup remover- you’ll love this!
- Ilia Eye Primer- I have finally found my favorite eye primer in clean beauty! This magic little wand does not mess around. It keeps my eye shadows in place the whole day, no creasing, or smudging. I can’t recommend it enough.
- Tata Harper’s Clarifying Mask- I had tried this once before this year but nothing more. It had been a small sample. Then I got a full jar and lets just say, it quickly dwindled! This helps purify pores, detoxify the skin and leave you with an overall glow. Can’t get enough!
That’s it for The Best Of Clean Beauty 2018! Want to see what The Best Of Clean Beauty 2016 and 2017 was? Check out 2016 here and 2017 here.
Go check out my girl Lisa’s take on all our faves, plus see what 5 products she discovered this year!
*Also don’t forget to check out our Instagram pages @gurlgonegreen and @thisorganicgirl to enter to win over $500 worth of clean beauty loot!
See any faves?
Are you ready for 13 Days of Giveaways?! Fasten your seat belt because this is going to be so good! I’ve teamed up with my girl Lisa from This Organic Girl to bring you our favorite green beauty products. And guess what?! We are giving away not 1 set but 2! That’s right, 2 winners each day! It doesn’t get much better.
It’s all happening on Instagram. Be sure to follow Lisa @thisorganicgirl and Suzi @gurlgonegreen on there to be able to enter to win each day. Below I’m sharing what is up for grabs and why I love the products so much!
We are giving away not 1 $200 gift card but 2!
I love shopping at Aillea. They have all the “IT” green beauty brands, from Rahua, Innersense, Kosas, Lily Lolo and more. You’ll be in green beauty heaven! Besides their online stores they also have 5 brick and mortar stores. They make it so easy to get all my favorite products all in one spot. Shop Aillea here!
I’ll be giving away Active Enzyme Exfoliator, Hair spray, Cacao Antioxidant Mask, and Vital Balm Cream. A Some serious loot!
If you’ve been in green beauty for a hot minute then you know Josh Rosebrook! His products speak for themselves and are fan worthy for sure. A I remember trying his hair spray for the first time after trying so many bad ones and being so excited I found one that works so well! A His Active Enzyme Exfoliator is one of the best for smoothing out skin and getting your glow on. A Shop all of Josh Rosebrook here!
I’ll be giving away The Optimist, The Super Couple Serum, Highlight of the day(you can choose color), Supercritical Waterless Balm. Talk about a stellar giveaway!
It’s been almost 2 years since I tried my first Maya Chia product and let’s just say it’s been a good two years! They perform so well. The first product I tried was The Super Couple Serum- one of my holy grail oil serums! I was hooked on the products after that. The all star ingredient in Maya Chia is the supercritical chia oil. Not only is chia oil heralded for it’s fast absorbing ability, but also for it’s antioxidants, minerals, and omega 3’s skin’s dream team! You can say bye to fine lines and wrinkles. Plus, it has clinically been proven to increase hydration. Shop all of Maya Chia here!
I’ll be giving away Honey Berry Enzyme Mask, Sun Damage Repair Serum, Brightening Mask, bowl + brush.
Love Laurel products and all she stands for, a cut above! She prides herself on sourcing and plant actives in each formula. Her products perform so well. I remember using the Sun Damage Repair Serum for the first time and literally seeing a transformation in my skin after a few weeks. They are rich in color because of the potency too! Shop Laurel here!
I’ll be giving away 3 lip serums(winner gets to choose color) and their lipstick trio in a bag.
Fitglow products are the perfect marriage between products that perform and nourish the skin. The founder includes vitamins and antioxidants in her formulas that really create change in the skin. Even her lip serums are loaded with active ingredients. If you haven’t tried the lip serums, then you’re in for a serious treat! Best lip gloss! Shop all Fitglow here!
I’ll be giving away her Night Oil, Whipped Body Mousse and bar of soap.
Osmia was started by Sarah, an ER doctor. She had no intention of starting a skincare company but after taking a soap making class she knew she was in love. After two years of relentless soap making, product testing, perfume making she jumped full force into Osmia, leaving the medical field. With top notch natural ingredients, Osmia will inspire you towards a healthier lifestyle. Big on educating the consumer, I love how Osmia lists products they use on their website and products they don’t use and why. They even discuss their packaging and why it’s so important to care. I love their philosophy and commitment to excellence. Shop Osmia here!
I’ll be giving away their Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation, AER Deodorant, Multi-Use Sticks, Organic Lip Conditioner, and Clarity Organic Makeup Remover.
Vapour has been a household green beauty name for a while. They were one of the first brands I tried 7 years ago! Not only are the ingredients clean, but the products work and last. One thing that all Vapour products have in common is their dewiness they give to your overall look. Making your skin glow! This mama is all about that glow. The Multi-Use sticks are one of the most universal products. You can use them on your cheeks, lips and eyes! Shop all of Vapour here!
I’ll be giving away an Antioxidant Booster, Renew Pure Radiance Oil, and Cellular Repair Serum. Hello!
When I think of TB what sticks out to me is a luxe anti-aging line. Using the most potent ingredients, TB spares no expense when it comes to creating their products. They care about quality and seeing products that actually perform, while at the same time are safe. A truly unique company in the green beauty industry. I also love how they do clinical tests on their products. Something that is rare among the natural skincare industry. Proven results, with clean ingredients-what more could you want? The Antioxidant Booster and Cellular Repair Serum are staples in my skincare routine always. Shop True Botanicals here!
I’ll be giving away a Baked Mineral Bronzer, Eye shadow duo and their mascara.
I was introduced to this organic makeup line this last year and I’ve found so many treasures within it! From their bronzers to their eye shadows and mascara. They all perform so well! They give your skin a natural look, without looking overdone. Lisa touts this mascara as her favorite in green beauty! Check out all of Inika products here!
I’ll be giving away a Luna Rose and Honey Mask + Cleanser, Lavender Cocoa Polish, AER Hyaluronic Acid Serum, AER Fresh Complexion Toning Elixir- YES!
I first discovered Live Botanical at IBE Dallas. I had the pleasure of meeting the maker and founder Carolyn. It was so great to connect and hear her enthusiasm for herbs. Sometimes people merely create a line but I could instantly tell this was Carolyn’s passion. Although she is an herbalist, much of how Carolyn sees skincare is based on her 15+ years in the technology field as an analyst. It’s always so fascinating to see how people get their start in skincare. It’s not often I find products that not only are clean, but also effective and budget friendly. Shop all of Live Botanical here!
I’ll be giving away 1 3 month subscription to Beauty Heroes!
Beauty Heroes was founded by Jeannie Jarnot. A longtime spa director herself and healthy beauty expert. I had the pleasure of meeting Jeannie last year at IBE, and she is truly one of the sweetest people. Beauty Heroes is a monthly beauty service that selects only the best clean beauty brands. Each month you can find one to two full size truly heroic products in each box. The products typically range from skincare to haircare products. However, every 3 months Beauty Heroes offers a makeup box as well that’s optional for members or non-members. I absolutely love their “Use Less, Love More” philosophy. By only getting one or two products, you allow yourself to truly experience them. Of course you can trust their picks, as they are strict on their integrity standards. Sign up for a subscription here!
I’ll be giving away a Mermaid Mask, Honey Love Exfoliator, Mahina Serum, and Bohemian Ruby Toner.
Every time I open a jar, or bottle of Leahlani skincare I feel like I’m getting a hand signed love note written just to me. It may have to do with the fact that each, and every creation is made by hand. Can you just imagine all the love, and care that goes into each bottle? It’s no wonder my skin sings when anything Leahlani is applied! I haven’t even mentioned ingredients, but they’re dreamy. Organic cold pressed oils, mineral rich clays, Hawaiian honey nectars, pure essential oils, and potent botanicals are just a few ingredients that make up Leahlani skincare. Pure goodness delivered straight to your skin-what more could you want? Shop all of Leahlani here!
We are giving away a full set of their lipstick collection away!
These lipsticks are my fave in natural beauty! They offer a ton of color options, are highly pigmented and last. Plus, they’re hydrating. Trust me, you’ll be hooked in no time. Some favorite colors I love are Thrillest, Royal, and Rosewater. There isn’t a bad color- seriously. They also have other makeup products that I love. One of them is their new tinted face oil- so good. Snag some Kosas here!
See any faves? Be sure to check out my girl Lisa’s blog post here to read up on her favorites! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram to get the latest on all the giveaways! Follow Lisa here and myself here!
I’m so excited to share why I decided to join Beautycounter! This post has been a long time coming. If you would have told me 6 months ago that I was going to be joining Beautycounter I would have laughed. For those of you who have followed me for a long time this may come as a big surprise to you. That’s one of the reasons why I wanted to share why I decided to join Beautycounter. To not only share why I changed my mind but also share more about Beautycounter and their mission- because they mission is great and something I had no idea about. I didn’t care to listen, read, or watch.If you don’t care about reading about why I joined and just want me to share my experience with the product- then scroll to the end! 🙂 I’ve got pics of me wearing the products! And my thoughts. Plus, don’t forget to shop right now! Beautycounter’s Black Friday Sale started today! They rarely have sales- like hardly ever, so this is pretty big. Shop 15% off sitewide plus, free shipping on orders of $50 or more! Shop here!
I want to share first why I used to be against Beautycounter:
- I didn’t like the MLM or direct sales model- whatever you want to call it. I’ve been pitched to about Beautycounter more than I can count. Some have been nice and thought out but others to be honest seemed really salsey and impersonal. It turned me off.
- They had ingredients in their products that I thought were bad. Specifically talc and phenoxyethanol. I’ve since done a deep dive into both and I’m no longer fearful of either. I’ll share more about it this below.
- All other green beauty bloggers around me were against it and so of course so was I. I guess you could say I followed the pack! Everyone has their standards and I can only make this decision for myself. It just feels good to make MY own educated decision though and have researched it. I think it’s easy to get swept up in things, and listen to what bloggers say as Bible. People think what I say is absolute all the time. I constantly want to encourage others to do their own research- us bloggers don’t know everything- far from it. We are all on a journey!
Overall, I didn’t give Beautycounter a chance. I didn’t read up on them, or even entertain conversations about them. I simply looked at some of their products on their site and that was it.
Ingredient Deep Dive- Phenoxyethanol and Talc
Phenoxyethanol- This is used as a preservative in products. If a product contains water or aloe, it needs a preservative otherwise mold, yeast and bacteria can grow. There is a lot of false statements about phenoxyethanol out there on the internet. Trust me- I’ve read them! Beautycounter uses a pure form of phenoxyethanol, which has been tested twice by Tufts University. They have also had 1,4 dioxane and ethylene oxide tested on their raw form and it came back negative. Phenoxyethanol is not bioaccumulative so it’s not something that builds up in your body like many chemicals can. Beautycounter only allows products to contain less than 1% of phenoxyethanol in all their products. They work with formulators to only use what’s absolutely necessary. I don’t know about you but I’ve had multiple green beauty products have mold in them! Preservatives have been made to be the villain. We need them in formulations. Obviously, there are good ones and bad. Would I recommend you use any brand that has a product that contains phenoxyethanol-no. It’s important to know the sourcing. I trust Beautycounter’s work and efforts to make sure they have a clean source and our third party testing to ensure it stays clean.
It’s also important to understand the studies done and the percentages used. Many people are citing studies that have used 100% phenoxyethanol! I don’t care what chemical you use, you’re going to have some negative impacts when used at that high of a dosage. Some reports also state irritation when using phenoxyethanol. I would say to check if the source is clean but to also see how much they’re using in a product.
Made Safe and EWG the two most credible third party non-toxic certifications enable phenoxyethanol to be used at less than 1%.
The thing I love and respect about Beautycounter is that they are constantly wanting to improve and find better solutions. They don’t claim to know it all! They are working with industry leaders to always find a newer list of preservatives to use. They have worked to create a Safer Preservative Challenge and Sustainable Chemistry Alliance. I would also be cautious of new preservatives that have come out on the market that claim to be clean when no research has been done on them. Let’s always keep asking questions!
Talc- I had thought talc was a big no, no since I went green 8 years ago. But I’ve quickly learned I was wrong. Talc isn’t bad, it’s the by product of talc- asbestos and other heavy metals that can be the problem. Beautycounter works only with a certified company that is asbestos free and they don’t stop there, they then third party test all their talc to ensure there’s no contamination. Once again, Beautycounter always takes their efforts to the next level!
My biggest piece of advice as I preach all the time as a green blogger is to do your own research and be your own advocate! Don’t just believe everything you read, hear or see.
Fast Forward several months and now I want to share why I decided to join Beautycounter and why I changed my mind. I thought about this and it really boiled down to 5 main things.
Third Party Testing-
For those who might not be aware of what third party testing is, let me explain. Third party testing is an independent organization that tests the product to ensure it is what it’s supposed to be. They make sure it’s safe and has the ingredients it’s supposed to have in it. For ex. Beautycounter had to recall some of their face cream back in 2017 because of a failed preservative and microbial growth. I don’t know any green/natural beauty brands that are third party testing their products! The FDA is so loose on regulations for beauty products. A company could manufacture a product and list the ingredients on the label but the ingredients could be different then what’s actually in the label- and no one would know.
Beautycounter’s mission is to create laws that would force companies to be accountable. To be honest, I really didn’t fully understand this or think it was a big deal when it came to beauty until my own health journey with hashimotos. I learned that heavy metals could be a trigger for my thyroid condition! I also had a doctor share her own journey with heavy metal toxicity and an autoimmune condition. I’m not sharing this to bring fear but to be aware. I’ve been in this space for a long time and I wouldn’t have thought about heavy metals in products before. Beautycounter tests their makeup line three times for 10 heavy metals before they put it out for the consumer. Since natural makeup contains many minerals from the earth, even though they’re natural, they still can carry a load of heavy metals. If you’re using these consistently that can produce a heavy metal load. The fact that Beautycounter third party tests all their products is huge. I literally know what’s in each product!
They aren’t just third party testing for heavy metals but for common toxic ingredients like phthalates, formaldehyde, 1,4 dioxane, etc.
This coalition is pretty amazing! Beautycounter created this alliance of companies that supports the Personal Care Products Safety Act. If you’re not familiar with the bill it would require manufacturers to post complete label information about products online and force beauty companies to provide the Food and Drug Administration with information about the ingredients used in their products. The last time a bill was passed to regulate personal care products it was 1938! I think it’s time to start linking arms and make our voices heard.
Companies in the coalition are well known green beauty brands.
- Vapour Organics, Annamarie Skincare, Follain, OSEA, Rahua, Silk Therapeutics, S.W. Basics, Vinter’s Daughter, and TenOverTen to name a few. Beauty Counter unified everyone and created something so much more impactful than if everyone was on their own. There are power in numbers! I love that Beauty Counter isn’t trying to bring other companies down but create positive change together. I love the quote from founder Gregg Refrew-
I set out to get safer products in the hands of everyone, not to get Beautycounter products into the hands on everyone.
Beautycounter is creating change and that’s something I want to be a part of!
Wearing Beautycounter’s BC Red Color Intense Lipstick, Satin Powder Blush in Guava and The Classic Eyeshadow Palette in Ivory, Sahara and Copper.
Beautycounter Spreads The Clean Beauty Message-
Isn’t that what it’s all about? Getting the clean beauty message out! Beautycounter is pioneering this. For so long I was against one of the companies making the biggest impacts in the natural beauty industry. Instead of linking arms to join in the support to raise awareness I was fighting it. They have the resources and have set it up where people are getting educated and empowered to make better choices for themselves and their families. I want to be part of a movement that is supporting the clean beauty movement and women in business.
The amount of work they are doing to clean up the industry is amazing. You can literally get email updates on their advocacy work by signing up here!
We can do more TOGETHER!
This is one of my favorite aspects of Beautycounter. The people you meet. Women seriously passionate about making a difference and sharing it with their friends and family. Beautycounter first and foremost wants to educate the consumer and the amount of materials and resources they share is amazing!
Learning from one another- that’s what it’s all about. Not, I know more than you, here’s what to think, but an open dialogue where we are always growing. People aren’t just detoxing their beauty but their lives. It opens up the conversation. When you have a community of women who are sharing together- good things happen. You can lean on one another.
Beautycounter Supports Women Building Businesses-
Ok, this point is one that I strongly believe in and I’m so passionate about. I love that women can create a business that fits their lifestyle. A business that can support their family. If you would have told me I would be in direct sales 6 months ago, I would have thought you were joking. But now I get it. When your passion lines up with it, it’s impossible to say no.
Gregg, the founder, set it up as direct sales because she wanted it to be personal and relational. She wanted to educate the consumer. She could have set it up to be a retail but she didn’t. She wanted consumers to know ingredients and to ask questions. That’s why she chose direct sales. The stories I’ve heard from women being able to support their families are definitely moving to say the least.
From being able to buy healthier food now for their family because of earning extra income through Beautycounter. To being able to take their family on a vacation or affording a mom to stay at home with her kids. Beautycounter has literally changed these women’s lives.
I recently watched a video where Gregg the founder shared why women need stop apologizing for being in direct sales. Why are we apologizing? Because we now can afford to live the lifestyle we want? To pay for those ballet lessons for our child or educate others about nontoxic products? It’s silly! We need to own it and realize the change we’re making!
Those are my 5 reasons why I joined Beautycounter. These are my why’s.
Beautycounter’s Classic Eyeshadow Palette, Guava Satin Powder Blush and Color Intense Lipstick in BC Red.
I also wanted to share with you some of the product I’ve tried and their bestsellers-
As I mentioned above, don’t forget to grab some product now! Beautycounter rarely has sales of any kind and their Black Friday sale starts today 12/20! It’s 15% off sitewide and free shipping over $50!
The products I’ve tried are their Classic Eyeshadow Palette, Satin Powder Blush in Guava and their Color Intense Lipstick in BC Red(this was a limited edition, but they have one super close to the color called Girl’s Night, it’s your classic red). I’ve been super impressed with the products! The performance is amazing. The eyeshadows are the best I’ve used in green beauty. They’re highly pigmented, and stay on the whole day! The blush is also highly pigmented and long lasting. Guava is the perfect pop of pink to warm up the cheeks. The lipstick color is 100! Literally, if you’ve followed me for a while you know I love me a good red lipstick and the BC red does not disappoint. It also lasts crazy long. It has a rich feel to it.
I’m going to be sharing my experience with other products too- follow me on Instagram to get the most up to date looks! Also, don’t forget to shop the Holiday Collection! From what I’ve been told, it’s a limited edition, and they only bring back a few select items. Shop Holiday here!
Here are some Best Sellers from Beautycounter:
Ok, that’s all my thoughts on why I joined Beautycounter for now! Thanks for reading. Don’t forget to head to Beautycounter’s website to shop some product and stock up for the holidays! I hope you feel informed, and educated. If you have any questions or want to become a consultant, feel free to email me at [email protected] I would love to have you on my team!
What did it feel like going makeup free for a week? Well, let’s first start with why I even began this journey. I recently had an experience where I was judging my own mother- I know sounds horrible. Honestly, I feel bad even writing it. I was at church and I saw my mom and my first thought was, oh she isn’t wearing makeup. Now, my mom definitely doesn’t wear makeup all the time and doesn’t even wear a lot. She has amazing skin and is naturally gorgeous. However, whenever you go to church you put your face on- or at least that’s what I thought. I remember seeing her and thinking why aren’t you wearing makeup? Are you starting the trend like many women as they age and just go bare faced? I was concerned she wasn’t taking care of herself. Fast forward a couple of days later and I found out she couldn’t wear makeup for a while because she had a procedure done on her eyes. As you can imagine I felt horrible! What kind of daughter judges her own mother for not wearing makeup, but secondly what type of daughter does it after her mom has gone through several eye treatments? Well apparently me.
It got me thinking really hard. What is my relationship with makeup? Why did I feel the need to care if my mom was wearing makeup or not? Better yet, does makeup define my appearance? These are questions I really sat with for a while. Then I started to realize I didn’t like what my answers were. Who do I blame for these feelings of judgment on myself and others? Society, associations with family and friends and growing up reading the latest fashion and style magazines. Now I’m not trying to point fingers but I do want to bring to light these 3 areas as I feel they do affect us more than we realize.
Society- We see it on TV all the time, women who are successful put their makeup on in the morning and look put together before going to work. I mean do you really see successful women trotting into the office with no makeup? Maybe you do- which is great! But often I find we are portrayed that successful women put themselves together (hair and makeup) and unsuccessful women don’t. I even recently heard someone saying on social media how we should make sure we’re taking time to get our makeup on because we want to look good for our husbands and it sets the tone for the day. If my husband’s love is based on me getting my makeup on for the day, then is it even love?
Family/Friends- How you grow up obviously has a big effect on how you see the world. You may have grown up with a mom who never would go anywhere without makeup, you hardly knew what she looked like without it. Your friends started wearing makeup early on, and so you followed suit. You realized you got more attention from guys when you wore makeup, you felt accepted by your peers. Maybe your dad only complimented you when you had makeup on.
Fashion/Style Magazines- Yes, magazines. The power of magazines is real and I’m living proof. I remember I loved flipping through them as a teenager(keep in mind these are crucial formative years). Those glossy, perfectly polished photos called to me! I want my skin to look like that, I wanted that lip color for my lips, and I realized my eyelashes could use a boost. What really happened as I was perusing the latest magazines was the fact that I wasn’t measuring up. Mmm…sounds almost like social media these days! I realized I needed makeup in order to look like all the pretty models in the magazine. It could make me feel complete.
Barefaced for a week.
So here’s what I did…I went makeup free for a week. No makeup touched my skin. I was bared faced for everyone. It didn’t matter what was on my calendar. I want to share my takeaways and what I learned in the process about myself.
- My skin actually looked so much better after a week of no makeup. It was clearer, healthier looking and less congested.
- I saved time getting ready each morning.
- I realized my identity was oddly tied up in “putting my face on” each morning. In the past if I didn’t put my face on then I was staying at the house all day and wearing lululemon pants. But when you are going to meet up with friends and you’re not wearing any makeup…things start to feel different.
- I felt like I needed to explain to people I wasn’t wearing makeup- why? This was a weird realization. I noticed it first with my hubs and then on Instagram…it was so odd that I felt the need to almost apologize for not wearing makeup!
- Although my face felt clean, I didn’t feel completely put together. It was like I kept forgetting something.
- I realized how much my focus is on my appearance sadly.
- It was weird to do my hair and wear nice clothes but not wear makeup…like I had all the pieces but one.
- I kept thinking throughout the week, I wonder if people think I’m just not trying or caring for myself?
As you can see I had a lot of realizations as I went through this no makeup journey. Realizations I wasn’t necessarily proud of. But my hope is that by being vulnerable with you, it will cause you to take a deeper look at why you paint your face each day. It’s not that makeup is bad or the enemy. But the immense value and weight we place on it in our lives. I don’t want my girls growing up thinking makeup is needed for beauty. Beauty is so much deeper than that. Makeup is fun and I enjoy trying new lipsticks and color palettes! I don’t intend to stop. However, I will go days without wearing it, and being barefaced when it might seem uncomfortable. If I want my girls to embrace themselves fully, then I must first embrace myself. Flaws and all.
Beauty is not painted nails, a perfectly toned body, or wearing the latest makeup product. Sure those are pretty things but beauty is so much deeper. Beauty is seeing my daughter pick out her outfit for the day and wearing it proudly even when it doesn’t match. It’s seeing my Gracie Girl giggle at her sister. It’s watching my hubs sing my girls to sleep. Trust me, I ‘m not trying to get all mushy. But I’m trying to paint a picture of what beauty really is. It’s not the fake, the fluff or the exterior. It’s the simple things we see everyday that are truly beautiful. As a natural beauty blogger it’s important I share this message with my daughters. Makeup has it’s place as a fun hobby. But it’s not have it’s place as part of who I am. I’m not going to stop wearing makeup- no not at all. I’ve just become more aware of what I don’t want it to be and where it’s place is in my life. The minute I feel I’m not who I am without it, is the minute I need another makeup detox week to realign my true values.
Let’s stop letting society decide what beauty is and let’s make our own definition.
Have you found yourself ever wrestling with these thoughts? If you want my full skincare routine, check it out here!